• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Coaches I Am Glad We Did Not Choose

Remember back at the end of last season, well during playoffs, so end of our season, when everyone was talking about the favorites for the Chargers HC opening? Staley was never seriously mentioned, if he was mentioned at all. But here are some guys who were and who a lot of us on the board wanted.

1. Urban Meyer. I admit he was my pick. I also admit how terribly wrong I was and how right those here who said his game would never translate to the nfl were. Wow what a train wreck he has been, on and off the field. Might be fired in the offseason. After one season.
    2. Joe Brady. The young offensive genius, much like Staley was the young defensive genius. He got fired mid season two weeks ago. Didn’t even last 2 seasons as an NFL OC.
    3. Eric Bienemy. The tenured OC that no one wants for their HC, even his alma mata turned him away. And now the Chiefs offense has taken a tumble and he and Mahomes are yelling at each other on the sidelines.
    4. Brian Daboll. So many here wanted Brian Daboll. The Bills look wildly inconsistent week to week and Allen has struggled at times too much for a player of his caliber and talent. The Bills have lost 4 of their last 5 and lost to the Jaguars (see item 1 above for how bad they had to be to do that). This may be the most talented and complete team yet they are in danger of not making the playoffs and most certainly won’t win their division.
    5. Jason Garrett. Did anyone ever really want him? He got weird with the media then got fired. I think the Raiders will hire him for either the HC or OC job after the season. Otherwise he is done.
    6. Josh “Joshy” McDaniels. Again not sure anyone really thought he was an option. I figured he was done since the Patriot offense tanked when Brady left. But now with Mac Jones, who I just might hate even more than Brady, has looked tremendous and that team is completely rebuilt and humming. McDaniel may be a target of Minnesota and some other teams in the off season.

Boy oh boy am I glad Telesco and Spanos picked Staley. We should all consider ourselves super lucky and be grateful for them. Just like I wanted Tua and they went with Herbert.

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

agree
    i wanted Urban, so i was wrong there

Comment

• FoutsFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Birmingham AL
      • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
      agree
      i wanted Urban, so i was wrong there
      Second that. I am very happily wrong there. Meyer would have been a train wreck here.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

A lot of people here wanted Brian Daboll. I didn't see what the special deal with him was.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

At some point I'm getting a Staley jersey
          number 4 of course
          .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
          .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
          .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
          .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
          .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
          .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
          .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
          .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
          .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• Rugger05
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Sadly I was on the Urban bandwagon as well. I thought they would go for the "splash" hire. After the Jags hired him I thought it was be Dabol. I could not be happier with Staley. I believe the franchise is on a upward trend and I haven't been able to say that in a long time.

Comment

• foreigner
              Tom Telesco is gone
              • Sep 2013
              • Send PM

Well... happy we have Staley... but he still has a lot of work to do with that "almost meltdown" from yesterday....

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
                Well... happy we have Staley... but he still has a lot of work to do with that "almost meltdown" from yesterday....
                What do you mean almost meltdown? That would mean that they were in threat of losing that game.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I was leaning Daboll, of the ones touted by the media as 'available'. I still think he will be a candidate for HC somewhere, but yeah, the Bills offense has taken a step back. I think he would have been a big improvement over Lynn but you never know with a first time HC.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

I was intrigued by Urban Meyer too, but I didn't think it would happen. I didn't have a strong opinion, but most of the chatter was about Dabol, and I thought he was going to the man. I heard a little about Staley, but he had so little experience I didn't take him seriously. I thought the second most likely candidate was Joe Brady, just because there was a lot of chatter, but I didn't really see how being OC of the Panthers made him an attractive candidate. I was surprised as heck when they hired Staley.

Now,who is going to be the Raiders next coach? It's not going to be Bisaccia. I think (sleeping with) Bieniemy is a real possibility. He certainly would have the best insight on how to defense the Chiefs' triplets.

Comment

• AK47
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2019
                      • Send PM

1. Urban Meyer. Imagine drafting the Ryan Leaf of HC's. Imagine Meyer yelling at Herbert. No not for poor play on the football field. Rather because Herbert got the phone number of a chick Meyer was grinding on at the club.

3. Eric Bienemy. Hiring Bienemy is like buying rims from a Ferrari owner and putting it on your Honda Civic. The Ferrari owner goes out and buys a new set of wheels. You on the other hand still drive a freakin' Honda Civic.

5. Jason Garrett. Garrett is literally to Norv what Bellicheat was to Parcels.

6. Josh McDaniels. Bill Bellicheat found his missing nuddie magazines under Josh's mattress. Bill grounds Josh from play calling duties for 1 game. Team throws 3 passes and still wins a divisional game.

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

I'm another that thought Urban was a good choice. I'm always opposed to signing first year coaches but it looks like we hit on a good one this time.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡