Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Ekeler's Career Season, so far

Old thread, but the only one I could find that is an Ekeler discussion. All the discussion among fans here and in the media at large is about Herbert, but let's not overlook Ekeler's accomplishments last night. On his last score, when he took the pass, I thought for sure he was going to be tackled short of the end zone. I still don't know how did it, to get into the end zone. Ekeler may be the Chargers best undrafted player besides Gates. I'm putting him above M80 and even Dielman at this point. Thoughts? Ranking him above Dielman might be objectionable, because Dielman was a Pro Bowler 4 consecutive years from 2007-10. Ekeler has never made the Pro Bowl. But the Chargers have had few players who can score 4 TDs a game like it's nothing. He has 13 total TDs after last night, making him tied with James Conner for 2nd in the league behind Jonathon Taylor, who has 15. I don't know what the team record is for TDs scored outside of LT's league record of 31 in 2006. LT scored 20 total TDs in 2005, so that may be the 2nd most in franchise history. I don't know if Ekeler will top that this season, but I think he is capable. He has 7 more games, he is currently averaging 1.3 TDs per game, if he continues at the pace he will have scored 22 times in 17 game.
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

That thread was from 2020. This needs a new thread.

Comment

• FoutsFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Birmingham AL
      • Send PM

He is something special for sure. The Chargers as nearly everyone here on this forum has said needs another good back to help alleviate some of the running pounding he takes. Hats off to TT and the Chargers scouting department for finding him. TT takes a lot of abuse here (rightly deserved too) but he gets credit for Ekler. It was great to see him shine on national TV last night. He appears to be a great person as well so, can't ask much more from him.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
        That thread was from 2020. This needs a new thread.
        Cool.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

I meant to also say about Ekeler in that he is really beginning to remind of LT with his nose for the end zone, for his refusal to be denied. Remember that about LT? That is why he has the league record for most TDs scored in a season. When the Chargers got inside the red zone, it was LT time because he was determined to score. Ekeler is not on LT's level as a runner obviously, but his ability to find the end zone when he gets the ball inside the 10 is uncanny, like LT was.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

I've posted this before, Eks is severely underpaid. Give the man a reworked and extended contract.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• bartman83642
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
              Old thread, but the only one I could find that is an Ekeler discussion. All the discussion among fans here and in the media at large is about Herbert, but let's not overlook Ekeler's accomplishments last night. On his last score, when he took the pass, I thought for sure he was going to be tackled short of the end zone. I still don't know how did it, to get into the end zone. Ekeler may be the Chargers best undrafted player besides Gates. I'm putting him above M80 and even Dielman at this point. Thoughts? Ranking him above Dielman might be objectionable, because Dielman was a Pro Bowler 4 consecutive years from 2007-10. Ekeler has never made the Pro Bowl. But the Chargers have had few players who can score 4 TDs a game like it's nothing. He has 13 total TDs after last night, making him tied with James Conner for 2nd in the league behind Jonathon Taylor, who has 15. I don't know what the team record is for TDs scored outside of LT's league record of 31 in 2006. LT scored 20 total TDs in 2005, so that may be the 2nd most in franchise history. I don't know if Ekeler will top that this season, but I think he is capable. He has 7 more games, he is currently averaging 1.3 TDs per game, if he continues at the pace he will have scored 22 times in 17 game.
              After LT's 31 and 20 years the next highest TD total for a Charger was Chuck Muncie with 19. That was all the way back in 1981.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

One more accolade for Ekeler. On the game-winning TD throw to Mike Williams. A blitzer off the left side has a free shot at Herbert, unblocked at the line. But Ekeler, who was lined up on the other side of Herbert runs in front of Herbert like he was shot out of a cannon and takes the blitzer's feet out from under him, and Herbert has enough time to make the throw.

Comment

• jubei
                  Vagabond Ninja
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

he just got an extension. now all he has to do is toss a couple of HB TDs. It seems Ekeler's vision, decisions, and elusiveness have gotten better, at least IME.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                    One more accolade for Ekeler. On the game-winning TD throw to Mike Williams. A blitzer off the left side has a free shot at Herbert, unblocked at the line. But Ekeler, who was lined up on the other side of Herbert runs in front of Herbert like he was shot out of a cannon and takes the blitzer's feet out from under him, and Herbert has enough time to make the throw.

https://streamable.com/lblxv2
                    That was a great block and accurate throw from Herbie. Well executed play! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Ekeler has spent a lot of this season blocking instead of spending time as a receiver. The coaches obviously felt confident enough with Pitt depleted pass rush to get Ekeler out into the patterns more, and it shows in the stat line.

While his stats as a runner are only somewhat better than normal, the OL looked a lot better vs Pitt, getting off the vs the run, and giving the RB a chance to get going, although the 4th down run was still pretty dreadful.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                        French Speaking Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Québec city
                        • Send PM

The #20 of PIT start to run on his left.
                        What did he see ?

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡