Are You More Optimistic Than You Were at Any Point in the Philip Rivers Era?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CivilBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Flchargersfan View Post
    I loved Rivers but he could never handle the pressure which is why he doesn't have a ring. He was literally the anti-Brady, playing lights out until you needed him and then watch him underthrow every pass and curl up for sacks that never came, it was heart wrenching to watch game in and game out.
    Rivers would have got too excited seeing those wide open receivers yesterday and threw them short or over due to emotions. He did excel on timing routes.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Send PM

I'll tell you when I was the most optimistic as a Chargers fan...fucking 1979 season entering the playoffs vs. the Houston Oilers sans Pastorini, Campbell, and Burroughs. Yeah, that game. And we had them at home. Sky-high expectations unmet! Fouts threw FIVE INT's that day. That was freaky. I still can't get over that game.

Comment

• SK21209
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2020
        • San Diego
        • Send PM

Yeah 2006 was the height of my optimism. The Patriots had no receivers and weren't as good as previous years, we owned those soft Colts teams and there was no great team in the NFC.

Things are awesome right now, but we just gave up 200+ yards on the ground to another contender in the conference. The Bills look crazy good, the Chiefs are wounded but not dead, and there are a bunch of worthy teams in the NFC as well.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
          Fluent in Sarcasm
          • Jun 2013
          • Iowa
          • Man of the People
          • Send PM

As an individual team ‘06 definitely leads the way, but optimism for the franchise as a whole this is probably the highest it’s been for me personally. Staley is barely out of his first quarter season as a HC, Herbert has 20 career games under his belt. Just like in ‘06 our first 2 draft picks, an OLT and a CB, are immediate impact contributors but neither has the injury concerns of Cromartie and McNeill. We have most of our stars under contract for the next 3+ years. ‘06 felt like it was our year, but this feels like just the beginning of a big window for us and that makes me more optimistic overall.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

I don't think it's Rivers vs Herbert really. Yes, Herbert is somewhat better than Rivers was. But Rivers had some really big games, and he didn't get as much help out of the players around him as Herbert has this season.

But the big thing is that even though it is his first season, Staley has the team playing at a level that only Schottenheimer's last team or Norv's 1st couple of Chargers teams played at. We always had good players here and there, but the personnel across the board is just executing at a much higher level. We are on our 2nd string RT and 2nd string RG, but they played pretty well. Harris has been missing and Campbell has played a lot. Pick your position, just about everyone is playing pretty well or better.

Some of it is the game day coaching, and some of it is the preparation. But the players have responded. Guys like Davis, and Mike Williams who just flashed ability a little bit here and there are playing out of their minds.

Both our offense and D are much more complicated schemes than we had before, but there is very little confusion and hesitation. The communication is excellent. Staley and the staff are doing an outstanding job teaching the players what to do. The situational football is excellent.

Comment

• Parcells
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

That 2006 team was an absolute juggernaut. But don’t forget the 2009 team. We entered the playoffs as a #2 seed and had reeled off 11 straight wins. Take away the QB, and those were better overall teams. But with the Staley/Herbert combo, I’ve got a ton of optimism.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

All that say how Rivers was never clutch or that he didn't deliver in pressure situations have got to be kidding me. All that talk is serious BS. And I'm not talking about BS the head coach. Go on Youtube, type in Philip Rivers - Game Winning Drives - parts 1-3. Rivers has been clutch and delivered many times for the team in his time as a Charger.

Rivers had to play with lousy teams for most of the 2010s thanks to bad management and incompetence at head coaching.

The people who had a part in the Staley hire should be given credit. If it was Dean, Telesco, and John, they need to be given their credit. If they receive their criticism, they should receive their praise too.

Comment

• TTThunder
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

I was quite optimistic last year, after seeing Herbert a few games and learnt that he was a Bolts fan growing up...

Then, this year, I got the coach who has all characteristics that I want:
                  +++
                  Originally posted by TTThunder View Post
                  1. Maximize players ability (teach, scheme to strength & hide weakness, exploit opponent's weakness...)

2. Creativity (Have our special team tried anything than just punt?)

3. Aggressiveness (When was the last time our team won by a lots of points?)

4. Make all players / coaches accountable.

(Sorry, but I think Lynn failed all...)

Go Bolts!!!
                  +++

So yes, I am the most optimistic now!

The 2 most important parts of a team:

QB: Rivers is very good, but so far Herbert has been excellent (and what I love the most is that he always tries to improve!!)....

Coach: Stanley >>>>>> All coaches during Rivers' era...

Go Bolts!!!

Comment

• WindsorUK
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Windsor, U.K.
                    • Send PM

The best Rivers QB'd teams were led by LT.
                    The best Herbert QB'd teams will be led by Herbert.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post
                      I'll tell you when I was the most optimistic as a Chargers fan...fucking 1979 season entering the playoffs vs. the Houston Oilers sans Pastorini, Campbell, and Burroughs. Yeah, that game. And we had them at home. Sky-high expectations unmet! Fouts threw FIVE INT's that day. That was freaky. I still can't get over that game.
                      I remember that game...i was a kid. The Oilers used some sort of dime defense. Every time the Chargers ran (chuck mincie?) they gained yards....they probably could have just run the ball and won it. But they insisted on passing....I could see if the running game was not working.

Seems to me that dime type of defense was kinda new and Fouts could not figure it out or something.

The other killer loss in that era...the ice bowl in Cincy....too cold for the bolts passing game. That was a great team.

Comment

• Parcells
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
                        The best Rivers QB'd teams were led by LT.
                        The best Herbert QB'd teams will be led by Herbert.
                        The 2009 team was led by Rivers. LT was clearly on the downside of his career. That team ran through Rivers and was a damned good team.

I love Herbert. I think he has a higher upside than Rivers. But please don’t go shitting on Rivers. Seriously. That guy didn’t miss a game for fourteen seasons as our starting QB. He played on a partially torn ACL in the 2008 AFC Championship game. He was the heart and soul of our team for a long time. When we were shit, he never waivered. He never asked for a trade or tried to leave town. I brought my second son home from the hospital in a Philip Rivers jersey, and I don’t regret that decision. I believe he will make the Hall of Fame and I plan to be there when he gets in. Rivers gave his all to this franchise. And when it was time to part ways, the team was the one that chose to part ways. I knew it was the right move. But it was still tough.

Again, I am so pumped about the Justin Herbert era. He’s doing things that are mind-blowing. But that doesn’t mean we should go shitting on the memory of Phil Rivers.

Comment

• bartman83642
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post
                          All that say how Rivers was never clutch or that he didn't deliver in pressure situations have got to be kidding me. All that talk is serious BS. And I'm not talking about BS the head coach. Go on Youtube, type in Philip Rivers - Game Winning Drives - parts 1-3. Rivers has been clutch and delivered many times for the team in his time as a Charger.

Rivers had to play with lousy teams for most of the 2010s thanks to bad management and incompetence at head coaching.

The people who had a part in the Staley hire should be given credit. If it was Dean, Telesco, and John, they need to be given their credit. If they receive their criticism, they should receive their praise too.
                          Yeah, Rivers was actually pretty decent in those situations. Tied for 12th all time in game winning drives and tied for 10th all time in 4th qtr. comebacks.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍