Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Halfway Point Review

Bolts are in first place.

Yes problems remain, but the Bolts are in first place. This has been our best season opening performance in many a year.

Enjoy the good times while they’re here.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.
  • Fleet 1
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Kauai
    • Send PM

5-3. Tons of work to do. But ok with it. Still need to overcome some critical weaknesses that will always kill you if you make the postseason. Stopping the run...getting after the QB and protecting yours.

Just gonna buy into the hype that this team is going through growing pains. Not a huge fan of Murray yet....but i think getting him and Bulaga back will pay some dividends.

If Herbert is clicking this team will always have a chance. Ultra smart kid....so his 2 down games were always going to produce a smarter player. I still think hes at his best when hes flushed out as crazy as it is to say that...he rolls away from pressure so effortlessly and fluid....buys time for his WRs to get open. Allen and MW will find a way to get open for him. Last year his deep balls to Guyton and TJ seemed to always be while on the move.

I have wondered a few times this season if Lombardi is asking him to stay in the pocket and improve apon his pocket awareness? Just let the kid do what he does best. And thats make plays on the move. Defenses hate it when a fucking rocket armed QB is rolling out of the pocket. it exposes the weaker DBs the longer they have to cover.

Im in a really good mood today. Part of that is probably my new life in paradise and a really clean diet/training routine....but some of it is absolutely a Chargers win and being 5-3 at the halfway point.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

I’m really happy with where we are and our future.
      We need to get healthier in the secondary.
      K9 returning soon will only bolster an improving D.
      DL with J. Jones is much better/Linval having a resurgent season/Tillery is …..
      Offense goes as far as Storm/Bulaga coming back healthy can take us.
      JH10 keeps growing in this new scheme.
      If we are healthy at the end of the season, we will be a tough out in the postseason.

Next offseason we could compose a roster something like this……..

- PROJECTED 53 - MAN ROSTER & STARTING LINEUPS -

OFFENSE (25) -

QB = J. HERBERT (R1/20), E. STICK(R5/19)

RB = A. EKELER (UDFA/17), K. BROOKS (R-R4/22), J. KELLEY (R4/20), J. MARTIN (R-R7/22)

HB/FB = S. ANDERSON (UDFA/19)

WR = K. ALLEN (R3/13), M. WILLIAMS (R1/17), T. BURKS (R-R1/22), J. PALMER (R3/21), J. GUYTON (UDFA/19), A. ROBERTS (FA/21)

TE = D. PARHAM (UDFA/20), T. MCKITTY (R3/21), L. KRULL (R-R7/22)

OL = R. SLATER (R1/21), M. FEILER (UFA/21), C. LINSLEY (UFA/21), O. ABOUSHI (UFA/21), C. ROBINSON (UFA/22)
      M. CUNNINGHAM (R-R2/22), B. JAIMES (R5/21), T. KARRAS (UFA/22), V. LOWE (R-R7/22)

DEFENSE (25) -

DL = J. JONES (R3/18), S. JOSEPH-DAY (UFA/22), BJ HILL (UFA/22)
      J. RIDGEWAY (R-R4/22), C. DURDEN (R-R6/22), J. TILLERY (R1/19)

EDGE = J. BOSA (R1/16), R. GREGORY (UFA/22), B. MOFA (R-R3/22), C. RUMPH (R4/21)

ILB = K. MURRAY (R1/20), K. WHITE (R4/18), D. TRANQUILL (R4/19), N. NIEMANN (R6/21), A. OBONGBEMIGA (UDFA/21)

CB = C. DAVIS (UFA/22), A. SAMUEL (R2/21), M. DAVIS (UDFA/17), T. CAMPBELL (UDFA/20), C. BRYANT (R-R6/22)

DS = D. JAMES (D1/18), N. ADDERLEY (R2/19), A. GILMAN (R6/20), M. WEBB (R7/21), Z. MCCOLLUM (R-R5/22)
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Riverwalk
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2021
        • Send PM

No offense, but most of us know who’s returning and it clutters up who you think the team should draft and when.

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
          No offense, but most of us know who’s returning and it clutters up who you think the team should draft and when.
          I’ll keep that in mind newbie.
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet Admin View Post
            5-3. Tons of work to do. But ok with it. Still need to overcome some critical weaknesses that will always kill you if you make the postseason. Stopping the run...getting after the QB and protecting yours.

Just gonna buy into the hype that this team is going through growing pains. Not a huge fan of Murray yet....but i think getting him and Bulaga back will pay some dividends.

If Herbert is clicking this team will always have a chance. Ultra smart kid....so his 2 down games were always going to produce a smarter player. I still think hes at his best when hes flushed out as crazy as it is to say that...he rolls away from pressure so effortlessly and fluid....buys time for his WRs to get open. Allen and MW will find a way to get open for him. Last year his deep balls to Guyton and TJ seemed to always be while on the move.

I have wondered a few times this season if Lombardi is asking him to stay in the pocket and improve apon his pocket awareness? Just let the kid do what he does best. And thats make plays on the move. Defenses hate it when a fucking rocket armed QB is rolling out of the pocket. it exposes the weaker DBs the longer they have to cover.

Im in a really good mood today. Part of that is probably my new life in paradise and a really clean diet/training routine....but some of it is absolutely a Chargers win and being 5-3 at the halfway point.
            ^ This. Great points. It's been said that Big Ben passes well when he is being hit or impacted...well, Herbie passes very well while he's scrambling, especially if it's a DESIGNED scramble...buys a few precious ticks on the clock to make an additional read and/or for a wideout to get separation...

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
              I’m really happy with where we are and our future.
              We need to get healthier in the secondary.
              K9 returning soon will only bolster an improving D.
              DL with J. Jones is much better/Linval having a resurgent season/Tillery is …..
              Offense goes as far as Storm/Bulaga coming back healthy can take us.
              JH10 keeps growing in this new scheme.
              If we are healthy at the end of the season, we will be a tough out in the postseason.

Next offseason we could compose a roster something like this……..

- PROJECTED 53 - MAN ROSTER & STARTING LINEUPS -

OFFENSE (25) -

QB = J. HERBERT (R1/20), E. STICK(R5/19)

RB = A. EKELER (UDFA/17), K. BROOKS (R-R4/22), J. KELLEY (R4/20), J. MARTIN (R-R7/22)

HB/FB = S. ANDERSON (UDFA/19)

WR = K. ALLEN (R3/13), M. WILLIAMS (R1/17), T. BURKS (R-R1/22), J. PALMER (R3/21), J. GUYTON (UDFA/19), A. ROBERTS (FA/21)

TE = D. PARHAM (UDFA/20), T. MCKITTY (R3/21), L. KRULL (R-R7/22)

OL = R. SLATER (R1/21), M. FEILER (UFA/21), C. LINSLEY (UFA/21), O. ABOUSHI (UFA/21), C. ROBINSON (UFA/22)
              M. CUNNINGHAM (R-R2/22), B. JAIMES (R5/21), T. KARRAS (UFA/22), V. LOWE (R-R7/22)

DEFENSE (25) -

DL = J. JONES (R3/18), S. JOSEPH-DAY (UFA/22), BJ HILL (UFA/22)
              J. RIDGEWAY (R-R4/22), C. DURDEN (R-R6/22), J. TILLERY (R1/19)

EDGE = J. BOSA (R1/16), R. GREGORY (UFA/22), B. MOFA (R-R3/22), C. RUMPH (R4/21)

ILB = K. MURRAY (R1/20), K. WHITE (R4/18), D. TRANQUILL (R4/19), N. NIEMANN (R6/21), A. OBONGBEMIGA (UDFA/21)

CB = C. DAVIS (UFA/22), A. SAMUEL (R2/21), M. DAVIS (UDFA/17), T. CAMPBELL (UDFA/20), C. BRYANT (R-R6/22)

DS = D. JAMES (D1/18), N. ADDERLEY (R2/19), A. GILMAN (R6/20), M. WEBB (R7/21), Z. MCCOLLUM (R-R5/22)
              Looks good, Ninja...just that I'm not all that high on bringing Kelley back...I'd rather dump both him and Rountree and find two more REAL RB's--one in the draft and one seasoned, proven FA...

Comment

• FoutsFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Birmingham AL
                • Send PM

This has been a good season so far even with some frustration. But anyone be fore the season started would be ecstatic being 5-3 and in fist at this point of the season. One thing is clear though, I need to see more Parham, I love the way he is developing and playing.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

In a nutshell? We exceeded many expectations of fans here, and they let their hopes balloon...and when injuries exposed some of our weaknesses, these same fans realized that one year wasn't enough to build a SB team, and the shit hit the fan...

Objectively? We took a big step in the right direction, and have an unbelievable asset to grow at QB....and I believe a pretty good coach going forward. Some of you all want to live in the past, and some past mistakes by TT, front office, etc....yesterdays boxscore, folks. Let's move on. The future looks bright. There are gonna be some dips in the road, but be patient. It's looking pretty good from where I'm sitting. Nuff' said.
                  Mock version 3.0-The "Double Mitchell"
                  (Assumes "fantasy" trade with Vikes)

11. Q. Mitchell CB
                  23. A. Mitchell WR
                  37. K. Jenkins DT
                  69. C. Beebe OG -105. C.Gray LB
                  110. R. Davis RB -140. J. Jones Slot CB
                  181. T. McLachlan TE -225. J. Jean-Baptiste Edge
                  253. K. Vidal RB

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                    The Precious
                    • May 2019
                    • Send PM

I know we looked bad in a couple games there but we are also winning games that we would lose for years and this is going to take some time. Huge upgrades on special teams and when was the last time we were in first place? I honestly don’t remember. When Staley and his staff zero in on something it generally gets better and that’s a good sign IMO.

Huge win yesterday IMO and I am thrilled to be 5-3.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post
                      But anyone be fore the season started would be ecstatic being 5-3 and in fist at this point of the season.
                      This so true. I remember people posting they would be happy being .500 at the halfway point. I think 5-3 is about as good as anyone expected before the season. After the season started and the Chargers beat the Chiefs, Raiders and Browns, expectations got raised (guilty) and people were disappointed in the two-game losing streak. But 5-3 is pretty darn good for a first year HC and 2nd year QB.

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post
                      One thing is clear though, I need to see more Parham, I love the way he is developing and playing.
                      I think we are going to see more of him, a lot more.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Birmingham AL
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                        This so true. I remember people posting they would be happy being .500 at the halfway point. I think 5-3 is about as good as anyone expected before the season. After the season started and the Chargers beat the Chiefs, Raiders and Browns, expectations got raised (guilty) and people were disappointed in the two-game losing streak. But 5-3 is pretty darn good for a first year HC and 2nd year QB.

I think we are going to see more of him, a lot more.

Slay looked like a little kid trying to tackle their dad on his TD catch.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍