Did you agree with Ekeler not trying to score?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you agree with Ekeler not trying to score?

On that play when he slid in-bounds, the announcers said he was trying not to score on purpose....I think he just did not see the opening. What would be the point of running out the clock and not scoring...so Vizcaino could try and redeem himself? That would be crazy.

And then on the next play I think, supposedly him trying not to score again and being pulled into the end zone.

I don't know...its like you are saying that you can take your time to score, and win for sure.

I think you gotta take the TD when you can and go from there. My main point would be here, NO WAY am I going to let our kicker try and win it.

One of these games, all the Chargers risk taking is going to bite them in the butt.

They got lucky on the 4th down call that resulted in a PI penalty. Very lucky.
  • Xenos
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

I agree with the move even if it didn’t work out. Generally you do that so there’s no time left for the other team.

Comment

• Tol
      From Accounting
      • Mar 2019
      • Carlsbad
      • Send PM

Part of me feels you always take a Touchdown if you can, because you don't know what can happen on the next play.

A penalty can back you up, then maybe the unthinkable happens and there's a turnover. Generally speaking, not specific to the Ekeler TD.

Twice now the Chargers have had a lesson on the importance of kneeling to run out the clock before giving it back to the other team.

Comment

• AK47
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2019
        • Send PM

I agree with the play call. Remember guys both teams were scoring at will. The probability we score a TD at that point was very high. Their defense was gassed.

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

The play where he slid in bounds was to force the Browns to call the time out, and was enough for the first down. Ekeler was not happy being carried for a TD, so he was probably on instructions to take his time to kill time. I've seen a few plays in college ball where the other team was allowed to score, but I've never seen another team carry the ball carrier to score a winning TD.

Again, a chip shot FG from the 2 is a gimmie, maybe a 97% make. The right play was for Herbert to kneel it to kill more time.

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Both times, yes.

Comment

• Craig440
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2019
              • Send PM

I don't like the idea of wasting time to attempt a FG with the last play. It almost pisses me off that they are discussing this. Make the TD for gosh sakes. If we would have made the two point conversion they would have had to go in for a TD to tie. They had no time outs and only a minute and a little left. The same thing with the Chiefs game. I guarantee you if we did that this week and the Chiefs week we would have missed one and lost one of the games. I'm happy we did what we did and I hope we take the TD in the future instead of pussy footing around.

Keep in mind our kicker has missed five extra points. I don't trust him as much as I trust Herbert and Ekeler.

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Yes.
                Staley went for it on 4th downs over and over as a strategy to try and get the win. And he decided to call 'no mas' at the end.
                Staley was confident, not playing scared something would go wrong. Both on his 4th downs and the no mas to kill time.
                I kinda wish Ekeler did kneel so the kicker who missed the XP could kick the game winner and get some redemption. 100% chance he makes it. Viz with the game winner was how this movie was supposed to end, but the Browns dragged Ekeler into the end zone.
                Who has it better than us?

Comment

Actually I have not heard from Staley if not scoring was the plan. That was just assumed by the announcers and everyone else. If the plan was to run out the clock, and kick a field goal, then I think lousy plan given the PAT misses. With a normal FG kicker, I can see it. Someone posted that the FG was a "chip shot"....your killing me...just like the two PAT's?

Comment

• Craig440
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Quite_Frankly View Post
                    Actually I have not heard from Staley if not scoring was the plan. That was just assumed by the announcers and everyone else. If the plan was to run out the clock, and kick a field goal, then I think lousy plan given the PAT misses. With a normal FG kicker, I can see it.
                    I totally agree. We were behind. So much can go wrong. Get the score to take the lead. Please.

Comment

• Charge!
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

On that play when he slid in-bounds, the announcers said he was trying not to score on purpose....I think he just did not see the opening. What would be the point of running out the clock and not scoring...so Vizcaino could try and redeem himself? That would be crazy.

And then on the next play I think, supposedly him trying not to score again and being pulled into the end zone.

I don't know...its like you are saying that you can take your time to score, and win for sure.

I think you gotta take the TD when you can and go from there. My main point would be here, NO WAY am I going to let our kicker try and win it.

One of these games, all the Chargers risk taking is going to bite them in the butt.

disagree..... Ekler clearly was told by our smart coach to stay in bounds and keep clock running....... he easily could have scored but would have left Cleveland with way too much time.....

Coach also wanted Ekler to go down short of endzone so we could drain the clock, but cleveland pulled him into endzone.....

Had Ekler been able to go down at the one, we would have drained off most of the clock before letting Herbie sneak it into endzone to win game..... at worst our kicker would have had a FG equal to the old extra points, which are nearly impossible to miss.....

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

I like the odds of killing the clock and leaving it to 1 or 2 shots at scoring a TD from the 3 (where Ekeler slid). They probably should have just kneeled down twice (once in place of the play Ekeler scored, and 1 other) to get the clock down to :20 seconds or so. Then we have 3 TO and 2 plays left, with a 3rd in reserve. Or just do it once, and leave them under a minute and give us 3 chances. Either way, it suddenly forces Cleveland to not only throw the ball downfield but near the sidelines and I don't think Mayfields arm was that strong late in the game, with his injury.

You are correct, it might and probably will blow up on us some day. There is no denying it. Even the best strategy in the world can fail if the execution is not so good.

But again, like Staley points out, it is an odds thing. I like the odds of running the clock down some and then trying to score, even acknowledging that there could be a negative play, turnover or penalty. We had several plays and several TO. And still better than giving the ball back to Cleveland with 1:30.

It did work out well today, but I don't think we can always count on teams to dink and dunk to run the clock out on themselves.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍