• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JustAnotherFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2020
    • Send PM

Charger Scoring Defense

The Charger scoring defense has been incredible.
    The 4 teams the Chargers have played have all had their lowest point total of the season vs the Chargers!

Washington 16 vs Chargers, 30, 21, 34 vs others
    Dallas 20 vs Chargers, 29, 41, 36 vs others
    Kansas City 24 vs Chargers, 33, 35, 42 vs others
    Las Vegas 14 vs Chargers, 33, 26, 31 vs others

This is an INSANE accomplishment.

• RTPbolt
    Charger Fan till the end
    • Jun 2013
    • North Carolina
    • Send PM

Thats really interesting data. I think if you used THAT info to weight the defensive rankings on a regular basis plus the records of those opponents we would find our D ihas got to be top 5. We clean up 1/2 the D penalties in the Dallas game and i dont doubt we would have won that game.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
      French Speaking Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Québec city
      • Send PM

Keeping KC under 30, it's already an accomplishment !

Comment

• Charge!
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by JustAnotherFan View Post
        The 4 teams the Chargers have played have all had their lowest point total of the season vs the Chargers!

Staley is a wizard..... he is doing things that may not make sense but it is working...... I cant tell you why it works, but it obviously is working better then any scheme we have had before......

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

It takes an insane level of detail and precision from players to make a bend but don't break D work in the NFL. Staley and his staff are doing a great job of taking our players, who were not very focused on detailed, situational football, and making them develop that level of detail.

Every week, the level of teamwork is improving. They block one of our guys, the player next to him squeezes down and fills the hole... the secondary was just flying around. Some of that is because they are fast, some of it was because they are quick, but those are the same guys who were quick and fast under Gus, now they are playing smart, knowing what the other team is trying to do. Staley and the staff are doing a great job of getting guys ready to play, and then the players are doing a great job of just going out and making the plays.

Los Angeles Chargers safety Derwin James blankets Las Vegas Raiders tight end Darren Waller for clutch INT (nfl.com)

James Int of Carr is a great example. James is waiting and waiting and waiting for Carr to throw him the ball. There is no doubt that he KNEW that was what was being thrown, and he was in the ideal coverage and he knows he can make the play, so he is just waiting for it to happen. So, a great call, but a great player just stepping up to make the play the way it needs to be made.

That is how it is supposed to work, and Staley (and the rest of the staff) has figured out the million little bits that go into making it all happen.

Comment

• FoutsFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Birmingham AL
            • Send PM

Originally posted by JustAnotherFan View Post

In the end you can talk about all the stats, rush D pass D sacks and so on, the only one that matters is how many points did you give up.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
              Thats really interesting data. I think if you used THAT info to weight the defensive rankings on a regular basis plus the records of those opponents we would find our D ihas got to be top 5. We clean up 1/2 the D penalties in the Dallas game and i dont doubt we would have won that game.
              I have a spreadsheet that does this however it also incorporates the average points by the opponent's defenses they faced. I can isolate those variables versus the other aspects of my algorithm that I use for part of my betting algorithm.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍