• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

And you make a good point - maybe more than coaching they just need better players. But, if you can get Fangio AND better players... that would be nice, real nice
    We do need better players. But when I read Staley’s post mortem on the Chargers defense and he talks about the complexity of his schemes I am troubled. He says the Covid issues and injuries made it difficult for all 11 to implement the schemes. But that is life in the NFL. You’re never going to have all your guys. And even when he had them they didn’t deliver. So either this guys concepts are too difficult for normal NFL players to grasp or are players just suck. He’s leaning towards the we suck and need personnel narrative. He should look at his “concepts” as well. That’s why I would prefer he bring in an experienced guy who shares his philosophy but can either teach it better or tweak it so it works better.

Comment

• Boltgang74
      We Are The Storm!
      • Aug 2018
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

We do need better players. But when I read Staley’s post mortem on the Chargers defense and he talks about the complexity of his schemes I am troubled. He says the Covid issues and injuries made it difficult for all 11 to implement the schemes. But that is life in the NFL. You’re never going to have all your guys. And even when he had them they didn’t deliver. So either this guys concepts are too difficult for normal NFL players to grasp or are players just suck. He’s leaning towards the we suck and need personnel narrative. He should look at his “concepts” as well. That’s why I would prefer he bring in an experienced guy who shares his philosophy but can either teach it better or tweak it so it works better.
      It was his very first year here and as a HC.It wasnt too complex for the Lambs to digest Staley's schemes and be the best defense in the whole league last year.Maybe TT's guys just dont have it between the ears?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

I see it as being much simpler.
        Who at DL should we retain ?
        The list is very short.
        LAC need #1 is several 1.5 Gappers who can find the football.
        It does not mean that this is the first thing we address.
        BPA, impact must be factored in.

The problem is not the concepts,
        but the personnel IMV.
        Last year, the focus, in several ways, was Oline.
        This year, it's Dline.
        In the draft alone, there are 270# 3Techs to 370# OTechs.
        You don't know ball

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Staley floated out there at his press conference the idea that some defenses require 3 - 4 years to coalesce. Patience!
          Norv Turner would strongly approve of that message.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

And you make a good point - maybe more than coaching they just need better players. But, if you can get Fangio AND better players... that would be nice, real nice
            True but I'm not going to hold my breath in Fangio coming here. It would be great but if there is any chance, they have to figure it out with Hill.
            I'll assume it's a no but would like to be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

It's the players. CHJ has sucked, Campbell, Covington, Tillery early on, Nwosu came on later, still not sold in Tranquill but he was better than Murray, Mine Davis took time to come around, Asaunte was injured often.

Need to bolster the DL as he said with an edge and a couple DTs, need a CB and another LB and better depth.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

It's the players. CHJ has sucked, Campbell, Covington, Tillery early on, Nwosu came on later, still not sold in Tranquill but he was better than Murray, Mine Davis took time to come around, Asaunte was injured often.

Need to bolster the DL as he said with an edge and a couple DTs, need a CB and another LB and better depth.
                Exactamundo.
                I do know how anyone can look at our defensive personnel,
                and say the problem is scheme.
                The off season moves will speak for themselves.
                With so many unsigned Charger defenders,
                Staley will not be literal on this...player agents.
                You don't know ball

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

While it would be nice to have Fangio as DC, this is Staley’s defense. Firing Hill would just make him a scapegoat IMO. Of course, I didn’t expect him to fire Swinton either, but ST isn’t Staley’s specialty

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

No one held a gun to their head to keep CHJ on their squad.
                    If pickings at corner were so desperate, why not pick one at the tail end of the 3rd round? They had their selection of them.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Staley floated out there at his press conference the idea that some defenses require 3 - 4 years to coalesce. Patience!
                      Norv Turner would strongly approve of that message.
                      Exactly. Is that what you want? The Norv Turner of defense? I dont

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Well, a lot of this is on player evaluation then. Heyward had a much better season than CHJ. Philon was better for the Raiders than anyone we had on the IDL. Fackrell was meh would have been better to have a healthy Ingram who brings intangibles to a defense that we didn’t have. There are others….

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                          While it would be nice to have Fangio as DC, this is Staley’s defense. Firing Hill would just make him a scapegoat IMO. Of course, I didn’t expect him to fire Swinton either, but ST isn’t Staley’s specialty
                          we were right there with the worst defenses in the league. Somebody needs to get fired besides the players

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍