• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Next Season I would like the Chargers to get either in the draft or FA a RT, resign Aboushi. Then put a hell of a lot into D line and DB. Between White and Tranquil I am OK with out LB ahead of the D line and DB situation.
    I think DB and edge moved ahead of DT, personally. DT improvement would more effectively shut down the rush, but we’re losing by the pass. CHJ is done, a team needs at 4 quality cover guys in 2021 NFL imo. We have 2 when Asante can play. Edge is a multiplier … get to the QB faster and all DBs can play tighter and appear to be better
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Orlando "I'm a Left Tackle" Brown? Doesn't seem like a fit here...the rest? Maybe...but I am of a mind, as far as very general strategy, to further bolster oline quality and depth through free agency...give Herbie a reliable, seasoned line, and continue to develop some youngins behind vets (Slater the exception, of course...) Thorough protection and a viable run game thru the oline...and then draft BPA with an emphasis on defense...maybe a RB early....but it's early....my views may change in the offseason. But however decent Pip, Storm, and Scho did in the last game...I wouldn't ink them in...I would look to do better. They should all be backups...they are backups for all that...need to make sure, coming out of camp, that they resume those roles, if they are still here, because we have added players (or some have gotten healthy like aboushi) that are better.
      If they drafted another Slater, they would have bookends for most of Herbie’s career. FA the interior where quality journeymen are a LOT cheaper and there’s money left over for the defense, or maybe … gasp … a real running back?
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

I think a big part of Brown's thing is he wants a Left Tackle paycheck.

I would be a little suprised if any OT with a 1st round grade is still on the board when we pick. While it is always a nice idea to draft another guy like Slater, they don't come around very often, and certainly not in the 20's, which is our current draft position. It was nice that it happened this year, but it won't happen again next year. If they do start, they are probably going to take half a season or more to get up to speed. Probably a couple of years before they are playing at the level Slater is playing at now.

Comment

• Xenos
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          I think a big part of Brown's thing is he wants a Left Tackle paycheck.

I would be a little suprised if any OT with a 1st round grade is still on the board when we pick. While it is always a nice idea to draft another guy like Slater, they don't come around very often, and certainly not in the 20's, which is our current draft position. It was nice that it happened this year, but it won't happen again next year. If they do start, they are probably going to take half a season or more to get up to speed. Probably a couple of years before they are playing at the level Slater is playing at now.
          I know that these days an RT is almost as valuable as a LT, but I still think we can get one in the late first round if that’s the direction we want to go. Heck Brown was a third round pick.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Brown fell a long way in the draft that year. During the year, a lot of people felt he was the best OT in that years draft. Then, his poor run blocking got highlighted and his poor physical conditioning. He followed it up with a terrible combine.

If you go through, year by year, there are not a lot of draft picks who start and play at a high level who are not 1st round picks. There are some, but not a lot. And they can come in almost every round, but again, the further down you go, the less likely it is to find a quality player.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
              Pretty much retired......
              • Sep 2018
              • JoJa
              • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
              • Send PM

Thoughts?????.......that loss will piss me off for years...........

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I think DB and edge moved ahead of DT, personally. DT improvement would more effectively shut down the rush, but we’re losing by the pass. CHJ is done, a team needs at 4 quality cover guys in 2021 NFL imo. We have 2 when Asante can play. Edge is a multiplier … get to the QB faster and all DBs can play tighter and appear to be better
                A DT who can apply better pressure up the middle on Mahomes would be gold. Where can you find one?

The problem with edge is that the Chiefs were in max protect or chipping both the edges the final 3 drives.

I had an issue with the Charger D coverage schemes: they seemed to be disinterested in Kelce & Hill, both just seeming to run free in the secondary.
                Maybe the Chargers were rolling everthing towards Hardmon.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

The problem with the end of the game was the Charger edge players, mostly Bosa, kept letting Mahomes break out to his right. That is where almost every spectacular Mahomes play comes from. Staley even talked about prior to the game. But the defense was gassed and did the best they could. Also down most of the secondary, which the announcers did not talk about. They did lament HIll missing two plays in overtime though.

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Brown fell a long way in the draft that year. During the year, a lot of people felt he was the best OT in that years draft. Then, his poor run blocking got highlighted and his poor physical conditioning. He followed it up with a terrible combine.

If you go through, year by year, there are not a lot of draft picks who start and play at a high level who are not 1st round picks. There are some, but not a lot. And they can come in almost every round, but again, the further down you go, the less likely it is to find a quality player.
                    Steve, I have been hearing that Brown is not a terrible LT, but rather he is a terrible LT in the Chiefs offense. Whereas he was good to very good as a LT in the Ravens run first offense. If this is true, wouldn’t he also be a terrible RT in a non-Ravens style offense like ours that passes all the time?
                    What’s your take on that?

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Steve, I have been hearing that Brown is not a terrible LT, but rather he is a terrible LT in the Chiefs offense. Whereas he was good to very good as a LT in the Ravens run first offense. If this is true, wouldn’t he also be a terrible RT in a non-Ravens style offense like ours that passes all the time?
                      What’s your take on that?

TG
                      That is how I look at it. Baltimore helps their OL look like great in pass protection, but in large they are in Balitmore because they are NOT good pass blockers.

I think he is a better OT than some people give him credit. But he is a Mike Williams syle player. A good player, but probably in a position to get elite money (overpaid).

I just think KC is NOT in a position to very easily replace Brown if they lose him. There are some LT out there, but they all have some sort of wart, which is why they are available. Brown has been up and down all year, which is not what you want to see when the player is looking for big money. Even with his inconsistent play, I would expect he gets something like $15 mill per year, with a chance of getting a lot more if someone thinks he really can play OT at a high level (it only takes one semi-dillusional team how had a pipkin like performance to do that).

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

The team has plenty of edge rushers; Bosa, Nwosu, Rumph, and Fackrell. Players at the position who can get to the QB. Edge isn't a problem. Chargers need another pass rusher at DT. Tillery is the only good pass rusher on the interior, and he gets hated on. Not enough pass rush at DT is one of the reasons the defense has struggled in recent years. They need more than one guy. As for shutting down the run, getting better run stopping linebackers will help too.

Yeah the team does need 3-4 good cover guys. Whether at corner or safety. But they won't be easy to get. The good ones in FA will demand a lot of money. The ones who get drafted will require you to take time on them depending on the player.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

The team has plenty of edge rushers; Bosa, Nwosu, Rumph, and Fackrell. Players at the position who can get to the QB. Edge isn't a problem. Chargers need another pass rusher at DT. Tillery is the only good pass rusher on the interior, and he gets hated on. Not enough pass rush at DT is one of the reasons the defense has struggled in recent years. They need more than one guy. As for shutting down the run, getting better run stopping linebackers will help too.

Yeah the team does need 3-4 good cover guys. Whether at corner or safety. But they won't be easy to get. The good ones in FA will demand a lot of money. The ones who get drafted will require you to take time on them depending on the player.
                          Fackrell hasn't done anything all year. Nwosu had a glacially slow start, and has only been playing well the last few weeks. Jury is still out on Rumph. Bosa is the only one who has had any consistency or even noteworthy ability. Part of the reason I would like some help outside, which is far easier to find, is to slide Bosa around, and let him rush inside some. But that only works if you have other edge rushers to make up the slack and right now we just don't have anyone to do that. Factor in the concussions, I think edge is a need.

I agree with the interior. Jones has shown some pass rush, and Joesph actually pushes the pocket reasonably well for such a big guy, but you will never get many snaps out of him. Either Jones needs to develop some consistency or we need more inside push. Tillery is a really bad run defender much of the time. It is not an ability thing, because every once in a while, he puts together a textbook rep and makes a nice play. But too many times you see him run himself out of the play. We need some inside rush, although some of it can be edge players lining up inside in obvious passing situations.

The LB are a mixed bag. Tranquill and White did a good job against the KC run, but got exposed late in the game in coverage. I would like to see us get more depth in the secondary and then be able to get one of them, preferably Tranquill off the field on 3rd and long. To be a good LB, you need to be good as a run stuffer and pass defender, and the compromises there make it really hard to have an impact.

As far as how many good DB you need, it is actually at least 5, and 6 would be better. This myth about playing the 34 or 43 has been bullshit for the last 40 years. NFL teams are 425 teams. 2 edge rushers, 2 DT, 2 LB, and 5 DB. Look across the board, the only teams that don't play nickel or dime the vast majority of the time can't find enough good DB. So, we need our 5 STARTING DB to be guys on the field. 6 would be better since the run-down, early-down guys can be role players (like NT).

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍