Chargers give up 532 yards of offense, create NO turnovers, and still win the game.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AK47
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
    Never easy laying it all on the line against the Raiders and then expecting to dominate the Browns on a short week. I think the guys on D were a little gassed. But its no mystery we are really bad against the run. We are not far off from having a great defense. That miss by Adderley was atrocious. Between that and the Ekeler fumble that led to 3...thats 10 points that shouldn't have happened imo.

Could have easily held them to 32 points. Who knows. I just think the D is better than this.

Grateful we had these last 2 games at home.
    We came out with relative low injuries (knock on woodai).

The Browns have to play the Cardinals with injuries all over their defense. Their fans are afraid of going 3-3.

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

We came out with relative low injuries (knock on woodai).

The Browns have to play the Cardinals with injuries all over their defense. Their fans are afraid of going 3-3.
      The short week thing is very real. It’s nice we have a bye in week seven. And then in week 15 we have a Thursday night game. Gives us a nice late season break before we finish out the last three games. Kind of like a 2nd bye with the added days off after a Thursday game.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

The Giants game before the Chiefs game on TNF will definitely be a trap game.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
          Never easy laying it all on the line against the Raiders and then expecting to dominate the Browns on a short week. I think the guys on D were a little gassed. But its no mystery we are really bad against the run. We are not far off from having a great defense. That miss by Adderley was atrocious. Between that and the Ekeler fumble that led to 3...thats 10 points that shouldn't have happened imo.

Could have easily held them to 32 points. Who knows. I just think the D is better than this.

Grateful we had these last 2 games at home.
          I don't know if I would called them "gassed", but certainly a little low on the mental energy department. I saw a lot of guys diving for tackles and such. I was a little worried about the short week thing, and this looked like a short week performance. THe blown coverage on the 1st TD was in the same sort of thing. There were some mental mistakes in coverage and run support that fell into the same thing.

I actually think the run D is getting better, even though the stats sheet doesn't show it. I said in another post, I thought about half of our run plays (D) were OK to good, and then the other half were just miserable, with most of the yards being on the miserable ones.

We will never be one of these teams that everyone is afraid to run against, but I think we can be a lot better. I think we are getting there, it just hasn't shown yet.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post
            We just don't have the studs in the middle of the D to stop the run this year.
            How soon before other teams routinely go for it on 4th against us because of Herbert?
            I'm not sure how many other teams can pull off going for it on 4th downs.

It sounds like our analytics department is doing a little more leg work on 3rd and 4th down personnel and tendencies. And I think Lombardi and Staley are spending a lot more time with that data and making a bigger emphasis with regards to putting the game plan together. Something like they have a call sheet on O and D with a lot of extra 4th down situations laid out ahead of time.

But mostly, Herbert is the kind of guy that makes our 4th down O go, especially with a RB like Ekeler. I just don't see either of them making a lot of mistakes right now, and if they do make a bad play, neither one is very likely to follow it up with another bad play, so if we don't convert on 3rd down, it pretty much means that a big play is ready to happen on 4th. I think a lot of regular QB, sure, if they are hot, but if I had Fitzmagic as my QB, unless he is really hot some game, I am not sure he is the kind of guy who I would put in a lot of those 4th down plays, unless I felt my D could bail me out.

Comment

• Boltx
              Dominate the day
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Maybe there's just no such thing as a good defense anymore? At least not for an entire stretch of the season.
              ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                Pretty much retired......
                • Sep 2018
                • JoJa
                • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                • Send PM

We have had so many years as fans where we simply lose games like this. What's the difference? Staley and his balls of steel. We have always decried our leadership/head coaches. This guy is one gutsy mutha hummer...........

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

I was watching something about the Bears '85 D (maybe it was about Buddy Ryan) and people forget, even though they are considered one of the best/most dominant D in all of football, they gave up 28 points vs TB in the opener and looked almost lost, then 24 pts vs Minn in week 3 and 38 points in Miami on Monday night.

Last year the Rams, #1 D overall, gave up 35 pts vs the Bills in week 3, 28 vs Miami and Arizona, 24 vs TB.

The point being, even good defenses have bad weeks some times. And the Browns had a pretty good D too.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍