Should We Stop Going For It On 4th Down?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Quite_Frankly View Post

Look. It was a bad game. I was expecting one with a new coach and system etc. Sooner or later. Mr. Staley meet Mr. Harbaugh. Learn something and stop yapping so much. Your team is soft and thats why the Ravens whipped us plain and simple.

What is your inspiration message for that? We are still tied for first. Its a long season. We can win this division. But we need to get more physical by playoff time. I saw the hero number 33 standing around on a lot of tackles. WTF...
    First of all, what yapping are you talking about with regards to Staley? Staley hasn’t done any yapping.

Second, funny thing about Mr. Harbaugh is that he also does the 4th down thing as well regardless of field position.
    What a breath of fresh air. I have really enjoyed his press conferences after each day of the draft. He clearly has a vision for what he wants and the detailed traits he is looking for in each position on the field. His football IQ is off the charts and he has a very clear way of articulating things. I know he has not coached a

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

The call today...on our own 20...in the beginning of the third quarter...I have never seen anything like that....I can see it at the end of the game in desperation time, or when we are out of field goal range but past the 50...and our kicker is suspect....but not on your own 20. It borders on insanity. Especially with the way the Ravens defense had been playing. Why would the Raven defense be any less effective on a 4th down? We got very lucky with a field goal on that one. Seriously....the honeymoon is over...Telesco needs to have a talk with the coach.

I no longer think Staley is almost perfect. He has a flaw.
      Since we were behind by a mile, I didn't mind the call...just calling Palmer's number seemed a poor choice...KA, Parham, Ekkie or Cook would have been better...Palmer is still a rook and tough for a raw rook going up against a stout defense the Ravens have...

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Look. It was a bad game. I was expecting one with a new coach and system etc. Sooner or later. Mr. Staley meet Mr. Harbaugh. Learn something and stop yapping so much. Your team is soft and thats why the Ravens whipped us plain and simple.

What is your inspiration message for that? We are still tied for first. Its a long season. We can win this division. But we need to get more physical by playoff time. I saw the hero number 33 standing around on a lot of tackles. WTF...
        Yep...on one touchdown, Derwin let Anderson cross right in front of him unchallenged for the catch...and yes, Derwin was mostly standing around on that play...

Comment

• Attack
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Since we were behind by a mile, I didn't mind the call...just calling Palmer's number seemed a poor choice...KA, Parham, Ekkie or Cook would have been better...Palmer is still a rook and tough for a raw rook going up against a stout defense the Ravens have...
          I was ok with that 4th and 1 (?) pass to the left sideline to Palmer that went incomplete. Who knows if Herbo threw a bad pass or if Palmer ran a wrong route. Palmer was open. I didn't mind that Herbo threw to him. It shows that Herbo trusts Palmer.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

I'd say its time to start running better first down plays.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

No.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

The greater problem is the D getting run over again.
                If they made it they still would have gotten blown out.

It is not a good sign that a coach feels compelled to make these decisions.

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

99 problems but this ain't one.
                  .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
                  .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
                  .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
                  .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
                  .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
                  .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
                  .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
                  .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
                  .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• jubei
                    Vagabond Ninja
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

IMO it was NOT a bad call. we had NO momentum so not making it woulda done anything to our momentum. and the D wasnt stopping ravens anyways...which they ended up giving up only a fg IIRC that time. I was totally behind that call. Make the play and it might ignite something that was only embers.

Comment

• UglyTruth
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2018
                      • Send PM

I don’t have a problem with it. You can’t enjoy it when they convert and then complain when they don’t.

Their not going to convert all the time but as long as they convert at a very high rate then it’s worth it.

Like others have mentioned, this defense is trash so punting it away and bringing them back on the field wasn’t doing much. It was worth the try.

Needed a better play selection though imo.
                      Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                      - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                      - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                      - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                      - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                      - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                      - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Critty
                        Dominate the Day.
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

No.
                        If they converted them, then they would have gave themselves some momentum and a chance to win in a game they were getting outplayed.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

I agree with the 4th downs, although I was expecting not to make them. We all now know what it looks like when Herbert has an off game and what it does to the rest of the team. The whole team looked off, but Herbert is the focal point and magnifier.

I think this team, this young team, with a brand new young HC that suddenly has been winning and reading about how great they are and what the darlings of the NFL they are maybe just maybe let it go to their heads a bit. This game against an outstanding coaching staff and a mature roster showed them they cannot do that. It was a good, early lesson that I hope and expect they will learn from.

TG
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍