Hire New DC and Replace Hill? (was Vic Fangio, Wink Martindale)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boldarblood
    Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I am ok with bringing in Vic Fangio, but I would not necessarily have him replace Renaldo Hill. I would bring Fangio in as a Defensive Consultant and possible Assistant HC or to HC. I would imagine that Fangio could possibly want another HC shot down next season or two, possibly 1 and done?

Hill being able to pick the brain of 2 of the brighter Defensive minds could make him be much more competent.

Switching to Staley officially started a rebuild from the Lynn era. Have to deal with the natural attrition of players from the new schemes, new needs. They did a good job on ST and Offense so far. I expect to see that same love on the Defensive side.

Telesco definitely has a questionable past on quality, no need to go over that dead horse again. But would throw in a wrinkle, was the problem Telesco, just luck of the draft, Lynn and his staff not developing players well. somewhere in middle.

The reason I ask is with the marked increase and improvement in the analytical department, Staley, and staff with input into the draft.

Has Telesco done enough to get that last shot with a Franchise QB, a roster that definitely has bright spots, a solid amount of draft picks, and money to spend? As far as I can tell we are 2nd most cap space in the NFL. And we have a solid amount of our best players already signed. Who would be possible replacements?

A real-time look at the 2022 salary cap totals for each NFL team, including estimated cap space.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
      No coaching change will turn Mike Davis into a true CB1.

No coaching staff will turn Norton into a solid starting RT.

No coaching staff will make Chris Harris younger, or Josh Kelley worth a roster spot
      No coaching staff during the Telesco regime were able to improve special teams. It took better veteran players added in season to see a decent special teams for once.

Before they hire anyone.
      They need to fire Telesco.
      No coaching staff will turn Brandon Parker into a solid starting RT; no coaching staff will turn Brandon Facyson into a solid starting cb.....

Raiders still dominated the Chargers for most of the game.

Hopefully, Staley and coaching staff improve.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by boldarblood View Post
        I am ok with bringing in Vic Fangio, but I would not necessarily have him replace Renaldo Hill. I would bring Fangio in as a Defensive Consultant and possible Assistant HC or to HC. I would imagine that Fangio could possibly want another HC shot down next season or two, possibly 1 and done?

Hill being able to pick the brain of 2 of the brighter Defensive minds could make him be much more competent.

Switching to Staley officially started a rebuild from the Lynn era. Have to deal with the natural attrition of players from the new schemes, new needs. They did a good job on ST and Offense so far. I expect to see that same love on the Defensive side.

Telesco definitely has a questionable past on quality, no need to go over that dead horse again. But would throw in a wrinkle, was the problem Telesco, just luck of the draft, Lynn and his staff not developing players well. somewhere in middle.

The reason I ask is with the marked increase and improvement in the analytical department, Staley, and staff with input into the draft.

Has Telesco done enough to get that last shot with a Franchise QB, a roster that definitely has bright spots, a solid amount of draft picks, and money to spend? As far as I can tell we are 2nd most cap space in the NFL. And we have a solid amount of our best players already signed. Who would be possible replacements?

A real-time look at the 2022 salary cap totals for each NFL team, including estimated cap space.

Next year will make or break Telesco/Staley......if its the same, move on from Telesco and let the new GM consider what to do with Staley.

Comment

• Boltgang74
          We Are The Storm!
          • Aug 2018
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Next year will make or break Telesco/Staley......if its the same, move on from Telesco and let the new GM consider what to do with Staley.
          Shit why wait and let TT flush all that cap and picks?New GM is looong overdue.

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

I think we spent way too much on Long in the tooth players this season like Bulaga, Harris, and Linval. They might have been good at one point but they are dragging the team down on the salray cap as well this past season. We get a clean slate going into next year so with consultation from staley I think quite a bit will be cleaned up.
            Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

New GM quite likely would want to move on from Staley.
              Getting rid of Telesco means Staley probably goes soon afterwards.

Some think John Spanos will become the next GM. In that case, Staley would be safe.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I think we spent way too much on Long in the tooth players this season like Bulaga, Harris, and Linval. They might have been good at one point but they are dragging the team down on the salray cap as well this past season. We get a clean slate going into next year so with consultation from staley I think quite a bit will be cleaned up.
                am a little wary of letting Linval go.... was not in favor of letting Denzel go, and also thought CHJ was the better el adioso, rather than Hayward.... NT is of primary import.
                RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

New GM quite likely would want to move on from Staley.
                  Getting rid of Telesco means Staley probably goes soon afterwards.

Some think John Spanos will become the next GM. In that case, Staley would be safe.
                  don't think I've ever come across that sentiment before.... ??

do recall young John make it pointedly clear early on, that he was intimately involved in personnel decisions, and.... haven't heard much from him since.... (since team Tommy John has been remarkably avg over their tenure).

will also add that our D has never been overly good ever since young John took the helm, and about that time we decided that our D was better w/a 305 lbs NT or the such.... to my recollection, Linval is the first and most notable departure from that philosophy.... hopefully there are more "shifts" in "philosophy" to follow.
                  RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

How many franchises would keep a GM after 2 playoff appearances in NINE years? And many of those other years weren't close either...they were very lean years.

This is why you have the Chiefs, Packers, Bills, Titans, Bucs, etc.

And then you have teams like the Chargers.
                    my personal recollection is that the turning point for the Chiefs was when they had 14 draft picks and John Dorsey as their GM.... will having 11 picks be a catalyst at all for us ??

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by rikardo View Post
                      Should we hire him for DC ?
                      We still need to improve the middle of the D IMO (DT, MLB)
                      not so interested in Fangio.... do think we should give Brandon the opportunity to hire his Dline coach of choice, and to let Giff get along w/things.

would also make a call to Joe Brady and offer him a job as QBs coach or better....

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                        I think a few Charger fans here are going to be very disappointed when the coaching staff and front office return with no major changes.
                        have said it before, and will say it yet again.... would take a hard look @letting go of AJ residue in the scouting department.... someone is responsible for some of the dud draft picks and FA miscues.

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

No coaching staff will turn Brandon Parker into a solid starting RT; no coaching staff will turn Brandon Facyson into a solid starting cb.....

Raiders still dominated the Chargers for most of the game.

Hopefully, Staley and coaching staff improve.
                          What?

Parker gave up the most pressures on his team tonight. The former 3rd Rd pick is avg at best. Which was still twice as good as Norton who was a turnstile tonight.

Facyson fits Gus scheme and can play the CB2 role but no coach is turning him into a CB1. And he is only avg at CB2. Better tackler than cover corner.

There were 10 flags toss at Chargers for a dominate performance by the zebras.

Swap Norton for Parker or the 10 flags to 4 flags.
                          Either would be enough to shift the game.

GM can't do nothing about the refs terrible calls but he can get a better Right Tackle.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡