Hire New DC and Replace Hill? (was Vic Fangio, Wink Martindale)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
    If the current DC isn't gone by now after 2 weeks,.
    ^This. Nothing is changing on the staff, unless Lombardi somehow gets a HC job. He isn't getting fired. Hill isn't getting replaced. TT isn't getting fired.

Comment

• SDBORN
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

^This. Nothing is changing on the staff, unless Lombardi somehow gets a HC job. He isn't getting fired. Hill isn't getting replaced. TT isn't getting fired.
      so more mediocrity... nice...

So our only saving Grace is if Stayley influences TT to pick up some really good defensive talent in the offseason.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

so more mediocrity... nice...

So our only saving Grace is if Stayley influences TT to pick up some really good defensive talent in the offseason.
        Staley and TT concentrated on the O and building around Herbert and that worked. Clearly they both overestimated what we had on D. They will concentrate on the D this offseason and I expect substantial improvement there as well. We should be a solid playoff team next year.

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Staley and TT concentrated on the O and building around Herbert and that worked. Clearly they both overestimated what we had on D. They will concentrate on the D this offseason and I expect substantial improvement there as well. We should be a solid playoff team next year.
          With one of the worst defenses we've ever had I don't care what Staley believes that he can easily improve the defense. You need someone who can do things on the fly and make real time adjustments during the game. The Yes man routine failed miserably and like I've said if we had just an average offense we would have been a 4-13 team instead of a 9-8 team. If that doesn't cause you sleepless nights then Staley is delusional. People that know their shit and develop the talent can adapt to your instructions and system somewhat. Coaching talent is coaching talent!

:2cents:
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Xenos
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

And I agree with your take. Shocked that they let him go. Love the style he coaches
            They let him go because he didn’t do well without reliable corners to cover for his blitzes. And he kept calling man coverage for whatever reason. Here’s a nice breakdown from a Ravens fan:
            Everyone is going to be shocked by this, but Ravens fans certainly aren't. Wink was very aggressive in his style (lots of blitzing), but that style was HEAVILY masked with the quality of CB's we had on the field (Marlon and Marcus Peters). Once we lost any bit of that depth, things fell apart quickly.

Furthermore, he was unable to develop or scheme any sort of edge pressure. We watched Yannick Ngakoue come to this team and be put into a role that didn't fit his play style and his production completely fell off. Then, miraculously, he goes to OAK and goes right back to what he was doing previously in JAX and MIN and even mentioned publicly that Wink's scheme didn't fit him and they didn't use him properly.

We also watched Matt Judon go from "meh" to a really productive pass rusher this year, same thing with Za'Darius Smith when he left. Wink's inability to play a scheme to maximize quality edge rush talent AND the fact that our defense allowed I think the most big plays (40+) this year are what did him in ultimately.

So I am happy they mutually parted ways and we're going in a new direction there. Change was definitely needed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xenos View Post

They let him go because he didn’t do well without reliable corners to cover for his blitzes. And he kept calling man coverage for whatever reason. Here’s a nice breakdown from a Ravens fan:
              When his players were healthy (2018-2020), his defense ranked as follows in yards allowed and points allowed:

2018--yards allowed (1st), points allowed (2nd)
              2019--yards allowed (3rd), points allowed (3rd)
              2020--yards allowed (7th), points allowed (2nd)

When was the last time that our defense was 7th or better in both yards and points allowed in a single season, much less in three seasons in a row? The answer is 1992.

We also managed to accomplish that result in both 1977 and 1979.

So, we managed the feat three times in our team's entire post-merger history. Martindale managed it in his first three seasons with the Ravens as DC.

Comment

• Classic
                Hall Of Fame
                • Dec 2014
                • Send PM

Vic Fangio has been fired for several weeks now and the Chargers haven't reached out to him. If that doesn't tell you how much this team doesn't care about fixing this defense then nothing will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Classic View Post
                  Vic Fangio has been fired for several weeks now and the Chargers haven't reached out to him. If that doesn't tell you how much this team doesn't care about fixing this defense then nothing will.
                  I do not think not reaching out to Fangio means anything. Fangio is kind of abrasive and may not be a good fit in terms of there being a role reversal with Staley outranking Fangio instead of the other way around.

And while I think Martindale is a great DC, his approach is very different than Staley's and Staley wants to call the defensive plays. I prefer Martindale's approach by far to Staley's and also believe that it would be for the best for our team, but I agree with others that it will never happen with the current defensive philosophy rooted in place.

Comment

• Xenos
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post
                    It just means they’re not looking for a new playcaller, and believe the issue is roster related.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

I’m sure Wink Martindale is a game show host. Pretty sure … and Spani won’t hire a game show host because they are more for the clown show varietal.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post
                        What data do you have that says the Chargers have not contacted Fangio?

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

If I was Fangio, I wouldn't make a decision yet no matter who was making the offer. He is going to be in demand. So, why not wait until you see all the offers? This isn't going to be a money thing (Denver will be paying him more than a new employer will be), but is probably going to be about how much control he gets.

That being said, I don't think Staley is going to ask Fangio to come in and be the DC.

Comment

Working...
                          X