Should We Stop Going For It On 4th Down?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sonorajim
    replied
    Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

The defense has more weakness that needs to be addressed IMO. On offense we need ROT and a 2nd and maybe even 3rd RB to help Ekeler. Maybe ROG unless Oboushi stays healthy.
    DB depth is our greatest weakness. Nothing else is close. The drop off in DB talent results in L's, most recently vs KC. OL, depth incl, did Not lose that game. The OL depth is actually decent. The coaches have done a good job developing them. We're in a good position to take BPA in the 1st. PON is
    1. CB, 2. S, 3, DT, Edge, RB 4, OL, WR, TE. It'll be interesting to see who we resign, take in FA, where we pick and how the draft talent stacks up.

Leave a comment:

• Xenos
    replied
    Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/03/s...ets-learn.html

That was during the time when Brady was last shut out prior to the most recent 0-9 beating.
    Article from 2006 though. 15 years have passed and now we know more.

Leave a comment:

• ChargersPowderBlue
    replied
    https://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/03/s...ets-learn.html

That was during the time when Brady was last shut out prior to the most recent 0-9 beating.

Leave a comment:

• Xenos
    replied

Fourth down is the new third down

Two weeks ago I micro-analyzed Brandon Staley’s penchant for going against football tradition by consistently going for it on fourth downs when the math told him it advantaged him. On Thursday night, in the 34-28 loss to Kansas City that likely will determine the winner of the AFC West, Staley went for it five times on fourth down—and three times failed.

I asked Champion Gaming chief innovation officer Frank Frigo, a veteran numbers-cruncher at EdjSports, how he felt about each of the five Staley fourth-down calls. He liked four. He didn’t hate the fifth—fourth-and-one at the goal line at the end of the first half—but he would have kicked the field goal there and taken the easy three points. “They probably have a 55 percent chance to convert that into a touchdown,” Frigo said, “but all the benefit of leaving Kansas City with the ball at the 1 if you fail is taken away because it’s at end of the half.”

Frigo said he hopes Staley sticks to his guns, because the math is behind him. “Human beings love to play results,” Frigo said. “If they fail twice on fourth down, the tendency is not to want to go for it on the third try. I hope Staley stays the course. He’s right.”

Leave a comment:

• jubei
    replied
    I'm not upset over being aggressive on 4th downs but I thought try a FG on the longer one and one of the ones that wouldve given you a 7 pt lead. I'm more mad that we had yet another TD drop in the endzone (or was it 2 drops) as well as josh FREAKIN kelley trying to do a leap from beyond the 3 when he's got NO LEAPS!

Leave a comment:

• ChargersPowderBlue
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
    Yep.D line and O line this offseason along with CB and we will be ready to take the division.
    The defense has more weakness that needs to be addressed IMO. On offense we need ROT and a 2nd and maybe even 3rd RB to help Ekeler. Maybe ROG unless Oboushi stays healthy.

Leave a comment:

• Xenos
    replied
    It should be pointed out that kicking it instead of going for it on 4th down did cost us a game this year. 5th one down.

Leave a comment:

• Boltgang74
    replied
    Yep.D line and O line this offseason along with CB and we will be ready to take the division.

Leave a comment:

• Air Coryell
    replied
    Most of you guys are delusional when it comes to winning. I'm a chargers fan, but they have NEVER won anything when given the opportunity. Football is won/lost on the line of scrimmage. Run the ball, protect the passer, STOP the run. Need 3 phases; Chargers have never had all 3. We have lame ownership and a lap dog GM. All of our coaches have very little NFL coaching experience. Yes, we have a great kid in JH. Lets have the organization step up and provide a different future.

Leave a comment:

• 21&500
    replied
    I see a future Chargers team with a prime Mike Tyson aura
    feared and invincible.
    similar to KC
    Tempting opponents to play catch-up by matching offensive aggression, leading them into Staley's defensive trap.
    Herbert's potential + hyper aggressive offense can be very hard to beat.

Leave a comment:

• AK47
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Settling for FGs when we shouldn’t. Makes no sense to me. It just means we lose by less. The prior HCs specialties.
    Yeah Staley wants to throw freaking knockout blows. Teams don't go this aggressive because they aren't talented enough (we are) and are scared (we aren't).

During the off-season....hey we need players built for this kind of high pressure. We either coach em' or get players that will perform under these situations.

Leave a comment:

• Xenos
    replied
    Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Catchable balls being dropped in the end zone. The game plan was sound but the execution sucked. That said..........if we (our TE's and WRs) consistently can't catch moderate difficult to sometimes wide open passes then perhaps we should go the FG route. This totally goes against what Staley wanted since training camp which was deliver freakin' knockout blows. Not just for winning games but also for changing the culture.
    Settling for FGs when we shouldn’t. Makes no sense to me. It just means we lose by less. The prior HCs specialties.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X
😀
😂
🥰
😘
🤢
😎
😞
😡
👍