• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

He ran a 4.54 at his Pro Day. https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=27001

But I think he displayed 4.4ish speed on that play Sun night. I just never though of him as possessing much speed. It was good to see him run like that.
    This one says 4.49 and 4.5 on two attempts but whichever, at his size that pretty fast imo,.... and has video of his runs. Looks like he is cruising lol.
    I believe Vince Jackson also ran a 4.5.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/s...tigers-pro-day
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 11-24-2021, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

You can view losing Mike Will as a negative or you can view it as an opportunity to get younger, faster, and cheaper at the position.

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Biletnikoff Award finalists announced. Jahan Dotson is not on this list.

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
          https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/wide-receiver/

Keenan is at #5 and Mike Will is #32.

Let's view this from the perspective of asset allocation. Having two $20 million dollar receivers on the roster, that is risky asset allocation, IMO.

Look at the list of rookies from Mike Will at #32 on down and the bang-for-the-buck they are producing on their rookie deals. I think they let Mike Will test the free agent waters and let him walk and address the WR in the 1st Round. I would trade that production for Jameson Williams or John Metchie at WR and feel comfortable at the WR position.

I would reallocate that $10 million per year to the defensive interior, sign free agent Akiem Hicks to a two-year deal for $9.5 per year, and draft DT in the 2nd Round. I am still concerned about RT. Counting on Bryan Bulaga's health is a terrible idea. Trade up into the 2nd Round and select an OT to replace Bulaga?

Jameson Williams became the first Tide player in with four receiving touchdowns of at least 75 yards in a single season for Alabama. Namath nor Ken Stabler had that.
          My point is to give Justin Herbert a true home-run hitter to grow old w/ who has a more friendly contract than Mike Williams can demand on the open market.

Keenan will be in the 3rd year of his current 4 year deal in 2022.
          MikeDub’s contract/Cap structure can be offset for Keenan’s Cap hits and/or redo Keenan’s contract after year 3 to fit Dub’s contract structure.
          We can sign any/all (hope not all) our pending FAs, extend Derwin, and be a major player in UFA with our 2022/future salary Cap situation.
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Keenan will be in the 3rd year of his current 4 year deal in 2022.
            MikeDub’s contract/Cap structure can be offset for Keenan’s Cap hits and/or redo Keenan’s contract after year 3 to fit Dub’s contract structure.
            We can sign any/all (hope not all) our pending FAs, extend Derwin, and be a major player in UFA with our 2022/future salary Cap situation.
            That logic is all sound and more than acceptable and Ed McGuire is certainly no fool and been great with the cap. My concern/fear begins and ends with two $20 million dollar receivers on the roster, viewed through my perspective on the total percentage of the pie.

I've two cases in which the Chargers were insufficiently pleased with the player's performance in their first contract and chose to move on rather than re-sign them: Drew Brees & Vincent Jackson, and I was here for both. This reminds me of both. We can discuss the merits of what we believe to be the correct behavior but in the end, I am of the opinion, Dean will have the final say. Whether Dean takes a conservative stance, or he's progressive and re-signs Mike Will, is the wait-and-see proposition of the off-season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Velo View Post

I'd like to see Allen do what Gates did, and play his entire career for the Chargers. He is 29 this year, but Allen is not the type of player who relies on youthful attributes - mainly speed - to be successful. He plays a cerebral game, and that kind of WR generally have longer careers.
              I see Allen differently than you do. Right now, he has just enough speed that, when combined with his great route running and quick get off on the snap, he is a great player. But this is not the Biletnikoff 1970s NFL and some LBs can already run with Allen in terms of speed. So, if he loses just a little more speed as he ages, will his other traits be able to compensate as they have thus far in his career?

I see a parallel with our former CB, Brandon Flowers. Flowers had an elite 10 yard split of 1.47, but his top end speed was not so great, resulting in a 4.55 40 even with the lightning fast 10 yard split. For years, Flowers was a very good CB. But in the end, the quickness could not make up for the lack of speed when he lost a step. When it came to speed, Flowers just did not have that much to spare.

I think it could be that way with Allen a few years from now. At some point, maybe he is so slow that he is no longer that effective even with the great get off and superior route running. And maybe he loses a little of his elite early quickness if/when he loses a step.

Right now, Allen is signed through his age 32 season. If he shows any sign of slowing down, I would rather let some other team sign him to a big contract for his age 33 and beyond seasons and take a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick in return, assuming that is where the free agency market places Allen's value as I could see at least one team signing a big name like Allen based upon his reputation.

I think Allen is very different than Gates, who used his big body and basketball positioning techniques to help create safe areas for passes from Rivers. If the receiver is so big that he can box out the defender, that is different than a WR that relies on initial quickness and strong route running.

I would be very careful about signing Allen to any further contracts. I would say no 3 or 4 year deals at a minimum and no big contracts with huge guaranteed money.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

This one says 4.49 and 4.5 on two attempts but whichever, at his size that pretty fast imo,.... and has video of his runs. Looks like he is cruising lol.
                I believe Vince Jackson also ran a 4.5.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/s...tigers-pro-day
                Jackson was barely faster at 4.46.

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

That logic is all sound and more than acceptable and Ed McGuire is certainly no fool and been great with the cap. My concern/fear begins and ends with two $20 million dollar receivers on the roster, viewed through my perspective on the total percentage of the pie.

I've two cases in which the Chargers were insufficiently pleased with the player's performance in their first contract and chose to move on rather than re-sign them: Drew Brees & Vincent Jackson, and I was here for both. This reminds me of both. We can discuss the merits of what we believe to be the correct behavior but in the end, I am of the opinion, Dean will have the final say. Whether Dean takes a conservative stance, or he's progressive and re-signs Mike Will, is the wait-and-see proposition of the off-season.
                  Save the money for resigning Herbert after year 3. If your a top 5 QB you are morally obligated to renegotiate the contract after year 3. Others on here have said we have him locked up through his 4th season. I say bullshit...why? Because it will be insulting to have two $20 million dollars receivers who are just very good and pissing all over Herbert's pay scale. I have no problem paying Mike Williams $15 mil a year but if he wants top dollar I'd let him walk. He's been saving himself up until he gets his big payday so there is that problem.

:coffee:
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Save the money for resigning Herbert after year 3. If your a top 5 QB you are morally obligated to renegotiate the contract after year 3. Others on here have said we have him locked up through his 4th season. I say bullshit...why? Because it will be insulting to have two $20 million dollars receivers who are just very good and pissing all over Herbert's pay scale. I have no problem paying Mike Williams $15 mil a year but if he wants top dollar I'd let him walk. He's been saving himself up until he gets his big payday so there is that problem.

I am all for getting Mike Will a healthy raise, but past that it gets complicated. And we still don't know what Mike wants. I want to hear it from Mikey.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Saving himself? This is his first season in an offense where he gets more targets and featured more while sacrificing his body for those jump balls the last 4 years.
                      He only needs 12 more targets to set a new career high and 4 more receptions for a new career high.

I think they will try and resign him. We have cheap TEs and every WR after those two are cheap. If he resigns elsewhere, there is a possibility we try and sign another WR.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                        Outback Goon
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Australia
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I see Allen differently than you do. Right now, he has just enough speed that, when combined with his great route running and quick get off on the snap, he is a great player. But this is not the Biletnikoff 1970s NFL and some LBs can already run with Allen in terms of speed. So, if he loses just a little more speed as he ages, will his other traits be able to compensate as they have thus far in his career?

I see a parallel with our former CB, Brandon Flowers. Flowers had an elite 10 yard split of 1.47, but his top end speed was not so great, resulting in a 4.55 40 even with the lightning fast 10 yard split. For years, Flowers was a very good CB. But in the end, the quickness could not make up for the lack of speed when he lost a step. When it came to speed, Flowers just did not have that much to spare.

I think it could be that way with Allen a few years from now. At some point, maybe he is so slow that he is no longer that effective even with the great get off and superior route running. And maybe he loses a little of his elite early quickness if/when he loses a step.

Right now, Allen is signed through his age 32 season. If he shows any sign of slowing down, I would rather let some other team sign him to a big contract for his age 33 and beyond seasons and take a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick in return, assuming that is where the free agency market places Allen's value as I could see at least one team signing a big name like Allen based upon his reputation.

I think Allen is very different than Gates, who used his big body and basketball positioning techniques to help create safe areas for passes from Rivers. If the receiver is so big that he can box out the defender, that is different than a WR that relies on initial quickness and strong route running.

I would be very careful about signing Allen to any further contracts. I would say no 3 or 4 year deals at a minimum and no big contracts with huge guaranteed money.
                        Kinda agree here. If i had to chose

I would let Slayer go and sign Mdub. Youth speed etc

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

I have to say, it would be a mistake to let Mike Williams walk this off season. He is the most clutch WR on the roster and most capable when the game is on the line and you absolutely have to move the ball or convert a 1st down. He was epic in the final two drives in regulation, converting 1st downs again and again, he caught the game tying TD with seconds left, and he kept the Chargers alive in OT with a 47 yd catch and run on 1st down, to put Hopkins in position to tie it.

Please don't let Williams go to another team and become a standout, like AP and HH in New England, or let him come back to haunt us like the former Chargers on the Raiders defense did last night.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍