Should We Stop Going For It On 4th Down?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I think that the vast majority of your post is correct.

However, I disagree regarding part of your take in item 5. We kept Pipkins, Stick, Hill and Webb, but cut Johnson. If we were going to keep an ST only PR in Hill, then we should have kept 6 WRs and not 5. Historically, we have generally kept 6 WRs. Our deep passing game absolutely has not been as good this season. Johnson's primary strength, as with Guyton, is the deep passing game. I think this point is even clearer now than it was when Johnson was cut (when I first made this point). Cutting Johnson was a mistake.

The two new additions both appear to be upgrades as you noted.
    Pipkins is the fly in the ointment for me, Chain. I just don't understand why he is still on the team. So I see your reason for a little push back on my thoughts and don't disagree with it.

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Pipkins is the fly in the ointment for me, Chain. I just don't understand why he is still on the team. So I see your reason for a little push back on my thoughts and don't disagree with it.

TG
      Staley mentioned in an interview I saw that they are still intrigued by his huge upside and think it can be developed. The problem is, he actually looks worse than last year, which is saying something as he was pretty bad last year. I can't imagine he is on the team next year.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
        I'm good with the team using analytics to help them make decisions on critical downs, but the reliance on them can lead to predictability. It's now almost a given that the Chargers will go for it on 4th down and less than 3 to go, so its normally not a surprise to the other team, which may not be included in that probability of success. Anything wrong in the actual call, or execution, you lower the probability of success, that's a given. However analytics are better than a feeling in the gut, or flying by the seat of your pants.
        Not sure its a big surprise when they line up with no kicker on the field anyway. DCs spot that ‘tell’ right away.

Aztecs did a fake FG last week, holder ran from ~20 yards out for a TD. Speaking of Aztecs, hey TT - draft Araiza, Rd 4 - 5! Could be the best 5th rounder of your career (if he’s even still there)
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Heatmiser
          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Is that the punter that literallly has a howitzer for a leg? Can he also place the ball ?

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Looks like we have. Good thing too. It would have been worse.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
              Is that the punter that literallly has a howitzer for a leg? Can he also place the ball ?

TG
              They reported during the Aztec game that he has over a yard higher punting average than the best punter in the history of college football. He also has more 80, 70, 60 and 50 yard punts than any kicker in the NFL does this year.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Araiza is going to get a lot of attention from the NFL just because he doesn't use the sidewinder style that is so popular in college football. The sidewinder punters use the Aussie style of kicking, but it takes a long time to get the punt off, which is why NFL teams don't use it.

Araiza uses a conventional approach and kick, which makes his long kicks that much more amazing. Also, in watching him, while I didn't see him have to adjust on any really horrible snaps, he was constantly adjusting some on just about every punt, which is a nice plus that he is good at getting his body in front of the ball and getting the ball cleanly so he can get the punt off.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Araiza is going to get a lot of attention from the NFL just because he doesn't use the sidewinder style that is so popular in college football. The sidewinder punters use the Aussie style of kicking, but it takes a long time to get the punt off, which is why NFL teams don't use it.

Araiza uses a conventional approach and kick, which makes his long kicks that much more amazing. Also, in watching him, while I didn't see him have to adjust on any really horrible snaps, he was constantly adjusting some on just about every punt, which is a nice plus that he is good at getting his body in front of the ball and getting the ball cleanly so he can get the punt off.
                  He also has a couple of nasty tackles this year where he just lit up the returner.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                    SLAM DUNK!
                    • Jun 2013
                    • East County San Diego
                    • Bolt fanatic
                    • Send PM

Did we go for it at all in the Vikings game on 4th down?
                    migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                      Did we go for it at all in the Vikings game on 4th down?
                      No. Popper pointed out a couple times when the numbers said we should have gone for it.

Comment

• Xenos
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Hupperdoo View Post
                        Looks like we have. Good thing too. It would have been worse.
                        If anything, this game was a case for it.

Comment

• Xenos
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

No. Popper pointed out a couple times when the numbers said we should have gone for it.
                          The 4th and 2 before the FG was definitely more dicey than the 4th and 5 from earlier in the game. I think I would have kicked the FG as well since we were down by 10.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍