• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

Cam Cameron was hired by the Dolphins, went 1-15 in his first season (2007), and was fired.
    cam/wade both 3 years with the Chargers (before Miami / Dallas)
    Rivera (2 + as defensive coordinator - before carolina)
    Whiz ( 1 year before Tennesse? head coaching job)
    Lombo?

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

If Lombo goes we lose nothing. We still have same head coach. Shit...just promote Chase Daniels to OC.

:shifty:
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

credit for being a true critic, I doubt many other critics of JL feel the same way if they're honest with themselves.

I think Lombardi leaving would set us back significantly
        They'd be pretty much running the same offense.

It's not like Joe Gibbs is considering leaving.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Unless Lombardi is convinced he is never going to get another job, he should probably stay away from the Texans and Jags. Both teams have real issues with the front office. Not a good situation for a 1st time HC to go into.

I am not a fan of rehiring retread NFL guys, since mostly it is not that effective. However, this is a case where getting a retread who can fall back on a lot more experience would probably be well served.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

In a fire Lombo thread (kind of), I'm surprised there are not more eager voices for the Texans to hire Lombo.

I don't think it will matter much one way or the other for the Chargers.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Coryell went the way of Norv. Now it’s all about the Shanahan and Payton offensive scheme lol.
              A lot of Air Coryell elements have made their way into the various flavors of West Coast that are out there, including Payton and Shanahan's versions.

We have been a mostly West Coast team since McCoy and Whiz installed a hybrid varient of the Coryell and West Coast, and now are on to the Payton variant under Lombardi.

Comment

• Xenos
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Our offense was pretty loaded. Did you see anything particularly creative? What was our offensive identity?
                Our offensive identity is Herbert and the passing game, with the running game helping out occasionally. Similar to Mahomes, Allen, and Burrow.

You can obviously improve things, like the right side of OL and get more help in the running game to help Herbert. But honestly, at the end of the day, if you have numbers like the below, there’s very little to complain regarding offensive identity besides being #1 overall.

They finished fourth in offensive EPA/play, offensive DVOA (Football Outsiders’ efficiency metric), offensive success rate, points scored and red zone efficiency. They led the league in touchdowns per drive and were second in points per drive. They had the fifth-lowest three-and-out percentage in the league. They were second in down set conversion rate, which is the percentage of first downs converted into a new set of downs. Austin Ekeler scored 20 touchdowns. Mike Williams and Keenan Allen each went for more than 1,000 receiving yards.

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

A lot of Air Coryell elements have made their way into the various flavors of West Coast that are out there, including Payton and Shanahan's versions.
                  Of course. Just like Coryell had elements of previous offensive schemes but had its own identity. These two are different enough to be their scheme.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

credit for being a true critic, I doubt many other critics of JL feel the same way if they're honest with themselves.

I think Lombari leaving would set us back significantly
                    In what way? Creative use of bad right tackles! Run it up the gut with a stacked box for nada. Leaving Storm to fend for himself in key games against top tier defensive players?

:coffee:
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Of course. Just like Coryell had elements of previous offensive schemes but had its own identity. These two are different enough to be their scheme.
                      True, but my point is that originally, the Air Coryell had its strengths and the West Coast had different strengths. These days, they have gotten to be similar enough that there are West Coast teams that look almost like an Air Coryell and there were the last of the Air Coryell teams that looked very West Coast.

I think the individual personnel of the team is more of the deciding factor than anything else at this point. Both West Coast and Air Coryell are multiple offenses with so many different pieces and parts that it really isn't a part of the conversation anymore.

The biggest differences philosophically in offenses these days are the Shanahan version of the WCO where teams put a ton of window dressing on their run game, and go run 1st to set up the pass, and the NO/Payton version which uses the short game in place of a lot of the running game.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Texans are a horribly run franchise. Even they aren’t dumb enough to hire Lombardi
                        And to think you scoff at my posts...:coffee:
                        “Developing story: Deshaun Watson and Brian Flores have been in constant communication trying to navigate a scenario where they go to the same team, per sources. Watson “trusts and likes” Flores and has been adamant internally that he’d like to play for him next season. https://t.co/HhBScUy85m”
                        You don't know ball

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Hill should have been fired before Swinton
                          I'm not saying the D doesn't have some serious issues, but how much of that is going to change if we fire Hill?

Hill and Staley are running the D Staley brought with him from the Rams. Staley is calling the plays. Staley has his way of teaching the concepts over assignments that he is implementing.

If you fire Hill, how much of that change? None as far as I can tell. Staley is still going to be the HC and he is going to do it his way. Firing Hill makes him a scapegoat, and not even a particularly attractive-looking scapegoat at that.

I'm not disagreeing things need to change on D, but Hill is not the guy driving the change, it's Staley, so he's the guy who would need to go.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍