POLL: Does Lombardi's Playcalling Stink?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

POLL: Does Lombardi's Playcalling Stink?

Okay...

...I get that Herbie had another "off game"--picks, incompletes, maybe one or two miscommunications
    ...I get that there were also a few catchable balls that were dropped
    ...I get that our rushing D is still below average
    ...I get that our D is still whiffing on some tackles
    ...I get that it's tough going up vs. Hoodie, even with a rook QB

...BUT...

...Couldn't Lombardi/Staley at LEAST come up with some more creative playcalling? For example...

...Couldn't Lombo at LEAST quit sending Rountree up the gut for nada, or almost nada, repeatedly, when we were behind in the 4th quarter and needed to PASS, PASS, PASS to catch up?
    ...Couldn't Lombo at LEAST have taken a few shots to Guyton or Mike Will deep? Even Palmer showed he could score deep with that impressive catch for that TD...but it was TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE...
    ...Couldn't Lombo at LEAST have taken ONE deep shot when we had the rock for that one play before the end of the first half?
    ...With the Cheatriot pass rush as fierce as it was, with the Pats DL's tipping multiple passes/hurries/sacks, couldn't Lombo/Staley at LEAST have called a few designed roll-outs, to buy Herbie more time to go through his check-downs, and/or chuck it deep?
    ...Couldn't the Bolts at LEAST have used a little deception in playcalling, from time to time? Offense was TOTALLY vanilla...

Sorry, this was a winnable game vs. a team with a formerly losing record. Not impressed with StaLombo's playcalling at all...
    Yes, the playcalling stinks!
    80.56%
    No, playcalling doesn't stink!
    11.11%
    Other--see my answer
    8.33%
    Last edited by Topcat; 10-31-2021, 05:10 PM.
  • FoutsFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Birmingham AL
    • Send PM

It definitely has been suspect the last 2 games. He needs to adjust better to man heavy coverages. Until he does we will see a heavy helping of that.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Norton stinks and badly. Play calling can be better for sure. Relies on the same formation, i say mix it up. Throw in some screens for that man coverage, maybe a couple draws here and there when the DL is licking their chops with the OL sucking. Dont let them pin their ears back. At least try to keep them guessing.
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 10-31-2021, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Changed the title... didn't know who Lombi was.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
          Changed the title... didn't know who Lombi was.
          Another lame nicname by TopTanic.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
            Chargers Hall of Fame
            • Sep 2019
            • Send PM

I stated from the beginning that my biggest concern coming into this season was Joe Lombardi. I feel the same today. YOu can point to the overall strong offensive numbers on the season, but I'd simply point you back to Herbert and the success he had even last year under Anthony Lynn and that horrendous starting OL (which is entirely gone).

There's a reason he only reached the height of QB coach under Payton and was a disaster as the Lions OC. I'm afraid, too, that Staley would keep this guy well beyond when he should because of the loyalty and history they share.

I'm also concerned about Staley's defensive game plans (why aren't they as creative and baffling to a rookie QB as other coaches seem to make their schemes, especially after a BYE week). But that's a topic for another thread.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

I'm also concerned about Staley's defensive game plans (why aren't they as creative and baffling to a rookie QB as other coaches seem to make their schemes, especially after a BYE week). But that's a topic for another thread.
              People do know that Renaldo Hill exists don't they? I don't see him getting called out for the awful defensive performances. The bye week has passed, and still the D is poor at tackling and stopping the run.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                Norton sticks and badly. Paly calling can be better for sure. Relies on the same formation, i say mix it up. Throw in some screens for that man coverage, maybe a couple draws here and there when the DL is licking their chops with the OL sucking. Dont let them pin their ears back. At least try to keep them guessing.
                ^ Agree...one of the best ways to beat the pass rush is with screens...come on, Staley, and u r supposed to be the genius wunderkid? Come on, man!

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

People do know that Renaldo Hill exists don't they? I don't see him getting called out for the awful defensive performances. The bye week has passed, and still the D is poor at tackling and stopping the run.
                  By all means, call Hill out! Bolts still whiffing on a lot of tackles and run D still woeful...Bolt D still overrunning some plays instead of staying disciplined and hemming in the ballcarrier...come on, TT! Trade for a run stopper! Do yer job!!!

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post
                    I stated from the beginning that my biggest concern coming into this season was Joe Lombardi. I feel the same today. YOu can point to the overall strong offensive numbers on the season, but I'd simply point you back to Herbert and the success he had even last year under Anthony Lynn and that horrendous starting OL (which is entirely gone).

There's a reason he only reached the height of QB coach under Payton and was a disaster as the Lions OC. I'm afraid, too, that Staley would keep this guy well beyond when he should because of the loyalty and history they share.

^ This...Oops...first we had Loyal Lynn...now we have, ahem...Stubborn Staley...

I think the Staley Honeymoon is over...wow...just...wow...

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                      Draftnik
                      • Oct 2020
                      • Send PM

Where were the screen passes to offset hoody’s blitzes? Ekeler is one of the best screen RBs in the league. Not using him on screens is just bad offense, in fact, it’s offensive, and should be a criminal offense.
                      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
                        Where were the screen passes to offset hoody’s blitzes? Ekeler has got to be one of the best screen RBs in the league.
                        Yep...at LEAST send Ekkie on that left side screen with Slater and Feiler out in front blocking...when u have the horses, USE THEM, for crying out loud! What's Lombo doing? Saving that screen play for the playoffs? (he wishes)

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍