POLL: Does Lombardi's Playcalling Stink?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jubei
    Vagabond Ninja
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

If Herbert cant make the D pay for playing man to man he's gonna get a lot more of that. and it's just gonna put even more pressure on the Oline.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Staley said in his postgame that they showd man, played a lot of zone so......
      11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
      35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
      37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
      66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
      69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
      100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
      110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
      140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
      181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
      225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

We got a qb with a cannon and they’re using him like he’s got a pop gun.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

It is incredible. If you were ask me going into the season what our three greatest passing strengths are, I would have said 1) short passes to Allen, 2) screen passes to Ekeler, and 3) deep passes to Guyton, Johnson and occasionally Williams.

So what are we doing this year? Deep passes to our slowest WR, no screens to Ekeler, and no deep passes to Guyton at all after cutting Johnson. I would say that we are almost not doing anything that has been a staple of our good Charger offenses over the past several years.
          ^ This. All Lombo had to do was to continue the above 3 plays, then add a few more, plus occasional well-done gadget plays. Pitiful playcalling. I'll tell you what else has apparently happened...Lombardi has taken away Herbie's confidence with this lame offense...

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

I agree that the defense has struggled at times, but where I distinguish between the two is in terms of overall talent. The offense has Herbert, Ekeler, Allen, Williams, Guyton, Parham and Cook. The offense demonstrated the ability to be explosive on a regular basis last year. Lombardi has just killed that in the offense this year with bad play calling and the misuse of skill players. He is simply not a good OC.

Our defense does not have great run stopping personnel at all. We did not keep our best run stuffing LB in Perryman and we have not made the DL a priority like we have the secondary.

On defense, I think if we fight and struggle and do our best, we might be able to become a top 20 run defense as opposed to being the worst in the NFL. But we are not going to do much more than that. The talent to stop the run at an elite level simply is not on the roster.

Also, Staley is the defensive play caller, not Hill. But again, Staley just does not have the run stoppers on defense. He could play more to stop the run, but that is not a part of his philosophy for good or ill.
            ^ This. Crusher, after watching how the Cheatriots took away our short pass and perimeter pass game, I'm also convinced Lombardi should have AT LEAST dialed up a few deep strikes to Guyton or Mike Will to stretch that defense. T-Billy in there would have also been nice. But did Lombo even ATTEMPT any deep shots, other than that TD to Palmer? Nope. Epic fail...should have at LEAST adjusted by halftime to go with deep strikes...Loser Lombardi needs to go...

Comment

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

We are throwing deep passes to Keenan?
              We threw two today to Keenan that were deep throws. That should be Guyton or Williams.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
                Sorry but I think that every team knows now if you take away KA and MW we have nothing left. Guyton? Dude is invisible every game. He's a below average #3. Speed kills and we don't have much. It makes Herbert throw into much smaller windows. We have now GLARING issues with LB's, and CB's. and Dline. WR, RT and TE. Cook is not the player he once was. Also Long is a horrible punter. He takes forever to get his kick off.... Seems almost like an extra step. We will need another strong off season to get into an elite team conversation.
                Guyton is really good at deep passes. Maybe we should consider throwing him a couple of deep passes every game.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Guyton is really good at deep passes. Maybe we should consider throwing him a couple of deep passes every game.
                  Yep...Guyton is at least good to only drop one out of every 3-4 passes. Better than Lombo's lame repeated play calls for short and perimeter passes that get picked or broken by by opposing D's...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

We threw two today to Keenan that were deep throws. That should be Guyton or Williams.
                    Lol, so wait, you have a problem with that play? He was pretty open. It was a deep out route. Not like he ran a go route.
                    I don't recall another deeper throw to Keenan and 15 of those 41 yards was YAC.

That's a bizarre take imo.
                    11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                    35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                    37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                    66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                    69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                    100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                    110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                    140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                    181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                    225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

I put this on Staley now, handle your blank (OC)
                      if your Staley, you know you can't just hand the offense over to Joe, so you're going to have to get involved.
                      I don't want to hear about you being too busy, this is the priority.
                      your DC Hill looks like he understands what you want, time to focus on offense this week.
                      Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Resized_Screenshot_20211031-232911_Reddit.jpeg
                        Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

I know Lombardi isn't going anywhere anytime soon
                          but just for fun, anyone have any names we could possibly dream about? Any up and comer available in 2022?
                          Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

Working...
                          X