POLL: Does Lombardi's Playcalling Stink?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlazingBolt
    SLAM DUNK!
    • Jun 2013
    • East County San Diego
    • Bolt fanatic
    • Send PM

Boo Lombardi.....he is starting to break Herbert.
    migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      Former Lions QB Dan Orlovsky calls out Joe Lombardi, Mike Martz for stubbornness

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2019/...r-stubbornness
      Lombo sounds a lot like Gus dialing up the prevent defense and the picket fence, repeatedly...doesn't usually work, but keeps going to the well anyways, though the well's gone dry...

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Play call is always impact by execution.
        Don't illegal shift, don't drop it. Dont miss your blocking assignment. Don't run the wrong route. Don't force the rock into coverage. Don't throw behind recievers on crossers.

Only takes one player to mess up a play call.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• SuperCharged
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Utah
          • Midnight Toker
          • Send PM

I am getting pretty frustrated with the play calling. I bet 80% of passes go to the flat. Why? Why can't we dial up seam routes and deep in's rather than quick throws to the flats or out routes? It's mind boggling to me. Free Herbert! Let him take some shots down the field more often. It just feels to vanilla to me.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Lombo sounds a lot like Gus dialing up the prevent defense and the picket fence, repeatedly...doesn't usually work, but keeps going to the well anyways, though the well's gone dry...
            That article is over 2 years old. So when Orvloski says " we could not do it", is he refering to himself? He wasnt exactly a very good NFL backup. Stafford couldnt do what Warner did? They had Calvin Johnson and Golden Tate who had 99 receptions for over 1300 yards in 2014.

In 2014 when Lombardi was the Lions 1st year OC, they went 11-5. They never went 11-5 again there.

When he was fired by the lions, he wasnt the only one. They started 1-6 and many were fired and the Saints rehired him the next season. So they liked something about him.

I think we have weapons on our offense and we can run this offense but it takes time. Maybe add some long throws in the mix, its never a bad thing. Maybe that will come when everybody is in sync.
            11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
            35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
            37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
            66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
            69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
            100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
            110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
            140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
            181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
            225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

That article is over 2 years old. So when Orvloski says " we could not do it", is he refering to himself? He wasnt exactly a very good NFL backup. Stafford couldnt do what Warner did? They had Calvin Johnson and Golden Tate who had 99 receptions for over 1300 yards in 2014.

In 2014 when Lombardi was the Lions 1st year OC, they went 11-5. They never went 11-5 again there.

When he was fired by the lions, he wasnt the only one. They started 1-6 and many were fired and the Saints rehired him the next season. So they liked something about him.

I think we have weapons on our offense and we can run this offense but it takes time. Maybe add some long throws in the mix, its never a bad thing. Maybe that will come when everybody is in sync.
              He said it was the Lions' offensive personnel, not himself, hence the reason he said "we." Coaches who are not able to adapt to their players and instead try to force their players to adapt to what they know and are comfortable with are not successful in the NFL. I've seen it many times watching this game over the decades.

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

He said it was the Lions' offensive personnel, not himself, hence the reason he said "we." Coaches who are not able to adapt to their players and instead try to force their players to adapt to what they know and are comfortable with are not successful in the NFL. I've seen it many times watching this game over the decades.
                I think they call this "Being a stick stuck in the mud!"

:coffee:
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Instead of 'play calling stink', let's look at execution: How many times have you seen the flanker out pass to Keenan work this season? It usually is no gain, and Keenan is destroyed. Chargers ran it twice yesterday, once with Keenan and once with Mike Will. Both were busts.

Vikings ran it once, and their receiver damn near broke the game open. With a play that our WRs cannot beat the opposing defender one-on-one with.

Do not get me started on the 3rd WR execution. Who seem to step-up after the game is lost and pad their stats. Something WR Anthony Miller used to do with regularity.

The Chargers also have the worst starting rotation at RB since the early 1990s.

I look at it long view, each Charger loss brings me closer to a better Charger draft position and Tom Telesco finally removed as GM, as Veach and George Paton are kicking his ass around the block.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Did anyone else catch Herbert scream at Josh Palmer yesterday 'Catch the ball' after Palmer left it go right through his hands? I had never seen that before. It was like Fouts when he was salty. Which was 90% of the time.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

I get that but again, they had Megatron and Tate. Tate had better stats than Megatron that year. They had Reggie Bush, Theo Riddick and Joique Bell at RB. The OL was pretty decent. Again, they went 11-5 and havent done that since 2014 under Jim Caldwell. Thats pretty good personel imo.

The next season in 2015 did them in starting 1-6 and Lombardi wasnt the only coach that was let go. Two OL coaches were also fired by Jim Caldwell. Of course it wasnt his fault lol.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...taff/74858214/

Their defense in 2015 allowed an average of 25 PPG. One of those 6 loses in that span was to us 33-28. First game of the season. Orvloski started their 5th game that season and they lost, defense gave up 42 points.

IDK....Fall guys? Not going to win many when the defense isnt good. Their defense got better later and they won 2 games only scoring 18 points.
                      Last edited by Boltjolt; 11-15-2021, 12:21 PM.
                      11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                      35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                      37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                      66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                      69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                      100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                      110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                      140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                      181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                      225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2021
                        • Send PM

Would Mac Jones be better fit in Lombardi offensive scheme than Justin Herbert?

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                          SLAM DUNK!
                          • Jun 2013
                          • East County San Diego
                          • Bolt fanatic
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                          Did anyone else catch Herbert scream at Josh Palmer yesterday 'Catch the ball' after Palmer left it go right through his hands? I had never seen that before. It was like Fouts when he was salty. Which was 90% of the time.
                          I did see that, first time I remember seeing Herbert get upset at a pass catcher....I guess he's the Veteran and Palmer is the Rookie so it's ok.
                          migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

Working...
                          X