POLL: Does Lombardi's Playcalling Stink?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Last thought, wish Lombardi would get his ass down to field level and talk with Herbert or pretend to when the offense is on the sideline.
    I'm watching Herbert sit there look bored
    pick up an ipad and lie to me!
    Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
      Chargers Hall of Fame
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

“Justin Herbert on Patriots defense: ‘We saw a lot of Cover 2. That was just one of those things that they did not show all year. That is one of those gameplan things where you go into the game, see and address at halftime.’ “

This statement pisses me off and makes me hate Lombardi even more. There’s no way in hell the Chargers didn’t see this on film from Pats prior games nor couldn’t make adjustments well before halftime.

Staley incorrectly chose Lombardi. And now has no way out.

Comment

I don't think so. My belief is that there was early success due to a new offense and lack of film. Now that teams have some game film to study, they are better able to predict and plan for what the Bolts want to do. Nothing else has changed. What we are seeing now is closer to who the real Bolts are.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

LOL...man, sad but a lot of truth to that...especially in the 4th quarter when we were behind, and StaLombo dials up Rountree to run the rock up the gut for nada...or almost nada...I'll say this, Lynn/Stitch would have probably at LEAST taken a few deep shots to Guyton...and not that I like Lynn's playcalling either...

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post
            “Justin Herbert on Patriots defense: ‘We saw a lot of Cover 2. That was just one of those things that they did not show all year. That is one of those gameplan things where you go into the game, see and address at halftime.’ “

This statement pisses me off and makes me hate Lombardi even more. There’s no way in hell the Chargers didn’t see this on film from Pats prior games nor couldn’t make adjustments well before halftime.

Staley incorrectly chose Lombardi. And now has no way out.
            So, did Staley/Lombo address how to adjust for this at halftime with a combination of screens, designed rollouts and deep shots? NOPE...

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
              Last thought, wish Lombardi would get his ass down to field level and talk with Herbert or pretend to when the offense is on the sideline.
              I'm watching Herbert sit there look bored
              pick up an ipad and lie to me!
              ^ This...ALL those sideline shots of Herbie on the bench alone...If I'm the OC, I'm talking to him, making adjustments, I've got my RB's and wideouts gathered around, I've got the ipad as u say, diagramming adjustment plays, getting ready for the next series...but...did we see Lombo doing that? NOPE...

Comment

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Lol, so wait, you have a problem with that play? He was pretty open. It was a deep out route. Not like he ran a go route.
                I don't recall another deeper throw to Keenan and 15 of those 41 yards was YAC.

That's a bizarre take imo.
                So did you completely miss the long pass in the middle of the field to Allen? Allen is the last WR on the roster that should be running that route. That is Guyton's best use and Allen's worst. We refuse to run/throw to Guyton deep. And yet we throw a deep pass to Allen. It is just stupid.

Deep outs in general are not a good idea for Allen, but the pattern that resulted in the long reception was not a traditional out pattern. Allen cut in and then suddenly back out. It relied more on a quick move at the end of the pattern, which is better for Allen than running in one direction for a longer time where his lack of speed may result in him being covered, which is what would tend to happen with a traditional deep out pattern. The play was slow developing and Allen's lack of top end speed does not help in that respect.

So, the play was made, but that is not what Allen is best at doing and others are better with the longer patterns.

But in this offense, everything is to Allen or Williams (or Cook) and is so by design. What I see is that all or almost all of the targets to Guyton come late/very late in Herbert's progressions, after he has ruled out Williams and Allen, and often after Herbert has had to extend the play. Throwaway passes are often in Guyton's direction because that is Herbert's last read and Herbert gets to it so late that the defender has a chance to close any separation Guyton may have obtained.

For example, Guyton was 5+ yards in the clear against KC, but by the time Herbert rolled to his left and made the throw deep against his body, the pass was underthrown, allowing the defender (Sorenson) to get back into the play. That play was a TD if thrown on time and at the right depth.

Then, we have posters here saying that Guyton is not doing anything for us, which tilts the analysis on its head. This offense is not doing anything to design plays for Guyton. If we had the ability to deep pass in one system and do not have that ability in another and the QB and receivers are all young and not in steep decline, that tells me that there is a problem with the system and not the players.

The numbers scream that as well. Now through 7 games, we have exactly one passing play of over 45 yards. Again, we had 10 of those last season. This problem could not be more obvious. I told everyone that this would be a problem when we cut T-Billy, but then I thought it would be more personnel based than system based. I honestly did not believe that our OC would be stupid enough to stop running our fastest receivers deep and dialing up shots for them as a complement to Allen and Williams to keep defenses honest.

It is difficult for me to overstate how important of a contribution one additional long TD would have been for us on a day when our offense is struggling to gain traction. That is when the team needs the big play the most. Just one play could have made all the difference, but we would not and will not even try for it.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post
                  So did you completely miss the long pass in the middle of the field to Allen? Allen is the last WR on the roster that should be running that route. That is Guyton's best use and Allen's worst. We refuse to run/throw to Guyton deep. And yet we throw a deep pass to Allen. It is just stupid.
                  ^ This. Earlier this year, we were all crowing about what a great job Lombardi was doing of using Mike Will on different routes than before, and hence his production was way up. Now, inexplicably, Lombo isn't using KA and Guyton correctly. Trying to fit square pegs into round holes...so much for Staley's supposed philosophy of "maximizing the players' talents..."

Comment

• UglyTruth
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2018
                    • Send PM

Sharp made a brain fart on the name but yeah I think he meant Lombardi not Staley since the former calls the plays.
                    Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                    - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                    - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                    - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                    - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                    - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                    - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

^ This. Earlier this year, we were all crowing about what a great job Lombardi was doing of using Mike Will on different routes than before, and hence his production was way up. Now, inexplicably, Lombo isn't using KA and Guyton correctly. Trying to fit square pegs into round holes...so much for Staley's supposed philosophy of "maximizing the players' talents..."
                      To yours and chainy's point, it's perplexing to us mere mortal fans, I'm hoping Lombo isn't getting too cute.
                      Really does look like the offense is trying to be too clever when sometimes football is simple
                      and it's simple when you have a justin herbert
                      no need to do the unexpected, go get a traditional X and Y and see if anyone can stop you.
                      I'm looking at the titans offense and remembering their OC was a candidate for us
                      no disrespect to Brandon, I'm still his biggest fan, but I'm reserving the right to think aloud as a diehard fan to wonder if that wasn't the better fit.
                      No we don't have a derrick Henry (apparently they might not either as of today) but they do simple enough things that our qb would be that on steroids.
                      should have gone in on Julio Jones like many of us wanted
                      williams is our Brown
                      KA is better than any of their slot guys
                      we get that bruiser at rb and playaction all day
                      Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Caslon
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Send PM

“Rommel… you magnificent son of a bitch, I READ YOUR BOOK !!!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Now thats funny :lol:
                          11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                          35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                          37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                          66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                          69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                          100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                          110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                          140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                          181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                          225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

Working...
                          X