Film Study: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (week14 vs NYG)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Film Study: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (week14 vs NYG)

G'day G'day fellow diehards. Been riding this high for couple days now and wish it couls last longer.
    The NYG became the feel good game for the Chargers. It was the game where it all clicked and confidence was built. Even tho we missed some starters, i saw plays and formations that i had not seen this season.

The Good:
    2nd quarter 12:13 on the clock ball on 12yrd line
    Josh Palmer runs a sneaky short out route and shows remarkable quickness and separation as well as a nose for the end zone. I reckon if he was wearing #13 i wouldnt have blinked, very similar route style. Notice Herberts eyes stay middle locking in the coverage before spinning it out wide while standing in a clean pocket.
    Superb execution

The Bad:
    2nd quarter 2:04 on the clock ball on 4yrd line
    It was hard to find a bad play this week. I didnt want to showcase a backup making a mistake with his limited action so i reverted back the ole "hate seeing a Charger get smashed" play
    Poor Ek. Dude is a legend but his body cannot take this punishment on the regular. I think i understand the blocking scheme here, but dont like the deisgn on the 4yrd line. Would prefer simplified blocking and just get some room. Anyhow: Linsley is bumped off course and missed the LB. Fieler slides right to pickup DT and McKitty slides inside to pickup DT. Since the LB is free Ek gets punished. I would prefer Mckitty blocking a LB than DT and Linsley + Fieler just take the man infront of them

The Great:
    3rd quarter 0:31 on the clock ball on 48yrd line
    4th down and time for Chargers D to step up. Step up they did indeed. Bosa gets there so fast the short hook route didnt even develop. Bosa makes it look so easy
    *Note: i could have chosen the big TD bomb for great play, but i am putting that in the playcalling thread as its more relevant to that discussion

Honorable Mentions:

Hon1
    Look at the ground Adderly covers to become the ball hawk. Its happening right before our eyes. He getting good and look for more of this to occur.

Hon2
    Palmer in motion. Double Double team blocks inside with Slater passsing off to pickup LB and Palmer leads the way blocking the CB. I have not seen this formation or run play before. I like it

Well there we go, feel good fellwo diehards. Chargers had their blowout win

As always
    Luv ya
    -Chillies
  • Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

Thank you !
    I always appreciate your film study.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
      2nd quarter 12:13 on the clock ball on 12yrd line
      Josh Palmer runs a sneaky short out route and shows remarkable quickness and separation as well as a nose for the end zone. I reckon if he was wearing #13 i wouldnt have blinked, very similar route style. Notice Herberts eyes stay middle locking in the coverage before spinning it out wide while standing in a clean pocket.
      Herbert really helped Palmer run that route, by keeping his eyes elsewhere while Palmer worked the DB to get free for the TD.

What about that other long pass to Palmer that Herbert threw from the opposite side of the field? I think that is the most impressive play Palmer has made so far - it's the play that showed me he is ready to play in the NFL.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
        Outback Goon
        • Sep 2018
        • Australia
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Herbert really helped Palmer run that route, by keeping his eyes elsewhere while Palmer worked the DB to get free for the TD.

What about that other long pass to Palmer that Herbert threw from the opposite side of the field? I think that is the most impressive play Palmer has made so far - it's the play that showed me he is ready to play in the NFL.
        Yeah that play was good too. Palmer got good separation and made leaping catch at the high point.

Comment

Working...
        X