Chargers At Ravens Pre Game Discussion (Wk 6)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Anyway, Gumble is a good announcer, better than his brother, Bryant. At least it isn't Spero.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
      Raven's fans souring on Patrick Queen.
      Ravens: Patrick Queen named biggest disappointment of the season so far

by Kristen Wong 3 days ago Follow @kriscwong

Where some Baltimore Ravens players have stepped up, others have shrunk from the intense scrutiny and struggled to live up to their potential.

Such is the case for Ravens linebacker Patrick Queen, who was highly touted to be a breakout player in 2021.

Brent Sobleski of Bleacher Report recently released a list of every NFL team’s biggest disappointment through Week 5 based on expectations entering the 2021 season.

For the Ravens, Queen made the list.
      “Patrick Queen displays tremendous range and playmaking ability. But he must break down and play better in space to realize his full potential. He regularly does his job properly. It’s when he whiffs that it becomes problematic for the entire unit.”

In Queen’s defense, the Ravens’ entire linebacker unit has been underperforming, so Queen isn’t exactly sticking out like a sore tooth.

But given how hopeful Baltimore was about finally having a more consistent linebacker to command the defense, Queen has been quite the disappointment.

He recorded a sack in Week 1 against the Raiders, but other than that, his highlight reel is filled with lapses in coverages and poor-decision making. Queen has already posted nine missed tackles in four games, and he doesn’t appear to be improving as the weeks go on.

The issues from last year are still all there. Can’t shed blocks. Poor man-to-man coverage. Inconsistent tackling.

While it may be too early to be truly concerned about Queen’s performance, there’s still reason to question his efficacy in the Ravens’ defensive scheme this season.

After putting together an up-and-down rookie year, Queen carried the precarious weight of others’ expectations for him in 2021, and of all Ravens’ defenders, his load was probably the heaviest.

His deficiencies in his second year at Baltimore won’t be solved in a single game, by a single coach, or in an instant. We can only watch and hope Queen learns how to play his position a little better game after game, making fewer mistakes as the season progresses.

Whether he needs a confidence boost or he needs more time in the film room, that’s up to the Ravens’ coaching staff to figure out.

At such an early stage in his career, Queen possesses the raw talent to become a better and smarter tackler with time and coaching.

The more important questions are one, if he’ll be good enough to lead Baltimore’s defense this season, and two, if he’ll improve in time.

The clock is ticking.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

And by the way, the Charger's most disappointing player is

Los Angeles Chargers: LB Kenneth Murray Jr.

18 of 32

John W. McDonough/Getty Images

The Los Angeles Chargers sank last year's 23rd overall draft pick into linebacker Kenneth Murray Jr. He wasn't meant to play in new head coach Brandon Staley's scheme, and the transition hasn't been automatic.

"Kenny Murray is going to be a good player, and we're just going to stick with it," Staley told reporters at the end of September.

The second-year defender rolled his ankle a few days later and found himself on injured reserve.

Going back to Staley's comments, the decision to stick with a player isn't necessarily a ringing endorsement. Obviously, the front office would like a recent first-round selection to work out, but it's not a given, especially when philosophical and schematic changes are made.

Drue Tranquill is arguably a better fit, and Murray may not come back to a starting position depending on how his replacement performs over the next couple of weeks.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Linebackers just aren't made to play the modern game of football.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
            Beef Before Gazelles
            • May 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

"...all alone it's Mike Williams! And he will prance into the end zone for the go-ahead touchdown!"

Williams did in fact prance into the end zone, turning around running into the end zone backwards while taunting the Saints defenders a bit. It's at 11:30 in the video.

Since when is "running backwards" the same thing as "prancing"? "Running backwards" is generally known as "running backwards". Gumble could have said "And he backpedals into the end zone!"

When Santa's reindeer "prance", are they flying across the sky backwards?

I don't think you picked the appropriate synonym here.

Comment

• CivilBolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Since when is "running backwards" the same thing as "prancing"? "Running backwards" is generally known as "running backwards". Gumble could have said "And he backpedals into the end zone!"

When Santa's reindeer "prance", are they flying across the sky backwards?

I don't think you picked the appropriate synonym here.
              You can’t run backwards because it is taunting. What you can do is turn around and do a backflip into the endzone like Tyreek Hill :coffee:

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                Anyway, Gumble is a good announcer, better than his brother, Bryant. At least it isn't Spero.
                Spero is with Feely and not a fan of Feely

I like Catalon and Lofton.

I am not a fan of Charles Davis - I preferred Fouts with Ian Eagle

Harlan and Trent Green are good

Gumbel and Archuleta are a pretty good team

When I think of Greg Gumbel - I think of how at one time, there had been like 5 hosts of the NFL pregame shows on broadcast TV: NFL Today on CBS (Musburger and Gumbel), the Fox show or the NBC Football pre game show (Gumbel and Costas) and two of them were the Gumbel brothers.

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

The play calling approach/strategy is such a huge difference for us this year. Staley gets it. You play to win and not "not to lose" when you have a chance to put the game away. Seeing Reich call plays was such a reminder of how we lost game after game last year by wasting downs on stupid running play calls. While the Colts did run the ball effectively at times, it was utterly clueless of them to keep running when the Ravens had heavily stacked the box.

In that situation, I am throwing on first down because that is where the defense will be crossed up, making a completion and either a first down or a short yardage second down more likely.

Reich has given away multiple games over the past couple of years just like Lynn did by not understanding that you keep the clock moving not by running the ball, but by getting first downs. And that is also generally how teams score points.

Just seeing Reich's play calling the day after seeing what Staley's aggressiveness did against Cleveland really drives home the point about how Staley is light years ahead of coaching clods like Lynn and Reich.

I also tend to agree with your take about not attempting a two-point conversion as the only thing gained by succeeding with it in that instance is that 3 TDs with regular extra points would only yield a tie instead of a win for Baltimore. I think it is better to negate the possibility of Baltimore drawing even with 2 TDs and a FG.
                  Not sure what happened this year but Reich is actually one of the more aggressive HCs in the NFL. He was doing the 4th down analytics thing before Staley did. Part of it was learning under Doug Pederson. He probably went for 2 because that’s what the numbers told him to.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                    Beef Before Gazelles
                    • May 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

You can’t run backwards because it is taunting. What you can do is turn around and do a backflip into the endzone like Tyreek Hill :coffee:
                    Maybe I can create a translation index:

(1) 'Nifty' - Bitchen, rad, sick

(2) 'Prance' - Skip

(3) 'no-no" -- a Bullshit move

You get the idea...

Comment

• Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                      Not sure what happened this year but Reich is actually one of the more aggressive HCs in the NFL. He was doing the 4th down analytics thing before Staley did. Part of it was learning under Doug Pederson. He probably went for 2 because that’s what the numbers told him to.
                      It is not so much the going for two that I thought was the issue, though I agreed with what the poster to whom I responded had to say about that. Last year with Rivers, Reich was very conservative on early downs and that caused a lot of problems for the Colts, especially earlier in the year when their running game was not really working at all.

Last night, Reich blew the game by going extremely conservative with three straight running plays when the Colts were moving the ball and in BAL's territory, assuming that Blankenship would make the FG attempt. His offense was working. There was no need to stop mixing passes with runs. He played not to lose instead of playing to win. That is exactly what Lynn did last year that cost us multiple games--at least four.

Look at what Staley did by contrast against WAS. He kept moving the ball and getting first downs so WAS would never have the chance to take the lead. He did not turtle and call three straight running plays until we were kneeling to run out the clock. Instead, Staley used Herbert to go get the win when it was within our reach. Reich failed to allow Wentz to go get the game when it was there to be won and the Colts lost because of it.

Having lived with it with Lynn all last year--the home game against KC, and the road games against TB, NO and DEN, all lost because Lynn got the "run-runs" at the exact wrong moment. If Lynn were our head coach, we would probably be 0-5 right now as we would have silver plattered the game for WAS by going conservative and would have not have taken the games against KC, LV and CLE with the aggressive 4th down play calling that Staley has featured.

Reich's approach on Monday was just like Lynn's and served to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Reich pulls Rivers on the goal line and sticks in his backup qb? They call that aggressive, I call it stupid. And it cost them the play and the game IMO.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • New Jersey
                          • Send PM

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀