Should We Stop Going For It On 4th Down?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charge!
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Dropped passes on third down it seems - way too often. Very true... would have needed less fourth downs and probably scored many more points if just middle of the NFL.
    agree.....

imagine on last drive before OT, if MW had turned to look for that quick pass herbie launched to beat a blitz......MW would have caught that in FG range, or if he stayed on his feet, scored a long TD.....

This team is very close to being much better..... just needs more consistency.....

Comment

• Charge!
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
      One thing we learned from this game is we sure need a capable backup for Derwin. Looks to me like it would be smart to have a LB slow Kelce at the LOS with Derwin out.
      agree, and kelsey acts tough, but does not play well when teams rough him up......

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

agree, and kelsey acts tough, but does not play well when teams rough him up......
        Murray played 10 snaps
        he really doesn't have a place on the field

I was wondering why they didn't line him up against Kelce and just have him knock the crap out of Kelce coming off the line of scrimmage. maybe it just temporarily stops the play but anything was better than nothing

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Kelce is a division rival, if James is the only guy who can cover him, we need to invest in a plan B
          we simply don't have DB depth
          Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Air Coryell
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2021
            • Carlsbad, CA
            • Teacher, Coach, CFO
            • Send PM

Staley made poor decisions inside the 10. Both were 4 and > 3 yards. Very little field to guard. Cost us 6 points, momentum and in my opinion the game.

Comment

• Bolts318
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Staley's ego cost us this game. I sense this guy will be another graduate of chargers university-4 years and out. He took us from a potential division lead to having to scoreboard watch today. In a strange way, the Texans game might be his biggest test of the year. If we don't bounce back, it will be a terrible sign the players don't care for him either.

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
                Staley made poor decisions inside the 10. Both were 4 and > 3 yards. Very little field to guard. Cost us 6 points, momentum and in my opinion the game.
                I don't agree. They had passes that were catchable but dropped - that isn't on the coach.
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• AK47
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I don't agree. They had passes that were catchable but dropped - that isn't on the coach.
                  Catchable balls being dropped in the end zone. The game plan was sound but the execution sucked. That said..........if we (our TE's and WRs) consistently can't catch moderate difficult to sometimes wide open passes then perhaps we should go the FG route. This totally goes against what Staley wanted since training camp which was deliver freakin' knockout blows. Not just for winning games but also for changing the culture.

Comment

• Xenos
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts318 View Post
                    Staley's ego cost us this game. I sense this guy will be another graduate of chargers university-4 years and out. He took us from a potential division lead to having to scoreboard watch today. In a strange way, the Texans game might be his biggest test of the year. If we don't bounce back, it will be a terrible sign the players don't care for him either.
                    Has nothing to do with ego. Every decision to go for it was based on analytics and win probability. We had a chance of winning the division in the first place because of his 4th down decisions.

Comment

• Xenos
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Catchable balls being dropped in the end zone. The game plan was sound but the execution sucked. That said..........if we (our TE's and WRs) consistently can't catch moderate difficult to sometimes wide open passes then perhaps we should go the FG route. This totally goes against what Staley wanted since training camp which was deliver freakin' knockout blows. Not just for winning games but also for changing the culture.
                      Settling for FGs when we shouldn’t. Makes no sense to me. It just means we lose by less. The prior HCs specialties.

Comment

• AK47
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Settling for FGs when we shouldn’t. Makes no sense to me. It just means we lose by less. The prior HCs specialties.
                        Yeah Staley wants to throw freaking knockout blows. Teams don't go this aggressive because they aren't talented enough (we are) and are scared (we aren't).

During the off-season....hey we need players built for this kind of high pressure. We either coach em' or get players that will perform under these situations.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

I see a future Chargers team with a prime Mike Tyson aura
                          feared and invincible.
                          similar to KC
                          Tempting opponents to play catch-up by matching offensive aggression, leading them into Staley's defensive trap.
                          Herbert's potential + hyper aggressive offense can be very hard to beat.
                          Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

Working...
                          X