Steelers @ Chargers Pregame Discussion (wk 11)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
    I guess this is the best case scenario. We’ll miss Tillery pass rush but not his inconsistency in the run game. Missing Joseph is the concern now.

agree. Really hope Linval finds a way to play

Comment

• Originally posted by Velo View Post

Darn, I forgot about Joseph being doubtful for this game. Maybe the defense won't be fully loaded as I had hoped. Tillery not playing is no big deal, but losing Joseph is going to put a lot of pressure on the interior DL. Justin Jones is going to need to have the game of his career. I didn't know they had re-signed Merrill to the PS. I just remember they had released him. I'm glad he is going to play. With the best player on the interior DL out, the strategy is going to have to be to have a number of DL available to rotate in and out to keep them fresh and strong. When the Chargers lost Jamal Williams for the season in 2009, Ron Rivera (the DC at the time) stocked up on DL. They were all journeymen and none of them were anything special, but they all got playing time each game, none of them took too many snaps and they didn't wear down. That worked out well, despite losing Jamal the defense held up and the Chargers won 13 games - 2nd best in franchise history - and had an 11-game win streak - longest in franchise history - to close out the season.
      It is true that the rotation worked pretty well for us in 2009, but the run defense was always a weakness that year. And Rivera did not deliberately go with a bunch of light boxes like Staley does.

Covington not playing is not such a big deal to me, but the potential loss of Joseph for this game could really hurt us. Without him, the possibility of Harris running for 150+ yards becomes very real. (BTW, the Steelers seem to have done very well with RBs named Harris.)

Comment

• Charge!
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Steelers are in the same boat as us.
        kind of...... but so was MIN, Balt, NE, DAL...... but each of those are coached by tough old vet coaches who know how to beat young, immature, undisciplined teams.....
        I've been hearing that the steelers coach is super focussed and really really wants/expects steelers to win this sunday...... he is going to have his players playing out of their minds....

Chargers will have to play mistake free football...... to have a shot at winning a close low scoring game.....

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Darn, I forgot about Joseph being doubtful for this game. Maybe the defense won't be fully loaded as I had hoped. Tillery not playing is no big deal, but losing Joseph is going to put a lot of pressure on the interior DL. Justin Jones is going to need to have the game of his career. I didn't know they had re-signed Merrill to the PS. I just remember they had released him. I'm glad he is going to play. With the best player on the interior DL out, the strategy is going to have to be to have a number of DL available to rotate in and out to keep them fresh and strong. When the Chargers lost Jamal Williams for the season in 2009, Ron Rivera (the DC at the time) stocked up on DL. They were all journeymen and none of them were anything special, but they all got playing time each game, none of them took too many snaps and they didn't wear down. That worked out well, despite losing Jamal the defense held up and the Chargers won 13 games - 2nd best in franchise history - and had an 11-game win streak - longest in franchise history - to close out the season.
          Saying Tillery not playing is not a big deal is like saying Justin Jones not playing is no big deal. Tillery is the best pass rush on the interior. This team has no pass rushers there now. Unless the guys brought up from the PS show otherwise.

Rotating the DL is actually something that BS needs to do better. He is playing the starters way too much. It's hurts more than it helps when you play DL players too many snaps.

Those teams in the late 2000s had good contributors on the DL. Jacques Cesaire was a good player on the DL back in those days. It's been a very big weakness of the team for a long time, and it's why the team has been lousy the last two years.

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

It is true that the rotation worked pretty well for us in 2009, but the run defense was always a weakness that year. And Rivera did not deliberately go with a bunch of light boxes like Staley does.

Covington not playing is not such a big deal to me, but the potential loss of Joseph for this game could really hurt us. Without him, the possibility of Harris running for 150+ yards becomes very real. (BTW, the Steelers seem to have done very well with RBs named Harris.)
          Covington is one of the better tacklers on the defense. He's also the only one besides Tillery who has pass rush ability in the middle.

In the time when Forrest Merrill played minutes for the team, I wasn't impressed with what I saw with him.

Staley only uses 5 DL players on gameday for the active 46. That could also be a problem. Using 6 would be more helpful.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Saying Tillery not playing is not a big deal is like saying Justin Jones not playing is no big deal. Tillery is the best pass rush on the interior. This team has no pass rushers there now. Unless the guys brought up from the PS show otherwise.

Rotating the DL is actually something that BS needs to do better. He is playing the starters way too much. It's hurts more than it helps when you play DL players too many snaps.

Those teams in the late 2000s had good contributors on the DL. Jacques Cesaire was a good player on the DL back in those days. It's been a very big weakness of the team for a long time, and it's why the team has been lousy the last two years.

Covington is one of the better tacklers on the defense. He's also the only one besides Tillery who has pass rush ability in the middle.

In the time when Forrest Merrill played minutes for the team, I wasn't impressed with what I saw with him.

Staley only uses 5 DL players on gameday for the active 46. That could also be a problem. Using 6 would be more helpful.
            Tillery has 2.5 sacks. He's an OK pass rusher, it's not an asset though.. I get what you are saying about not having anybody else able to pressure the QB up the middle. However, Tillery is a liability in run defense, and run defense is the biggest weakness this team has right now. So I don't feel that Tillery being out is a big loss.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Jones is way better than Tillery. Tillery sucks about 70% of the time, which more than offsets any positive contribution that he makes. If I could give back Tillery and his 2.5 sacks for a clone of Justin Jones, I would do that in a heartbeat.

Covington has a whopping one sack and is otherwise pretty meh.

Merrill is not very good either. He is good at defending the run when the play is run in his phone booth, but not much else.

Joseph and Jones are the only good interior DL players (3-4 NT and 3-4 DE) that we have.

The interior DL positions are the weakest positions we have on the entire roster in terms of lack of elite talent and lack of quality depth.
              Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2021, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2019
                • Utah
                • Midnight Toker
                • Send PM

We are who we are. Wake up Lombo... Make this offense Air Herbert! It feels controlled almost bottled up to me. Air it out. With Herbert you should be attempting 5-6 shots a game. Sleep good Charges fans. We getting W tomorrow.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Jones is way better than Tillery. Tillery sucks about 70% of the time, which more than offsets any positive contribution that he makes. If I could give back Tillery and his 2.5 sacks for a clone of Justin Jones, I would do that in a heartbeat.

Covington has a whopping one sack and is otherwise pretty meh.

Merrill is not very good either. He is good at defending the run when the play is run in his phone booth, but not much else.

Joseph and Jones are the only good interior DL players (3-4 NT and 3-4 DE) that we have.

The interior DL positions are the weakest positions we have on the entire roster in terms of lack of elite talent and lack of quality depth.
                  Going to be a tough game with so many players on the DLine missing. But the STeelers are missing TJ Watt, Joe Haden and possibly Minkah F. MY guess, the drop off of those players to the backups on the Steelers is more than the drop off of Covington and Tillery to Merrill and the other PS player.

Chargers offense is going to have to carry the team
                  Special Teams are going to have to play a good solid game
                  And Staley is going to have to scheme the hell out of the game plan. Whatever it takes -
                  I think this is a damn well must win

Comment

• RTPbolt
                    Charger Fan till the end
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Carolina
                    • Send PM

We need this W to stay in west hunt and not to take an afc loss the way the wildcard race is so muddled.

i hope Ben is rusty from lack of practice and being out sick. I will take any advsntage. I dont expect to have the mobile qb problems at least.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍