Film Study: The Good, The Bad and The Great (week11 vs PIT)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Film Study: The Good, The Bad and The Great (week11 vs PIT)

Welcome back Diehards. We got some sugar this week and boy was it sweet. I certainly didnt expect a victory after seeing PIT comeback and never would have predicted how we won. Still winning tastes great and i am hungry for more.

The Good:
    2nd quarter 5:30 on the clock, ball on 43yrd line
    Here we see our usual right side of the o-line breakdown when PIT brings 6. Herbert has his back to the def when they blitz and instead of sack shows his athleticism and scampers for big yardage. Notice MDub is getting open in the foot race late and this would have been one of those big shots we all ask for. Parham and Cook cannot block, would rather see Anderson and McKitty in there for this play.
    Also love the pump fake by Herb 11yrds past LOS with no receiver on that side of the field LOL.

The Ugly:
    4th quarter 12:40 on the clock, ball on 32yrd line
    Yeah this one bypasses BAD and straight into to the UGLY bin. Another speacial teams disaster that turned momentum of the game. Tranquill, Overton, Rumph, Nieman take your pick all missed blocks. Maybe oneday Chargers special teams wont be "speshul"

The Great:
    3rd quarter 12:00 on the clock, ball on 17yrd line
    Austin Ekeler you are awesome. Cant love this dude enough. PFP takes a simple pass in the flat, jukes the CB then jukes the Safety and drags the DE 4yrds into the Endzone. Props to Cook for his attempted block: it was just ernough.

Honorable Mentions:

Hon1
    Derwin doin Derwin things. He initially was fooled by the playaction but recovered and almost makes the big play turnover

Hon2
    Mdub with the huge game winning TD. If you preditcted this play i call you a liar or you havent watched Charger football the last 10years. It was truly magnificent play.

As always luv ya
    -Chillies
    Last edited by NoMoreChillies; 11-24-2021, 10:02 PM.
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Derwin’s play was good and could have been great if he had made the pick. Still waiting for that 10 games in.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Note that the CB (yellow) at one point had decent coverage of Mike Will, but broke off to help cover Slayer over the middle. Up to that point all our passes were short or short-midrange. Steelers hadn't seen anything thrown long up to this point. Safety (red) tries to cover Mike Will, but too late. Again, proves my point that long or mid-long passes are needed to be mixed in with the short stuff...

mike will td.JPG

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Can't say enough about Ekeler, the contact balance is elite and makes him hard to bring down. Locker room leader, incredible effort on and off the field. Hope he considers a coaching position when he's done playing.

Parham also is gaining confidence in his YAC ability.

James staying healthy has something to do with how Staley is positioning him imho.
        I'm glad he's not primarily being used as a simple thumper at Strong even though he's great there.
        Staley understands the value of having him threaten the deep pass and it helps keep him safe, something I've always thought would be wise and now feeling validated.

Lastly, I know Tillery is in TPB dog house but I still think he'll find consistency inside. Keeping the faith.
        .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
        .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
        .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
        .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
        .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
        .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
        .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
        .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
        .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          Note that the CB (yellow) at one point had decent coverage of Mike Will, but broke off to help cover Slayer over the middle. Up to that point all our passes were short or short-midrange. Steelers hadn't seen anything thrown long up to this point. Safety (red) tries to cover Mike Will, but too late. Again, proves my point that long or mid-long passes are needed to be mixed in with the short stuff...

mike will td.JPG
          It was a less than 20 yards pass, which is not uncommon in the 2021 Charger scheme and yes the Steelers had already seen a 15 yard pass. you guys and your bombs dreams … a bunch of mini Al Davises around here … too funny.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Xenos
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
            Welcome back Diehards. We got some sugar this week and boy was it sweet. I certainly didnt expect a victory after seeing PIT comeback and never would have predicted how we won. Still winning tastes great and i am hungry for more.

The Good:
            2nd quarter 5:30 on the clock, ball on 43yrd line
            Here we see our usual right side of the o-line breakdown when PIT brings 6. Herbert has his back to the def when they blitz and instead of sack shows his athleticism and scampers for big yardage. Notice MDub is getting open in the foot race late and this would have been one of those big shots we all ask for. Parham and Cook cannot block, would rather see Anderson and McKitty in there for this play.
            Also love the pump fake by Herb 11yrds past LOS with no receiver on that side of the field LOL.

The Ugly:
            4th quarter 12:40 on the clock, ball on 32yrd line
            Yeah this one bypasses BAD and straight into to the UGLY bin. Another speacial teams disaster that turned momentum of the game. Tranquill, Overton, Rumph, Nieman take your pick all missed blocks. Maybe oneday Chargers special teams wont be "speshul"

The Great:
            3rd quarter 12:00 on the clock, ball on 17yrd line
            Austin Ekeler you are awesome. Cant love this dude enough. PFP takes a simple pass in the flat, jukes the CB then jukes the Safety and drags the DE 4yrds into the Endzone. Props to Cook for his attempted block: it was just ernough.

Honorable Mentions:

Hon1
            Derwin doin Derwin things. He initially was fooled by the playaction but recovered and almost makes the big play turnover

Hon2
            Mdub with the huge game winning TD. If you preditcted this play i call you a liar or you havent watched Charger football the last 10years. It was truly magnificent play.

As always luv ya
            -Chillies
            Thanks for pointing out the fact that we do try to go vertical but still have problems doing so. It’s not like Lombardi goes out of his way to avoid them. It’s a personnel issue right now.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Ekeler's double-juke HB pass to the flat, reminded me of LT. Speaking of which, Ekeler joins LT as the only Charger players w/ 4 TD and a 100 yard game in the last 40 years.

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Fellow Bombs Away Boys, Coach Staley values 3rd down efficiency, that is his focus, not points.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Love the game film presentation and analysis, Chili. :thumbsup:

Comment

• foreigner
                    Tom Telesco is gone
                    • Sep 2013
                    • Send PM

What about the special teams ? is there a thread about that? I'd like to share my opinion of that....

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                      Outback Goon
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Australia
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
                      What about the special teams ? is there a thread about that? I'd like to share my opinion of that....
                      start one

I'll post some thoughts

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Blocked punts lead to losses,
                        almost every time. We cannot have that. Niemann ! Gaaaht !!

Herbert bailed us out again.

ST overall improvement must be a point of emphasis. Games are close and good ST is the difference between W's and L's.

Field position.
                        Coverage.
                        Big returns.
                        You don't know ball

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢