POLL: Does Lombardi's Playcalling Stink?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt Dude
    Draftnik
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...at LEAST send Ekkie on that left side screen with Slater and Feiler out in front blocking...when u have the horses, USE THEM, for crying out loud! What's Lombo doing? Saving that screen play for the playoffs? (he wishes)
    I also think Stephen Anderson is a sneaky good weapon on TE screens. He’s a beast when he gets a head of steam.

We have the weapons—let’s use them…please!!
    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Aside from the Cleveland game, and the first half against Oakland, this offense has not been impressive.
      Chiefs D is horrible, so i'm not counting that.

They were flat out bad against the Ravens and Patriots.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

I also think Stephen Anderson is a sneaky good weapon on TE screens. He’s a beast when he gets a head of steam.

We have the weapons—let’s use them…please!!
        Yep...by the way, I'd like to also use Anderson as a RB to back up Ekkie...just cut JJ already...the experiment with Inaction Jackson is over...

Comment

• UglyTruth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2018
          • Send PM

History repeating itself.
          Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
          - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
          - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
          - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
          - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
          - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
          - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

People do know that Renaldo Hill exists don't they? I don't see him getting called out for the awful defensive performances. The bye week has passed, and still the D is poor at tackling and stopping the run.
            I agree that the defense has struggled at times, but where I distinguish between the two is in terms of overall talent. The offense has Herbert, Ekeler, Allen, Williams, Guyton, Parham and Cook. The offense demonstrated the ability to be explosive on a regular basis last year. Lombardi has just killed that in the offense this year with bad play calling and the misuse of skill players. He is simply not a good OC.

Our defense does not have great run stopping personnel at all. We did not keep our best run stuffing LB in Perryman and we have not made the DL a priority like we have the secondary.

On defense, I think if we fight and struggle and do our best, we might be able to become a top 20 run defense as opposed to being the worst in the NFL. But we are not going to do much more than that. The talent to stop the run at an elite level simply is not on the roster.

Also, Staley is the defensive play caller, not Hill. But again, Staley just does not have the run stoppers on defense. He could play more to stop the run, but that is not a part of his philosophy for good or ill.

Comment

• UglyTruth
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2018
              • Send PM

I wanted Shane Waldron over Lombardi for OC position. Waldron ended up going to Seattle and their offense looked very nice before Wilson got injured.
              Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
              - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
              - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
              - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
              - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
              - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
              - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
                Where were the screen passes to offset hoody’s blitzes? Ekeler is one of the best screen RBs in the league. Not using him on screens is just bad offense, in fact, it’s offensive, and should be a criminal offense.
                It is incredible. If you were ask me going into the season what our three greatest passing strengths are, I would have said 1) short passes to Allen, 2) screen passes to Ekeler, and 3) deep passes to Guyton, Johnson and occasionally Williams.

So what are we doing this year? Deep passes to our slowest WR, no screens to Ekeler, and no deep passes to Guyton at all after cutting Johnson. I would say that we are almost not doing anything that has been a staple of our good Charger offenses over the past several years.

Comment

The Chargers are soft. Mentally.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

It is incredible. If you were ask me going into the season what our three greatest passing strengths are, I would have said 1) short passes to Allen, 2) screen passes to Ekeler, and 3) deep passes to Guyton, Johnson and occasionally Williams.

So what are we doing this year? Deep passes to our slowest WR, no screens to Ekeler, and no deep passes to Guyton at all after cutting Johnson. I would say that we are almost not doing anything that has been a staple of our good Charger offenses over the past several years.
                    We are throwing deep passes to Keenan?
                    11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                    35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                    37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                    66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                    69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                    100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                    110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                    140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                    181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                    225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                      Draftnik
                      • Oct 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Not gonna lie. During the game I caught myself longing for Shane Steichen.
                      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

Teams are getting a pass rush on Herbert now. Changes the look of the offense quite a bit.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Utah
                          • Midnight Toker
                          • Send PM

Sorry but I think that every team knows now if you take away KA and MW we have nothing left. Guyton? Dude is invisible every game. He's a below average #3. Speed kills and we don't have much. It makes Herbert throw into much smaller windows. We have now GLARING issues with LB's, and CB's. and Dline. WR, RT and TE. Cook is not the player he once was. Also Long is a horrible punter. He takes forever to get his kick off.... Seems almost like an extra step. We will need another strong off season to get into an elite team conversation.

Comment

Working...
                          X