• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

POLL: Should NFL Refs be Rated???

With a hat tip to Ghost for posting this idea on another thread, and after that awful no-call for holding on Bosa by Leatherwood, how about RATING our REFS? In order for the NFL to restore integrity to the game, I agree that we need some kind of a rating system, whereby referees are graded by a review panel of ex-refs, coaches and players after every game. They review as many calls as possible and issue ratings based on the replay of the game. If a certain ref FAILS to call a penalty that should have been called, OR if he calls a penalty that should NOT have been called, he gets points deducted from his rating. If his rating falls below a certain threshold, he is put on PROBATION. If he fails to improve his score to a certain level after a determined number of games, he is FIRED. Furthermore, how about the NFL posting the weekly ratings on NFL.com? How about some REAL transparency, NFL? How about actually DOING something about all these awful ref calls? What say all of you out there???
    Yes!
    100.00%
    No
    0%
    Maybe--see my answer
    0%
  • FoutsFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Birmingham AL
    • Send PM

And the grades should be posted with a number hovering over them on TV.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post
      And the grades should be posted with a number hovering over them on TV.
      LOL!!! LOVE that idea! Imagine, every time a ref makes a call, his name and rating appear on a subtitle as he announces the penalty! Kind of like THIS:

hochuli 3.jpg

Comment

• FoutsFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Birmingham AL
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

LOL!!! LOVE that idea! Imagine, every time a ref makes a call, his name and rating appear on a subtitle as he announces the penalty! Kind of like THIS:

hochuli 3.jpg
        Exactly but you WAY overrated him. I would put him in the .75/10 rating.

Comment

• Parcells
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Ratings shouldn’t be made public. The goal should be to make these guys better. Also, properly pay the guys so that they can dedicate themselves to the job.

Comment

• kgbpasha
            #болтап
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
            Ratings shouldn’t be made public. The goal should be to make these guys better.
            Also, properly pay the guys so that they can dedicate themselves to the job.
            An average NFL referee earned $205,000 in 2019.

Here's a good read about how they are reviewed by the NFL:

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

My understanding is that all officials are already graded and reviewed, both by peers, former officials in the NFL office and Coaches (and not players.). Those grades are used for assignments to games and retention. What I'm guessing your proposal is if the ratings/grades should be made public, which probably wouldn't work out for a number of reasons, mostly with finding officials that would work under those conditions. Even if you find these people can be found, and paid properly, you probably would get officials that will still mess up occasionally, and probably nothing will happen until they get reviewed at the end of the season. You have 7 officials on the field already, but they are going to miss things, and even if they have an 'eye-in-the-sky', that can call penalties in-play, there will be things missed, and you will slow the game down..

Comment

• kgbpasha
                #болтап
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Here you go Monday Morning Refs:

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
                  Ratings shouldn’t be made public. The goal should be to make these guys better. Also, properly pay the guys so that they can dedicate themselves to the job.
                  I agree with more pay
                  I agree not made public
                  But they are just so inconsistent

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by kgbpasha View Post

An average NFL referee earned $205,000 in 2019.

Here's a good read about how they are reviewed by the NFL:

Here's a laughable little gem from that article:

"Only 40 percent of on-field calls have been overturned since 1999."

ONLY 40 percent? Imagine if a wideout ONLY dropped 40 percent of his targets? Wow, not exactly a ringing endorsement of the system as it's currently run...

Comment

• JupiterBolt
                      ~ Charger Fan ~
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Jupiter, FL
                      • Send PM

I’m surprised an independent company like PFF hasn’t done it on their own.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                        My understanding is that all officials are already graded and reviewed, both by peers, former officials in the NFL office and Coaches (and not players.). Those grades are used for assignments to games and retention. What I'm guessing your proposal is if the ratings/grades should be made public, which probably wouldn't work out for a number of reasons, mostly with finding officials that would work under those conditions. Even if you find these people can be found, and paid properly, you probably would get officials that will still mess up occasionally, and probably nothing will happen until they get reviewed at the end of the season. You have 7 officials on the field already, but they are going to miss things, and even if they have an 'eye-in-the-sky', that can call penalties in-play, there will be things missed, and you will slow the game down..
                        How about if we at LEAST allow coaches to challenge ANY call or non-call? Remember, coaches can only challenge certain calls. I would have LOVED to have seen Staley throw a challenge flag on that Leatherwood/Bosa holding non-call...

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍