Should We Stop Going For It On 4th Down?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Silversurfer
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Los Angeles
    • Send PM

Live by the gun die by the gun. I will still ride with Staley on being agressive. Were instilling a culture here but players really need to freaking execute for sure.
    We have to be the only team that can catch the ball and knock ourself out in the process "Come on man".
    I Really hope Parham is okay though.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Staley reminds me of Kevin Costner in "The Tin Cup." On the final hole of the U.S. Open, he's leading, but hits the ball into the water. Instead of taking a penalty, he keeps hitting more balls, claiming, "I can make this shot." But each shot costs him a stroke, and he runs his total to the max of 10 balls. He ends up losing the tournament, but makes the final shot. So, he scores a personal victory, (in his mind) but ends up losing. That's Staley, only Staley didn't even make the final shot.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        Staley reminds me of Kevin Costner in "The Tin Cup." On the final hole of the U.S. Open, he's leading, but hits the ball into the water. Instead of taking a penalty, he keeps hitting more balls, claiming, "I can make this shot." But each shot costs him a stroke, and he runs his total to the max of 10 balls. He ends up losing the tournament, but makes the final shot. So, he scores a personal victory, (in his mind) but ends up losing. That's Staley, only Staley didn't even make the final shot.

The difference is that going for it increases the chance of winning and has nothing to do with being stubborn like in that movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xenos View Post
          Most NFL coaches are still dinosaurs when it comes to the game. They play mostly to not lose the game. Guys like Reich, Harbaugh, and Doug Pederson were the rare exceptions.
          Too funny. These dinosaurs so to speak have won Superbowls. If Staley's approach wins a superbowl, I will change my opinion about this question. I mean..last nite..so many points were left on the field...we could have won easily.

Analytics? Isn't that why Bochy left the Pads..went to SF and won World Series?

Comment

• BlazingBolt
            SLAM DUNK!
            • Jun 2013
            • East County San Diego
            • Bolt fanatic
            • Send PM

I like going for it in some situations but I do have the feeling we are going for it too often.

I do feel the dropped passes and getting stopped on 4th down cost us this game along with Derwin gong out.
            migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post
              Live by the gun die by the gun. I will still ride with Staley on being agressive. Were instilling a culture here but players really need to freaking execute for sure.
              We have to be the only team that can catch the ball and knock ourself out in the process "Come on man".
              I Really hope Parham is okay though.
              Aside from the decisions by Staley.. again, the inability to catch passes has been this teams biggest reason for losing games. It happens way too much.

Catch the MFIng ball or find somebody to catch the MFIng ball

Comment

• Xenos
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Hupperdoo View Post

Too funny. These dinosaurs so to speak have won Superbowls. If Staley's approach wins a superbowl, I will change my opinion about this question. I mean..last nite..so many points were left on the field...we could have won easily.

Analytics? Isn't that why Bochy left the Pads..went to SF and won World Series?
                Harbaugh won a SB, and so did Pederson/Reich as his OC. Belichick had the Goat in Tom Brady. We’ll see if he wins another ring without him.

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                  I like going for it in some situations but I do have the feeling we are going for it too often.

I do feel the dropped passes and getting stopped on 4th down cost us this game along with Derwin gong out.
                  I think we’re going for it as much as the numbers tell us to. No more. No less.

Comment

• Xenos
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I am still somewhat of a John Madden type. I think the big one is getting the 1st points on the board. it was the opening drive, I think making that a statement piece. You drive down running the ball down the field, then throw 4 straight passes. I would have tried to run it in 3 straight times, then kick if you don't get it, just to get points on the board quickly. Let KC know they have to stop our run, or they are going to get it all night long.

By the time it is 14-10, I get going for it then. KC is getting the ball back in the 2nd half, we have left a bunch of points on the field, we haven't controlled ball like we wanted. I think they felt like they had to have the margin, so that one I get.
                    I wouldn’t have tried to run it in three times in the first drive. At least once. But not three times.

Comment

• Silversurfer
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Los Angeles
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Aside from the decisions by Staley.. again, the inability to catch passes has been this teams biggest reason for losing games. It happens way too much.

Catch the MFIng ball or find somebody to catch the MFIng ball
                      Yes! These mofos need to work on catching drills. Throw tackling and taking bad angles in there as well.

Comment

• Silversurfer
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Los Angeles
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I wouldn’t have tried to run it in three times in the first drive. At least once. But not three times.
                        Especially not with Joshua Kelly, J.J was lighting it up or even a limp Ekeler could have done better.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The difference is that going for it increases the chance of winning.
                          sure, if you make it. If you don’t you lost 3 Points and gave the opposition a huge momentum surge.

It’s not a win/win situation based on the outcome.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍