Did you agree with Ekeler not trying to score?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charge!
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
    The play where he slid in bounds was to force the Browns to call the time out, and was enough for the first down. Ekeler was not happy being carried for a TD, so he was probably on instructions to take his time to kill time. I've seen a few plays in college ball where the other team was allowed to score, but I've never seen another team carry the ball carrier to score a winning TD.

Again, a chip shot FG from the 2 is a gimmie, maybe a 97% make. The right play was for Herbert to kneel it to kill more time.
    Agree.... and Staley admitted he was trying to run out the entire clock.... and kick the FG......

Comment

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Agree.... and Staley admitted he was trying to run out the entire clock.... and kick the FG......
      “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Watch Ekelers legs when they carried him into the end zone. He was trying hard to stop them but there were too many defenders.

Comment

Originally posted by Quite_Frankly View Post

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
          We have never run the clock down to about 12 seconds this season and then kicked a game winning FG from the old extra point spot in any game this season. Old extra points were almost automatic. The odds of an NFL kicker converting one of those was about 98+% in every season from 2000 until the rule changed. The odds of the Browns scoring a TD when they had the ball with over 1:30 to go were probably at least ten times as great as they would have been had they simply allowed the extra point range FG. That is why the Browns did everything in their power to force Ekeler to score.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

I said it during the game.
            Id have taken a knee on the play he got pulled in the EZ. Then score the next play. You just ran off nearly 40 seconds by taking a knee and it's under 50 seconds or better after another play instead of 1:31.
            Even IF Viz kicks it, it's like a old time XP range but they would of let us score the next play and I'd rather have the TD anyways but burn some clock in the process
            11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
            35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
            37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
            66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
            69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
            105 Brenden Rice WR - USC
            110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
            140 Hunter Nourzad OC - Penn st
            181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
            225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st /253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

I have to admit, I was nervous about putting our fate in the hands of Vizzie. I know it was just a chip-shot... but he was missing wide by a wide-margin... twice. I saw Ty Long giving him a pep talk on the sideline as they marched down for the last score.

The Browns were running the ball at will today. But with no timeouts and only 1:30 left... I felt pretty confident the Browns' passing game was not going to score a TD.

In the end, it all worked out.

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Quite_Frankly View Post
                Actually I have not heard from Staley if not scoring was the plan. That was just assumed by the announcers and everyone else. If the plan was to run out the clock, and kick a field goal, then I think lousy plan given the PAT misses. With a normal FG kicker, I can see it. Someone posted that the FG was a "chip shot"....your killing me...just like the two PAT's?
                Rewatch his presser. He talks about it in fact he mentioned he needs to review the rule because he didn't think that the opposing team can actually carry you into the end zone.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

extra points are kicked from the 15, so they are a 33 yard FG, kicking from the 3 is an 20 yard FG.

according to another post the % (numerically) are 99.51% for 202 attempts. (1 miss) for the period 2009-2019
                  Kicker Accuracy Accounting for Distance : nfl (reddit.com) (I haven't checked the numbers myself)

From the distance they were at, it is virtually automatic, unlike extra points which are about 94%

Again a 2 point conversion percentage is 48%-ish, so 2 or 3 shots gives a pretty good shot at scoring the TD, although neither (kick or scoring a TD) is a certainty.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                    Charger Fan till the end
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Carolina
                    • Send PM

We had the same issue scoring too quickly in the KC game with the td to Williams. Giving the opposing offense less time or no time is the smart thing to do. It was first down. You sit 1 play out at the 1 or 2 to run off 45 seconds and with no timeouts it would have drastically changed the time for the Browns to run the length of the field.

I would have liked a plan to get to the 1 and sit. Austin could have dropped to a knee initially after moving forward but got into the pile with the guy behind him. Lesson learned on situational play. Never seen that before but it was smart by the Browns.

i agree a chip shot even for Viz was a high probability from that distance but id probably have tried to run it in after 1 more play. Losing 45 secs would have made a big difference.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                      Fluent in Sarcasm
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Iowa
                      • Man of the People
                      • Send PM

Personally I was more surprised by the Browns offensive strategy after they got the ball back than with what we did with Ek at the end. 1:20ish with no timeouts and they just contentedly played in the middle of the field for short yardage. They pushed Ek into the end zone for that?

Comment

• attila
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2014
                        • Send PM

Great play by Ekeler to slide down. Bad play to not kneel down after that. TD knocked their win probability from 98 to 93% and missed 2 pt dropped it to 88.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Ekeler absolutely did it on purpose and it was absolutely the smart play and right thing to do.

TG
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X