Hire New DC and Replace Hill? (was Vic Fangio, Wink Martindale)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

It should be discussed in the building

1) Staley is HC -- should he be the DC
    2) is Renaldo Hill ready to call plays in the NFL as DC - if not, he should not be DC
    3) Fangio is out there. Zimmer is out there. These are good coaches
    4) is the organization looking at this as a coaching issue? player issue? or Both.

But the way the defense performed, there should be changes on the defensive side of the ball in terms of staff and players. Do not settle for below mediocrity
    I'm for this! There were just too many break downs and miscues for the entire defense. And yes 3 more solid starters will make a huge difference in key positions. What we saw last season reminds me of the Dan Fouts era...no defense to go with the high powered offense.

:2cents:
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I'm for this! There were just too many break downs and miscues for the entire defense. And yes 3 more solid starters will make a huge difference in key positions. What we saw last season reminds me of the Dan Fouts era...no defense to go with the high powered offense.

:2cents:
      Players back: Justin Jones, Kyzir White and Nwosu

Players Out: Joseph, Chris Harris

So yes, Telesco needs to not only bring back the guys up top but replace Joseph and Harris also adding another IDL or two for depth. Plus Edge. So for me, two IDL, one Edge and a CB1/2

I just hope they do not settle for fixing the players if coaching is part of the problem. Be honest.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Start with the DC. Our defense wasn't good this season. DC is responsible. Coaches get fired for that.
        He may be ultimately be fired, but I have a feeling that he won't, unless Staley thinks he needs a scapegoat. I'm more concerned about the poor fundamentals outside a few on the defense. Sure, Fangio or someone else might come along and do a clean sweep, but that is very unlikely.

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Play calling can NOT overcome talent issue.

Think about it like this.....
          The defense or offense you're playing is in a certain personnel packages and formations and a good call to attack or counter attack is Play A or Play B with options and adjustments.

Then at the snap everyone is trying to execute their assignments and someone gets beat and the play goes nowhere or someone gets beat and it's a big gain. And it was literally a great call vs what the opponent was trying to do. But at face value it look like a crap play call. But as a OC or DC you got the exact look you want and attacked with call that works when executed.

You want your full playbook at your disposal and it happens when the roster is better and can actually execute the full play book consistently.

If you think this roster is plenty talented enough to execute the full playbook with few execution errors. Then you would look at the coaches as failing to put them in position to win.

But I have seen it. I'm seeing some talent issues that are making execution difficult at times.

The players with physical limitations as to how good they can be have to be upgraded. The great athletic players who are making mental mistakes need to start making progress with awareness and understanding so they can eliminate those mental errors and play consistent football or they need to be upgraded as well.

Staley shows great teaching skills so I would think he is giving them all the information they need to be mentally prepared to execute the plays. I want to see how his defense performance looks if they can add a lockdown CB1 to the roster.
          Who has it better than us?

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post
            Staley won't do it (I'd imagine). Being a "players coach and all-around nice guy, he won't sack his DC after only one year).
            Brandon is our D coordinator/defensive play caller.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
              Chargers Hall of Fame
              • Sep 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Brandon is our D coordinator/defensive play caller.
              While I know it's true, I hate to believe it, considering how piss-awful our D was this year. We were a little better under Gus without Derwin James and with a hobbled Casey Hayward. Sigh.

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

While I know it's true, I hate to believe it, considering how piss-awful our D was this year. We were a little better under Gus without Derwin James and with a hobbled Casey Hayward. Sigh.
                I think it's great that he thinks he can do it all the reality is that maybe head coaches in this day and age can't stay on top of like they used to. 20 years ago I'd say maybe....today I don't think it's possible in this competitive landscape.

:thinking:
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

I’m with Popper on this. We got steadily better as the season progressed especially after getting Roberts and Hopkins. Would have made more sense to fire Hill instead of Swinton

Comment

• LOhunter
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

Can’t have everything. JH has proven he can cover up offensive deficiencies. The D and stupid coaching decisions is beyond his control. Focus on what will get you to the playoffs.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Swinton, the ST coach - fired

I hope Staley has a name in mind - maybe from another staff.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
                        Swinton, the ST coach - fired

I hope Staley has a name in mind - maybe from another staff.
                        Really bad unit relative to the league, and was bottom until they changed out the kicker and kick returner. They probably will have someone in mind with the shake ups on other teams. Swinton was better than Stewart though.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Really bad unit relative to the league, and was bottom until they changed out the kicker and kick returner. They probably will have someone in mind with the shake ups on other teams. Swinton was better than Stewart though.
                          It is still an area where TElesco has not had the players consistently combined with coaching

Rookies like Amen O, Niemann, Rumph were part of the Special TEams. Kelley I think also part of those units and he has been up and down.

Jeff Tabor, released by the BEars I believe, might be a name to watch. Swinton might be sold down the river but if you can get better, find a better coach. (But again, part of this is personnel too)

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍