POLL: Does Lombardi's Playcalling Stink?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Former Lions QB Dan Orlovsky calls out Joe Lombardi, Mike Martz for stubbornness

“He kept calling plays that the Saints would be very good at,” Orlovsky said. “The Lions and Matthew Stafford weren’t (good at those plays). But he kept calling it, because that’s all he knew. One, that’s all he knew. Two, he saw it be successful somewhere else, so he’s like, ‘No, this works. I’ve seen it work.’”

Comment

• AZBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Boltjolt Boltjolt;n1275349]

That guy is just a writer. One of his tweets says Hebert has it all to lead this offense for years to come. Today he isn't right for it lol. Ok.

This offense worked for Brees pretty well. Why wouldn't it work for Herbert? He could open it up a little more though. That I would agree with.

The defense is a bigger issue imo. Defense needs more talent on it plain and simple. We need to average less than 26-27 points given up per game to win more of them.

Sure we need a RT another RB , could use another WR but we need to be better on defense and it lacks talent.

Vato we resigned and I agreed with that but he isn't a true #1 CB. Our depth is weak too. Gilmon sucked today, so did Campbell.
      Murray not playing well, Tillery not good enough. Need better pass rushers though Nwosu did play well today. We just need better talent. Hopefully FA ',cy bring us some since we got done money to spend.

As for TT, sure I'm fine shitcanning him too. But I don't want another inexperienced guy. TT just needs to be better at acquiring players via trade or for low picks like others do. Just here and there, not all the time like some posters think he should and name every player that comes available and says we should sign them.[/QUOTE]

@ Boltjolt.......I agree with most you say......Charger debth is horrible, just horrible.......Campbell and Gilman were off the charts horrible and picked on all day long.......on a positive note K White and Nwosu played very well, everyone else in between,

the backup RB's lack speed power or moves....Lombardi had the audacity to have Kelley in on 3 important 3rd down opportunities , this guy sucks, is no threat, can't block and dosent know who to block and it shows.....Ekeler should have been in all 3 plays.....I have my doubts about Lombard's play calling too, I don't see and feel we have a good Coordinator here.

We can get by and perform pretty well with the starters, but as soon as injuries occur and depth players enter, everything goes to hell.

Comment

• Boltgang74
        We Are The Storm!
        • Aug 2018
        • Send PM

[QUOTE=richpjr;n1275485]
        Last year our O averaged 382 yards per game (270.6 passing and 111.5 rushing) and scored 24.0 points per game. This year our O averages 370 yards per game (270 passing and 100.2 rushing) and 24.3 points per game.

Herbert averaged 7.3 yards per pass attempt last year and 7.2 this year.

Last year we averaged 3.8 yards per rush attempt. This year we are averaging 4.4 yards per rush attempt.

We clearly are running two completely different offenses, but people have this weird perception that we are somehow so much worse under Lombardi than we were under Steichen. The passing numbers are virtually identical and we are better at rushing, though run it fewer times per game. We also score slightly more points per game. We clearly have spots on the roster that need a talent upgrade but it's pretty much the same as far as results go for the O. People are also forgetting the number of head scratching play calls we had last
        We didnt make the playoffs last year and at this rate probably wont this year.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          Former Lions QB Dan Orlovsky calls out Joe Lombardi, Mike Martz for stubbornness

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2019/...r-stubbornness

You don't think he learned anything from that experience? I hope he did, assume he did.
          If he hasn't then he shouldn't ever be a coach if you don't evolve from experiences.

Does everyone here know that Shane Steichen is the Eagles OC and they ran the ball 39 against us and threw 17 and we beat them.
          Their record is 4-6. They ran the ball 40 times today
          11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
          35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
          37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
          66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
          69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
          100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
          110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
          140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
          181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
          225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by AZBolt View Post
            Boltjolt Boltjolt;n1275349]

That guy is just a writer. One of his tweets says Hebert has it all to lead this offense for years to come. Today he isn't right for it lol. Ok.

This offense worked for Brees pretty well. Why wouldn't it work for Herbert? He could open it up a little more though. That I would agree with.

The defense is a bigger issue imo. Defense needs more talent on it plain and simple. We need to average less than 26-27 points given up per game to win more of them.

Sure we need a RT another RB , could use another WR but we need to be better on defense and it lacks talent.

Vato we resigned and I agreed with that but he isn't a true #1 CB. Our depth is weak too. Gilmon sucked today, so did Campbell.
            Murray not playing well, Tillery not good enough. Need better pass rushers though Nwosu did play well today. We just need better talent. Hopefully FA ',cy bring us some since we got done money to spend.

As for TT, sure I'm fine shitcanning him too. But I don't want another inexperienced guy. TT just needs to be better at acquiring players via trade or for low picks like others do. Just here and there, not all the time like some posters think he should and name every player that comes available and says we should sign them.
            [/QUOTE]

Because.....
            1. Saints O often had a superior offensive line.
            2. Brees was a seasoned 5 year starter when he came to New Orleans...
            3. Brees was more accurate than Herbert, and could anticipate better.....they have different strengths.
            4. Brees is one of the top 10 - 15 greatest quarterbacks to play the game.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

You don't think he learned anything from that experience? I hope he did, assume he did.
              If he hasn't then he shouldn't ever be a coach if you don't evolve from experiences.

Does everyone here know that Shane Steichen is the Eagles OC and they ran the ball 39 against us and threw 17 and we beat them.
              Their record is 4-6. They ran the ball 40 times today
              I wouldn't assume anything right now.

Brought in an offense that placed heavy mental responsibilities on the young qb Herbert.....practically boasted about it.
              Maybe, Herbert will come around near the end of the year - sort of like Rivers with Norv's system.

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                Because.....
                1. Saints O often had a superior offensive line.
                2. Brees was a seasoned 5 year starter when he came to New Orleans...
                3. Brees was more accurate than Herbert, and could anticipate better.....they have different strengths.
                4. Brees is one of the top 10 - 15 greatest quarterbacks to play the game.[/QUOTE]

Lombardo was not the saints coordinator. Having a coordinator who does painting by numbers is not going to work for us. I would not hesitate as a gm to bring in someone else rather than demolish the rest of this season.
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Boltgang74
                  We Are The Storm!
                  • Aug 2018
                  • Send PM

Thats what Im sayin!Dont flush another damn season!Lombo aint it,everyone and their mother can see it.Salvage the season TT.And save the "who else is out there?" crap.TT cashes million dollar checks figure it the f out or clean out your desk cuz the fans are sick to death of your mediocrity!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                    Thats what Im sayin!Dont flush another damn season!Lombo aint it,everyone and their mother can see it.Salvage the season TT.And save the "who else is out there?" crap.TT cashes million dollar checks figure it the f out or clean out your desk cuz the fans are sick to death of your mediocrity!
                    I think its too late to bring in a new OC. But I do think they need to figure it out - maybe scale things back. Execute 10 plays at a very high level instead of having 15 in the playbook and doing some at an A level, some at a B, some at C and some at D

Also, quit the five wide stuff. Give Herbert time in the pocket. Quit playing Josh Kelley - maybe I am wrong but he is not good at blitz pick up. Not sure what he does well.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think its too late to bring in a new OC. But I do think they need to figure it out - maybe scale things back. Execute 10 plays at a very high level instead of having 15 in the playbook and doing some at an A level, some at a B, some at C and some at D

Also, quit the five wide stuff. Give Herbert time in the pocket. Quit playing Josh Kelley - maybe I am wrong but he is not good at blitz pick up. Not sure what he does well.
                      They raved about his ability to pick up the blitz in training camp.

Belichick likes veteran running backs. TT likes the very young and then toss in an occasional long in the tooth one.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Does anyone really think that Staley is going to make a change at OC? I just don't see it. We'll try and get more pieces that fit what he is trying to do in the offseason, but I just don't see a change coming after one season.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                          Does anyone really think that Staley is going to make a change at OC? I just don't see it. We'll try and get more pieces that fit what he is trying to do in the offseason, but I just don't see a change coming after one season.
                          Agree, he is going to account it to growing pains and i agree with him. That and a lack of talent at RB and RT.
                          11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                          35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                          37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                          66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                          69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                          100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                          110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                          140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                          181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                          225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

Working...
                          X