• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Ty Long

Thankfully, the Chargers don’t have to punt much so far this season. But Long has the longest (pun intended) and slowest wind up I have seen from a punter in a long time. I cringe every time he punts and other teams have hit him or gotten way close too many times. His motion is just too slow and it is not the blocking its him. Anyone else seeing that? I think this is going to get us before the season is over.

And while I am on it, HIll is just who we thought he was. He catches the ball cleanly, makes very conservative FC decisions and is good for maybe 3 yards on a return.

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.
  • Parcells
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Yeah…we definitely are letting teams get way too close to blocking a punt. I was thinking it was our blocking, but it might just be Long. And it’s not like he’s crushing the ball. Honestly, this is a spot that they should consider upgrading in the off-season.I miss Mike Scifres.

As to Hill, he doesn’t bring a lot to the table. Big returns are nice, but I’ll settle for a guy who can avoid turnovers and know when to catch it vs let it go into the end zone when fielding punts deep in our own territory.

Comment

• Jagged
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Omaha, Nebraska
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
      And while I am on it, HIll is just who we thought he was. He catches the ball cleanly, makes very conservative FC decisions and is good for maybe 3 yards on a return.
      I could be wrong, but watching him against the Raiders, he looks like he's afraid of contact.

Comment

• The Intellectual Assassin
        Serenity now!
        • Sep 2021
        • North Carolina
        • Teacher
        • Send PM

What's Dennis Partee doing nowadays?

Comment

• CivilBolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Jagged View Post

I could be wrong, but watching him against the Raiders, he looks like he's afraid of contact.
          That’s the Travis Benjamin in him.

Comment

• Jagged
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Omaha, Nebraska
            • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

That’s the Travis Benjamin in him.
            If only he were that productive…

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              Brock Bowers N.M.W.
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Pipefitter Illinois State University
              • Send PM

His arm is garbage...that floater he threw to Campbell? Way too much air under that ball...cost us the fake! Cut him...

:chuckle:
              The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

Thankfully, the Chargers don’t have to punt much so far this season. But Long has the longest (pun intended) and slowest wind up I have seen from a punter in a long time. I cringe every time he punts and other teams have hit him or gotten way close too many times. His motion is just too slow and it is not the blocking its him. Anyone else seeing that? I think this is going to get us before the season is over.

TG
                Yeah, I have noticed at how close defenders have been to blocking Long's punts. I haven't paid attention to his kick time though. I am just happy we have a punter who can kick it a long way. He's not going to make us forget about Bennett or Scifres, but he does have a decent leg, it seems. He's had one shank I think.

Yeah, they are prioritizing securing the ball on punts over potential long returns. Hill has good hands and they trust him not to fumble and to make good decisions apparently (though he did fumble one punt last season). But he's not going to give you any exciting returns. Just like he's going to be a decent possession guy as a WR, but don't expect amazing YAC.

We don't have that exciting returner who can find an opening and take off. Maybe next season they draft that player. I don't know what happened to Joe Reed. He seems well-suited to return punts and kickoffs. And while were at it, I'm not thrilled with Rountree returning kickoffs. Adderley was really good at it, but I guess they decided he should focus all his time on learning to be a good safety.

Comment

• foreigner
                  Tom Telesco is gone
                  • Sep 2013
                  • Send PM

Special teams in general need a lot of improvement... just before a kick off I saw a player running towards the wrong side on the formation and then running to the correct side.

Comment

• foreigner
                    Tom Telesco is gone
                    • Sep 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by The Intellectual Assassin View Post
                    What's Dennis Partee doing nowadays?
                    Tamarick Vanover has legal problems.... this before you ask.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I was thinking of Mike Fuller. He was a great punt returner.

I don't remember Partee being a great punter, but reading his name is a blast from the past. Ray Guy remains the best punter I have ever seen. For the younger crowd, his stats may look weak compared to today's turbo charged legs, but he was just a phenomenal weapon and more than a punter. He was a great football player. I know he is a Raider and all. But he was the best. I think he is the only punter in the HOF?

TG
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
                        San Diego Native
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Farmington, NM
                        • Send PM

Ray Guy remains the best punter I have ever seen. For the younger crowd, his stats may look weak compared to today's turbo charged legs, but he was just a phenomenal weapon and more than a punter. He was a great football player. I know he is a Raider and all. But he was the best. I think he is the only punter in the HOF?

TG
                        To my knowledge, Ray Guy is also the only punter ever drafted in the 1st round.

Comment

Working...
                        X