• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • equivocation
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2021
    • Send PM

Pre Snap Motion

I know the penalties are frustrating but watch the Chiefs highlights again for how effective well executed pre snap motion can be in creating advantage.

We're in week 3 of year 1 of the system but you have to bet we're looking for that down the road.
  • DragonIce
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2021
    • Arizona
    • Send PM

So true EQ. Pre-snap motion allows a quarterback to see the motions and intents of the defenders on the field. Man2Man? Zone? What kind of zone? What are individual defender's intentions? It's a QB's Palantir, but offers other advantages as well.

1376719095_kYDkfJVlQ6inv3t6h8wm_lord_of_the_rings_crystal_ball.jpg
    Last edited by DragonIce; 09-27-2021, 03:38 AM.

Comment

• PhilaBoltster
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

As long as they all get set for a second before the snap.

Comment

• Heatmiser
        HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Chargers need to fix this. All the officiating crews will be watching them until they do. This game the shifts were more blatant than in the Cowboys game so calling them was not as upsetting to me, EXCEPT that I saw the Chiefs do it at least two times and not get called. Chiefs are the kings of motion and I think the refs just figure they are doing it right or it is too fast for them to see unless they are really zoned in on it like they appear to be with the Chargers.

TG
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• foreigner
          Tom Telesco is gone
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

Instead of complaining about the Zebras (That's a batte we wont win) we need to execute better, we're on our way, hopefully we continue that way.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
            Fluent in Sarcasm
            • Jun 2013
            • Iowa
            • Man of the People
            • Send PM

The one against Allen at the end of the first half was rough for me, his feet were set he was just waving his arms trying to get Herbert’s attention it looked like. Never seen it called for a WR moving their arms before. Staley did address those penalties in the post game presser though and I expect improvement. He took full accountability and said he needs to coach better to make sure it doesn’t keep happening.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

As JH10 gets more experience, he’ll check with his players and make sure everyone is set.
              New system, new verbiage, tons more motion, it’s all new and will become more efficient as the game reps happen.
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

The penalties have obviously hurt, but we did catch the off guard and confused on multiple occasions so they are working. Just gotta clean it up a tiny bit.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Some of that pre-snap stuff should get better as everyone gets more fimilar with the offense. We have new schemes and Staley is throwing a lot of information at everyone. Both the O and D had moments where guys had to do a lot of communicating to figure out what was going on. The illegal motion calls were part of that.

Staley should be able to get the refs to call that bit more fair. Just file a complaint with the league and then talk to the refs next week, prior to kickoff. Then don't be afraid to point out when the refs make mistakes to the league. You can't argue the calls during the game, that is a losing proposition.

You don't even really want it to happen. If Ref's feel like they may have completely screwed a call, they won't back down on the bad call they made, unless there is an obvious out and someone catches it right away, like if one guy who called it is willing to back down to another guy with a better angle. But if they don't back down, and they know they are wrong, they will frequently (maybe unconsciously) start to try and compensate for the bad call. Then they get stuck in a loop of bad call after bad call to "make things even". That kind of Yellow Diarrhea never ends well.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Some of that pre-snap stuff should get better as everyone gets more fimilar with the offense. We have new schemes and Staley is throwing a lot of information at everyone. Both the O and D had moments where guys had to do a lot of communicating to figure out what was going on. The illegal motion calls were part of that.

Staley should be able to get the refs to call that bit more fair. Just file a complaint with the league and then talk to the refs next week, prior to kickoff. Then don't be afraid to point out when the refs make mistakes to the league. You can't argue the calls during the game, that is a losing proposition.

You don't even really want it to happen. If Ref's feel like they may have completely screwed a call, they won't back down on the bad call they made, unless there is an obvious out and someone catches it right away, like if one guy who called it is willing to back down to another guy with a better angle. But if they don't back down, and they know they are wrong, they will frequently (maybe unconsciously) start to try and compensate for the bad call. Then they get stuck in a loop of bad call after bad call to "make things even". That kind of Yellow Diarrhea never ends well.
                    It will be so sweet when we cease shooting ourselves in the foot on offense. And yellow diarrhea doesn't begin well either!

Comment

• equivocation
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2021
                      • Send PM

Watch how the motion from Allen uncovers Ekeler for the easy TD. It's hard for D's to adjust on the fly consistently. The Chiefs have been doing this for years to get easy plays.

But this is the payoff for all the motion penalties, just have to clean it up.

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
                        The one against Allen at the end of the first half was rough for me, his feet were set he was just waving his arms trying to get Herbert’s attention it looked like. Never seen it called for a WR moving their arms before. Staley did address those penalties in the post game presser though and I expect improvement. He took full accountability and said he needs to coach better to make sure it doesn’t keep happening.
                        I think that was the 30 yarder called back? That was actually on Guyton off the top of my head. Forgot had back to back bad plays. I think he dropped a pass and then followed that up with a penalty. Not quite sure about when and where though.

Comment

Working...
                        X