Film Study: The Good, The Bad and The Great (week4 vs LVR)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Film Study: The Good, The Bad and The Great (week4 vs LVR)

Welcome back diehards, we got some more beautiful film from SOFI stadium with its glorious wide angle shots. There was many plays to sift through this week and some hard decisions to choose. Hopefully you enjoy the selection

The Good
    1st Quarter 4:36 clock. Ball on 22yrd line. Great play design here. Tranquill blitz, Derwin in the box takes the RG attention forcing the RB to pickup Tranquill afterwards Derwin drops out to cover Renfrow across the middle, leaving Bosa 1on1 with the Tackle which he beats swiftly and gets the sack fumble on 3rd down forcing the punt.

The Bad
    2nd Quarter 1:37 clock. Ball on 47yrd line. This is a clear miscommunication between Slater and Fieler. Slater was looking inside the whole time. I feel like Fieler needed to push him to slide out and cover the edge. Its a small mistake and didnt really affect the drive but i still dont like seeing Herbert get hit especially from his blindside. Rookie mistakes can be fixed.

The Great
    4th Quarter 5:31 clock. Ball on 11yrd line. The big TD run in the redzone to seal the game. Slater isolates the edge, Fieler doubles the DT then slides to pickup the LB. Parham seals the backside and Ekeler breaks the tackles for the dominating run. I do love me some run game

Honorable Mentions

Hon1
    Play action run? Pass action? i dont know what this is called but i love me some run game. Notice how the LB's all pause, this allows Parham + Anderson to get up on them and block. Ekeler is awesome

Hon2
    Superb individual effort from Fackrell. He reads the pass and shows some great athleticism to bat it down. Notice how the WR had separation and the LT was homing in on blocking Davis which would have resulted in a big gain.

As always love ya
    -Chillies
  • equivocation
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2021
    • Send PM

You did a much better job explaining the line manipulation than Brian Griese did.

Comment

• cmplxgal
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • New Jersey
      • Send PM

Great work. Thank you! If you happen to have any more time, there were a number of other times that pass rushers came in free on Herbert. I'd be curious to know what seems to have happened.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
        Outback Goon
        • Sep 2018
        • Australia
        • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
        Great work. Thank you! If you happen to have any more time, there were a number of other times that pass rushers came in free on Herbert. I'd be curious to know what seems to have happened.
        can do

Comment

• CivilBolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2019
          • Send PM

Amazing how JH was able to complete that pass to a receiver with a free rusher. Carr would have turtled up.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
            Outback Goon
            • Sep 2018
            • Australia
            • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
            I got you

I found 9 plays where Herbert was pressured. Some plays he still made the pass others it was incomplete.

Roundtree missed the block. Skill matchup

Fieler passes the DT off to Slater who was picking up the edge. Communication issue

Slater and Fieler both get beat. Skill matchup

Norton got beat around the edge. Skill matchup

Slater and Fieler both block inside setting the edge lose. Communication issue

LVR overload pressure off the edge. Norton gets beat inside. Skill and communication issue

Fieler gets beat. Skill matchup

Fieler doesnt really get beat, just loses contain. Skill matchup

LVR edge given a free rush to Herbert. Communication issue

Notes:

5+6+7 all consecutive plays that ended the drive
            8+9 back to back plays

I put what i thought was the reason for each pressure, anyone feel free to correct and argue

-Chillies

Comment

• cmplxgal
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • New Jersey
              • Send PM

Wow, you are amazing, thank you!

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
                Welcome back diehards, we got some more beautiful film from SOFI stadium with its glorious wide angle shots. There was many plays to sift through this week and some hard decisions to choose. Hopefully you enjoy the selection

The Good
                1st Quarter 4:36 clock. Ball on 22yrd line. Great play design here. Tranquill blitz, Derwin in the box takes the RG attention forcing the RB to pickup Tranquill afterwards Derwin drops out to cover Renfrow across the middle, leaving Bosa 1on1 with the Tackle which he beats swiftly and gets the sack fumble on 3rd down forcing the punt.
                So this is a dog, not a blitz. Tranquill is not delaying his rush, just straight rush off the snap, with the idea that he is going to occupy a blocker to isolate the RT vs Bosa. It also helps that Tillery starts going to the right (offensive) side, then twists back to the left (offensive) side, keeping the attention of the C and RG, and they are still looking for someone to come around behind. Meanwhile Tranquill is isolated vs the RB, and driving him into the QB, and that gives him no chance to step up and away from Bosa.

The Derwin drawing attention is important because we got the double coverage on Renfrow, trapping the hot option so that Carr has to hold the ball. There is no chance that they can get the ball to Renfrow, because of the double coverage, plus the fact that Derwin still has the attention of RG in pass protection. Carr had time to throw the ball to Renfrow, but it would have been picked off, and everyone knew it.

The Bad
                2nd Quarter 1:37 clock. Ball on 47yrd line. This is a clear miscommunication between Slater and Fieler. Slater was looking inside the whole time. I feel like Fieler needed to push him to slide out and cover the edge. Its a small mistake and didnt really affect the drive but i still dont like seeing Herbert get hit especially from his blindside. Rookie mistakes can be fixed.
                This sack is 100% on Herbert. The OL did a good job of picking up the stunt inside.

The DL aligns with the 3 tech over the LG and NT over the C, and the DE is over Slater. Then the MLB stunts across the C nose, so everyone trades off to get the inside defenders. C picks up the stunting Mike, LG gets the NT, Slater gets the 3 tech. The DE is allowed to come, because he has to run around Slater giving Herbert enough time for a hot read. However, it is a sack becauseHerbert has his attention to the offensive right side, so he misses the activity on his blindside and holds the ball for the sack.

Ekeler and Cook release to the flats, but Cook is not going that fast, but Ekeler was getting into his route pretty quick you can tell from his body language he saw/knew it was blitz. Ekeler was preparing to be the hot option. Herbert didn't look for him at all, and was looking downfield. But the route wasn't there so he threw it to Cook in the outside flat on the sideline. I think Herbert was thinking this was a play to take a shot downfield, only he didn't get the chance.

Even if Ekeler had stayed in to block, which is really not what it looks like is going on, it is still a huge mismatch in favor of the D. Ekeler is not going to be able to hold up vs a DE in man on man protection. At best he might be able to slow him down, but the backside D still has a guy waiting for him in coverage. Better to go Hot and have the chance of hitting Ekeler in the flat while he is exploding into his route, rather than rob him of his momentum by chipping or blocking and then asking him to release.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

I got you

I found 9 plays where Herbert was pressured. Some plays he still made the pass others it was incomplete.

Roundtree missed the block. Skill matchup

Fieler passes the DT off to Slater who was picking up the edge. Communication issue

Slater and Fieler both get beat. Skill matchup

Norton got beat around the edge. Skill matchup

Slater and Fieler both block inside setting the edge lose. Communication issue

LVR overload pressure off the edge. Norton gets beat inside. Skill and communication issue

Fieler gets beat. Skill matchup

Fieler doesnt really get beat, just loses contain. Skill matchup

LVR edge given a free rush to Herbert. Communication issue

Notes:

5+6+7 all consecutive plays that ended the drive
                  8+9 back to back plays

I put what i thought was the reason for each pressure, anyone feel free to correct and argue

-Chillies
                  Awesome work as usual!

#5 - Looks to me as a designed run action scheme meant to influence the EDGE inside to get JH10 around on the boot.
                  Last edited by like54ninjas; 10-09-2021, 09:37 AM.
                  My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                    Outback Goon
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Australia
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    So this is a dog, not a blitz. Tranquill is not delaying his rush, just straight rush off the snap, with the idea that he is going to occupy a blocker to isolate the RT vs Bosa. It also helps that Tillery starts going to the right (offensive) side, then twists back to the left (offensive) side, keeping the attention of the C and RG, and they are still looking for someone to come around behind. Meanwhile Tranquill is isolated vs the RB, and driving him into the QB, and that gives him no chance to step up and away from Bosa.

The Derwin drawing attention is important because we got the double coverage on Renfrow, trapping the hot option so that Carr has to hold the ball. There is no chance that they can get the ball to Renfrow, because of the double coverage, plus the fact that Derwin still has the attention of RG in pass protection. Carr had time to throw the ball to Renfrow, but it would have been picked off, and everyone knew it.

This sack is 100% on Herbert. The OL did a good job of picking up the stunt inside.

The DL aligns with the 3 tech over the LG and NT over the C, and the DE is over Slater. Then the MLB stunts across the C nose, so everyone trades off to get the inside defenders. C picks up the stunting Mike, LG gets the NT, Slater gets the 3 tech. The DE is allowed to come, because he has to run around Slater giving Herbert enough time for a hot read. However, it is a sack becauseHerbert has his attention to the offensive right side, so he misses the activity on his blindside and holds the ball for the sack.

Ekeler and Cook release to the flats, but Cook is not going that fast, but Ekeler was getting into his route pretty quick you can tell from his body language he saw/knew it was blitz. Ekeler was preparing to be the hot option. Herbert didn't look for him at all, and was looking downfield. But the route wasn't there so he threw it to Cook in the outside flat on the sideline. I think Herbert was thinking this was a play to take a shot downfield, only he didn't get the chance.

Even if Ekeler had stayed in to block, which is really not what it looks like is going on, it is still a huge mismatch in favor of the D. Ekeler is not going to be able to hold up vs a DE in man on man protection. At best he might be able to slow him down, but the backside D still has a guy waiting for him in coverage. Better to go Hot and have the chance of hitting Ekeler in the flat while he is exploding into his route, rather than rob him of his momentum by chipping or blocking and then asking him to release.
                    love your knowledge
                    thanks for sharing

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Honorable Mentions

Hon2
                      Superb individual effort from Fackrell. He reads the pass and shows some great athleticism to bat it down. Notice how the WR had separation and the LT was homing in on blocking Davis which would have resulted in a big gain.

As always love ya
                      -Chillies
                      I don’t think the LT had a shot at blocking Davis, he was late and not in position. In fact it looked like Davis already beat that block when Fackrell batted it down. But Davis still could have missed the tackle, that happens. Nice job by Fackrell!
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Once again - good stuff, thanks for sharing.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                        X