Are You More Optimistic Than You Were at Any Point in the Philip Rivers Era?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RTPbolt
    Charger Fan till the end
    • Jun 2013
    • North Carolina
    • Send PM

Rivers….i had fricken dreams about the guy…not sure why but I did help him build his desk in his office…in my dream. Great player and personality that just cracked me up. He loved the game like few Ive ever seen. Much respect.

Herbert is humble and so damn gifted. He is truly the ideal QB. Size, bullet throwing arm, touch throws, accuracy, good decision making, can move in the pocket, can run with it, no fear whatsover (never a deer in the headlights moment), and high intelligence. Outside of Allen I dont think there is another like him and he did that right out of the box in his rookie year! Allen looked like a rookie his rookie year…i saw him play at NE and it was ugly.

We are lucky beyond belief. Now its up to Staley, Lombardi and TT to put the rest in place to hoist the L trophy above Herberts head. We have waited long enough!

Comment

• PR#1
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

There is no need to put down Rivers in order to raise Herbert up

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I disagree with the notion that Rivers was not a clutch player (as he produced many, many come from behind wins for us) and with the notion that Herbert is more accurate than Rivers was. Both QBs are/were accurate. Herbert can get away with throws into smaller windows than Rivers could because he has a much stronger arm. Rivers compensated some with a very quick release (fastest in the league), but the arm strength difference between him and Herbert is night and day. Both QBs are/were very good from the neck up in terms of reading defenses and making the right play.
        Okay, good point on arm strength, there, Crusher. I think most of Rivers's come-from-behind wins were in his early and mid-career years. His last couple years, there is no doubt he tailed off in this department...

Comment

• Parcells
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

One of his greatest come-from-behind wins was at KC in 2018 when we scored the TD and went for 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
            One of his greatest come-from-behind wins was at KC in 2018 when we scored the TD and went for 2.
            That same season also featured a comeback from 23-7 down at Pittsburgh.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
              Rivers….i had fricken dreams about the guy…not sure why but I did help him build his desk in his office…in my dream. Great player and personality that just cracked me up. He loved the game like few Ive ever seen. Much respect.

Herbert is humble and so damn gifted. He is truly the ideal QB. Size, bullet throwing arm, touch throws, accuracy, good decision making, can move in the pocket, can run with it, no fear whatsover (never a deer in the headlights moment), and high intelligence. Outside of Allen I dont think there is another like him and he did that right out of the box in his rookie year! Allen looked like a rookie his rookie year…i saw him play at NE and it was ugly.

We are lucky beyond belief. Now its up to Staley, Lombardi and TT to put the rest in place to hoist the L trophy above Herberts head. We have waited long enough!
              No truer words were ever written. When Rivers retired, I was prepared for QB purgatory. The Chargers have had a Pro Bowl QB start every game since Week 1 of 2004 - 17 seasons. I thought it was possible this franchise could go for years searching for another franchise QB, like so many teams have forever. To have Herbert fall into the franchise's lap is almost unbelievable. As good as Rivers was, nobody is missing him. I thought we were going to be in for years of pining for the good old days when Rivers the rock - he never missed a start - was our QB. It never occurred to me his immediate successor might be even better. I really feel for Dolphins fans. I know they are sick. Herbert was right there for them to take. The decision to draft Tua instead has completely altered the direction and fortunes of two franchises. It will be a while before that franchise and fan base gets over it (unless of course Tua surprises everyone and turns into a Pro Bowl QB).

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

That same season also featured a comeback from 23-7 down at Pittsburgh.

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                  No truer words were ever written. When Rivers retired, I was prepared for QB purgatory. The Chargers have had a Pro Bowl QB start every game since Week 1 of 2004 - 17 seasons. I thought it was possible this franchise could go for years searching for another franchise QB, like so many teams have forever. To have Herbert fall into the franchise's lap is almost unbelievable. As good as Rivers was, nobody is missing him. I thought we were going to be in for years of pining for the good old days when Rivers the rock - he never missed a start - was our QB. It never occurred to me his immediate successor might be even better. I really feel for Dolphins fans. I know they are sick. Herbert was right there for them to take. The decision to draft Tua instead has completely altered the direction and fortunes of two franchises. It will be a while before that franchise and fan base gets over it (unless of course Tua surprises everyone and turns into a Pro Bowl QB).
                  I was so behind Herbert that I wouldn't have shed a tear to move up to the third or 4th spot to ensure we got our guy ahead of Miami. I was literally crapping in my pants hoping Miami wouldn't take Herbert with the 5th pick. For a franchise QB you believe in I would have burned our second rounder to move up ahead of Miami and NOT TAKE THE CHANCE!

:whistlin:

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                    French Speaking Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Québec city
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I was so behind Herbert that I wouldn't have shed a tear to move up to the third or 4th spot to ensure we got our guy ahead of Miami. I was literally crapping in my pants hoping Miami wouldn't take Herbert with the 5th pick. For a franchise QB you believe in I would have burned our second rounder to move up ahead of Miami and NOT TAKE THE CHANCE!

:whistlin:
                    It is a real chance that you are not the Chargers GM !

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

It is a real chance that you are not the Chargers GM !
                      I'm sorry I think your english translator is not working. I'm not Tom Telesco...but if I was the GM I would have done everything I could to have moved ahead of Miami and not take the chance without giving up the farm (2nd or even 3rd rounder) . TT thought Tua might be alright...TT thought Anthony Lynn was a competent coach. I believed from the get go that Herbert was much better than Tua. Tom Telesco was extremely lucky that shit didn't go sideways and we we're stuck with Tua...

:wtf2:
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

That would have been a great game to attend.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

I voted yes, but not as an immediate momentary yes but overall anticipated career yes. I dont’ think the ‘21 team is nearly as strong overall as the ‘06 team. And I’m not knocking PR - I don’t think saying JH10 >> PR is a knock on PR, we all know PR is HOF bound. but I strongly think JH10 >> PR in every facet of the game:

- Better arm - stronger, more accurate
                          - Better wheels - added dimension PR lacked
                          - Better overall disposition - calmer, cooler
                          - More clutch - just an opinion

I go back with H2A as the ‘79 team was my most optimistic moment. I was so certain of SDC victory over the crippled Oilers that I spent the night Sat night before game in line outside the ring at the Q to buy tickets for the AFCCG. Hell of an all-night party, we were 3rd in line. Horrible end to gather up the gear and shuffle back off to our cars as folks in cowboy hats came out of the stadium laughing and smiling.

PR - the more years went on, the less optimistic I was he could win the big one. Still rooted, still pulled for him, still hoped for the best. Just being honest. He got less clutch as years went by, almost could feel it through the TV screen. I agree 2006 was the best team and PR without LT-Prime never felt like they had quite the same shot. LT-Prime was also Gates-Prime, btw.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X