Chargers At Ravens Pre Game Discussion (Wk 6)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
    To me he's always been a better deep passer than anything intermediate or short. Forcing him to throw it deep plays to his strength.
    I agree I think we have to play them exactly the way we played KC and Mahomes. Nothing deep and keep the focus more on keeping him in the pocket than a pure pass rush

Comment

• Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

to your point about the Colts --
      I don't think Reich should have gone for two when it was 22-3. If you kick the XP that makes it 23-3. I was thinking 8+8+3 19 and you are now at 20 - but thats mean

and though the Colts were running the ball, he did get VERY conservative inside the 20 with those last three play calls - including I think a direct snap to Taylor which allows the defense to focus on the run immediately. Wentz was having a good game - needed to take one shot to WIN the game and not lose it
      The play calling approach/strategy is such a huge difference for us this year. Staley gets it. You play to win and not "not to lose" when you have a chance to put the game away. Seeing Reich call plays was such a reminder of how we lost game after game last year by wasting downs on stupid running play calls. While the Colts did run the ball effectively at times, it was utterly clueless of them to keep running when the Ravens had heavily stacked the box.

In that situation, I am throwing on first down because that is where the defense will be crossed up, making a completion and either a first down or a short yardage second down more likely.

Reich has given away multiple games over the past couple of years just like Lynn did by not understanding that you keep the clock moving not by running the ball, but by getting first downs. And that is also generally how teams score points.

Just seeing Reich's play calling the day after seeing what Staley's aggressiveness did against Cleveland really drives home the point about how Staley is light years ahead of coaching clods like Lynn and Reich.

I also tend to agree with your take about not attempting a two-point conversion as the only thing gained by succeeding with it in that instance is that 3 TDs with regular extra points would only yield a tie instead of a win for Baltimore. I think it is better to negate the possibility of Baltimore drawing even with 2 TDs and a FG.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Because Jackson is not there when you try to hit him hard. It’s more like contain and wait for help. Jackson is MVP material again this season.
        In that case he's not running through a gap. After committing to a hole it's either forward or down.
        Catch him dodging someone else. That's where you go for a big hit.
        Open field? Wrap up & punch the ball.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

Greg Gumble and Adam Archuleta will be in the booth for CBS for Chargers vs. Ravens.

I've heard worse...

Gumble was at the mike during last season's Chargers/Saints game, and when Herbert hit an uncovered Mike Williams downfield, Gumble screamed "AND MIKE WILLIAMS PRANCES INTO THE END ZONE!!!"

I really thought Gumble could have done better. In fact, since SILENCE would have been better, I *know* he could have done it!

Honest to <deity of choice>, these announcers-- making in excess of seven figures, btw-- should have a vocabulary that doesn't include "dandy", "nifty", "prance" or "waltz", among other arcane words that are mis-applied to football.

It's as if they think their audience is 100% over 90 years old. "We can't use any adjectives that came after the Fred Astaire era, or else we'll lose viewership in the retirement home sector! We can't have *that*!!!"

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
            Greg Gumble and Adam Archuleta will be in the booth for CBS for Chargers vs. Ravens.

I've heard worse...

Gumble was at the mike during last season's Chargers/Saints game, and when Herbert hit an uncovered Mike Williams downfield, Gumble screamed "AND MIKE WILLIAMS PRANCES INTO THE END ZONE!!!"

I really thought Gumble could have done better. In fact, since SILENCE would have been better, I *know* he could have done it!

Honest to <deity of choice>, these announcers-- making in excess of seven figures, btw-- should have a vocabulary that doesn't include "dandy", "nifty", "prance" or "waltz", among other arcane words that are mis-applied to football.

It's as if they think their audience is 100% over 90 years old. "We can't use any adjectives that came after the Fred Astaire era, or else we'll lose viewership in the retirement home sector! We can't have *that*!!!"
            Last season's Saints game was Monday Night, so it couldn't have been Greg Gumble. I think you are thinking Steve Levy. I don't recall the call, as I have the homer radio on while watching TV.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

In that case he's not running through a gap. After committing to a hole it's either forward or down.
              Catch him dodging someone else. That's where you go for a big hit.
              Open field? Wrap up & punch the ball.
              It’s going to be one entertaining game.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I've heard worse...

Funny how we see things. I always think anyone of average intelligence should be able to express themselves without all the "four-letter" words that some prefer. Must be a generation thing.
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Athletic picks

Expert picks

Tashan Reed Chargers
                  Nick Kosmider Chargers
                  Jay Morrison Ravens
                  Mark Kaboly Chargers
                  Michael-Shawn Duger Chargers
                  Chris Burke Ravens
                  Ben Standig Chargers
                  Katherine Terrell Chargers
                  Ted Nguyen Chargers
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Pete Prisco, cbssports.com

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

cbs straight picks:

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Funny how we see things. I always think anyone of average intelligence should be able to express themselves without all the "four-letter" words that some prefer. Must be a generation thing.
                        Could be the audience they believe they are speaking to, may be the lingo of a group they wish to identify with. Etc, etc.
                        Talking to gen public, leave the "sauce" out. Most of us understand plain English.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Last season's Saints game was Monday Night, so it couldn't have been Greg Gumble. I think you are thinking Steve Levy. I don't recall the call, as I have the homer radio on while watching TV.
                          "...all alone it's Mike Williams! And he will prance into the end zone for the go-ahead touchdown!"

Williams did in fact prance into the end zone, turning around running into the end zone backwards while taunting the Saints defenders a bit. It's at 11:30 in the video.

Comment

Working...
                          X