• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
    Oday got a new knee and to clarify, Matt Feiler got the new three year contract, and Oday got the one year deal, so let Oday pursue other opportunities and move to solidifying the RG in the 2022 draft. Seems cold, but Oday will not want for work for long.

Completely rebuild the RG/RT position with (R)RG Zion Johnson and (R) Max Mitchell backing up Trey Pipkens at RT.

Last order of business on the offensive line, call Mark Davis and give a him RAVE recommendation of RT Bryan Bulaga.
    At the price he signed last year, why not bring him back too and test him out. Whats the alternatives on the bench - Schofellover or KalamataOliveGuy?
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Both Sportstrac and Over the Cap do some regressions to try and determine a player's value in general. It's not clear to me that this has anything to do with what teams are doing to price players, so now that they post it publicly we can watch, but who knows how accurate it is.

I may be wrong, but it looks like OTC has Storm at $5.7 mill per season (average). However, they have as an ERFA, meaning we can bring him back at league minimum, and he has no choice, if he wants to play, it has to be for us, unless someone wants to trade for him.

As far as OTC, they don't have an evaluation for him. It may be because they have him listed as an RFA, meaning we have to give him a tender. The 1st round tender is projected to be $5.562 mill. 2nd round is $3.986 mill, and right of 1st refusal is $2.433 mill.

So, under the new CBA, a ERF is a player with 2 years or less experience. Norton was on the Lions/Arizona/Minn in 2017 and Minn 2018. He only played in 1 game in 2017 to 2018. But if he was on the roster for at least 6 games, that counts (he doesn't even have to be active). The two season he has been with us definitely count towards FA, but it all comes down to what his roster status was in those 1st two seasons (2017 and 2018).

Looking at Pro Football Reference, it looks like he was mostly on the practice squad. He seems to have been activated for from Sept 9th to 11th in 2017 for the Lions, but didn't get into a game. Then was active from Oct 27th to Nov 3rd for Minn and got into a game, but was cut on the 3rd and then went back on the PS. (https://www.pro-football-reference.c...N/NortSt00.htm). Based on this, it means he only has 2 years aexpereince, making him an ERFA.

Reading that it reads like he is indeed a ERFA, so he will be coming back at league minimum, so he would get $965k, and be an RFA next season. The contract amounts would go up a little bit, provided the cap increases.
      Last edited by Steve; 01-07-2022, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Both Sportstrac and Over the Cap do some regressions to try and determine a player's value in general. It's not clear to me that this has anything to do with what teams are doing to price players, so now that they post it publicly we can watch, but who knows how accurate it is.

I may be wrong, but it looks like OTC has Storm at $5.7 mill per season (average). However, they have as an ERFA, meaning we can bring him back at league minimum, and he has no choice, if he wants to play, it has to be for us, unless someone wants to trade for him.

As far as OTC, they don't have an evaluation for him. It may be because they have him listed as an RFA, meaning we have to give him a tender. The 1st round tender is projected to be $5.562 mill. 2nd round is $3.986 mill, and right of 1st refusal is $2.433 mill.

So, under the new CBA, a ERF is a player with 2 years or less experience. Norton was on the Lions/Arizona/Minn in 2017 and Minn 2018. He only played in 1 game in 2017 to 2018. But if he was on the roster for at least 6 games, that counts (he doesn't even have to be active). The two season he has been with us definitely count towards FA, but it all comes down to what his roster status was in those 1st two seasons (2017 and 2018).

Looking at Pro Football Reference, it looks like he was mostly on the practice squad. He seems to have been activated for from Sept 9th to 11th in 2017 for the Lions, but didn't get into a game. Then was active from Oct 27th to Nov 3rd for Minn and got into a game, but was cut on the 3rd and then went back on the PS. (https://www.pro-football-reference.c...N/NortSt00.htm). Based on this, it means he only has 2 years aexpereince, making him an ERFA.

Reading that it reads like he is indeed a ERFA, so he will be coming back at league minimum, so he would get $965k, and be an RFA next season. The contract amounts would go up a little bit, provided the cap increases.
        Wow, how things have changed...earlier this year, a lot of us wanted to fire Norton...now, the dude is just about on the verge of being the $6 Million Dollar Man...

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

At the price he signed last year, why not bring him back too and test him out. Whats the alternatives on the bench - Schofellover or KalamataOliveGuy?
          Mock 10.0.png

As to your point on Oday: when you consider addressing the right side of the line with Pipkens, penciled in at starter, and then the Chargers first pick and their 5th Round pick addressing the needs at RG & RT, those concerns are addressed. I'm not saying this is the only way but only a possible path.

To echo earlier points, Oday was killing it prior to going down. I just believe the organization should move on and rebuild the right side of the offensive line - because I give the front office an A+ for the pro-active moves to land Slater, Feiler, & Linsley in 2021 - and want them to move equally aggressive on the talent listed above in 2022.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Wow, how things have changed...earlier this year, a lot of us wanted to fire Norton...now, the dude is just about on the verge of being the $6 Million Dollar Man...
            True ....

I do think it is a go thing to have him as an ERFA for a year. Norton kind of gets screwed, he is going to make a lot less money than he is worth. However, I would prefer to see him sustain his performance before I give him a 1st or 2nd round tender. If he can play like he did vs KC or Cleveland, that puts him among the better OT in the league (certainly among RT). But right now, it is hard to forget the games like Dallas and Baltimore, where he looked like a backup.

Based on watching his technique, I think he is really improving, but he (and Pipkins) need to keep it up. IF both have really improved, we may not have the chance to keep both. But both would be able to have long careers in the NFL, and hopefully give the Chargers a chance to add a quality pick down the road.

But both need to show a some consistency before either of those things can happen.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

True ....

I do think it is a go thing to have him as an ERFA for a year. Norton kind of gets screwed, he is going to make a lot less money than he is worth. However, I would prefer to see him sustain his performance before I give him a 1st or 2nd round tender. If he can play like he did vs KC or Cleveland, that puts him among the better OT in the league (certainly among RT). But right now, it is hard to forget the games like Dallas and Baltimore, where he looked like a backup.

Based on watching his technique, I think he is really improving, but he (and Pipkins) need to keep it up. IF both have really improved, we may not have the chance to keep both. But both would be able to have long careers in the NFL, and hopefully give the Chargers a chance to add a quality pick down the road.

But both need to show a some consistency before either of those things can happen.
              Good points, there Steve...yep...don't want to throw megabank at Norton, based on a few good games...don't need a repeat of the Lazy Gaither fiasco...

Comment

Working...
              X