• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dcblanton View Post

I've always felt like the Chargers were super talented, but couldn't stay healthy in previous years. That and Rivers tended to make mistakes in the biggest moments.

To act like Mike Williams or Keenan Allen are not one of the top receiving tandems in the NFL is laughable.

No one on early felt like the Raiders were more talented than the Chargers last night.

The Raiders just played more focused.

Obviously, Herbert threw the interception, but I think the two biggest plays were the fumbled punt and the Raiders stuffing 4th and 1 at the Chargers 18.

The biggest is probably the fumbled punt. But, Staley's aggressiveness should be reserved for great teams, not mediocre ones.

The biggest plays we’re giving up a 3rd and 23 followed by a PI in the end zone. We had all the momentum and the ball to start the second half. That killed it. Then Hopkins missed a fg on the opening drive. Another momentum killer

Comment

• BigBad
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by fanatic View Post

Would like the Bolts receivers in KC. After Hill KC is average at best.
      What people don't realize is that with speed like Hill it OPENS THE FIELD. The safties freak and stay back. I'm interested in Mahomes decision-making once that is gone.

Comment

• fanatic
        Registered Chiefs Fan
        • Dec 2021
        • Southern California
        • Realtor
        • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post

What people don't realize is that with speed like Hill it OPENS THE FIELD. The safties freak and stay back. I'm interested in Mahomes decision-making once that is gone.
        I think most do get that. Hill has missed games and Kc still wins. Hardman is also very fast. This year Hill is mostly a short yardage YAC receiver. KC oline is really good. Three guys are rookies. They will get better. Give any elite QB time and they will throw guys open. What KC needs is a Williams type tall possession red zone receiver.

Comment

• CivilBolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

The biggest plays we’re giving up a 3rd and 23 followed by a PI in the end zone. We had all the momentum and the ball to start the second half. That killed it. Then Hopkins missed a fg on the opening drive. Another momentum killer
          I think the wide open pass that KA dropped in the middle was critical too. I forget if it was 3rd down but I think we punted on the same drive.

Comment

• RTPbolt
            Charger Fan till the end
            • Jun 2013
            • North Carolina
            • Send PM

THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING!!! That's what i'm reading here. Step back and look at where we were over the last 8 years under McCoy and Lynn....can you honestly say we aren't already in better shape than under the handcuffs of those 2 HCs?

Honestly we ALL knew our Defense was substandard at this point in its development. Anyone thinking we were going to get by top offensive teams game after game in the playoffs were probably not seeing our faults. If I remove my emotions which obviously i'm a bit bummed we didn't pull out the win I still look at this season as a pretty positive step in the right direction. How many 1st year head coaches that installed both a new Offense AND a new Defense improve the record? Much less from a 7 win season to a 9 win above 500 season? Its rarely done folks.

I get it Staley is aggressive. I'd have punted without question from our side of the field. Will he learn from that? I think so. To me this is his training wheels season folks and he's going to run off the sidewalk a few time but I do believe with another year refining the roster and getting the core now familiar with the O and D will improve our results. We competed in every game and really only botched the Ravens and Texans covid game. Nobody is perfect....just learn from it and go fix the gaps. Herbert threw for over 5000 yards and had 38 tds his 2nd year in the league and 1st year under a new Offense with a brand new OL. We aren't far off here. New RT, sign Aboushee, draft the best damn DL mauler and a pass rusher we can and fill talent to challenge the starters. D has to be the priority IMO. We do this and we can turn some of those close losses around.

To me the sky is looking pretty nice.....a hell of a lot better than when we were drafting 6th 2 years ago after a dismal Lynn performance coaching job. Give the team year 2....and watch how we do.

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Wish I was a fly on the wall in the Spanos' office today. I can't imagine that the idea of firing Telesco, Staley or Lombardo is even on the agenda. Hell, I find it hard to believe even Hill will be jettisoned. Playing Devil's Advocate, I can actually picture the Family patting themselves on the back:

1) They have a franchise QB and media darling in Justin Herbert
              2) They just completed what was arguably the most exciting and entertaining season of any team in the League
              3) Staley is viewed as a class act and the players seem to be buying into his philosophy
              4) It seems as if there has been better turnout at home games for the team this year
              5) The Chargers improved by 2 wins and just missed the playoffs
              6) The season was probably profitable for the Spanos family

Changes at the top? Don't bet any money on that. The only thing we might - MIGHT - be able to hope for is a bit of a spending spree in FA and a good draft.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Remember how this feels? I don’t need any reminders. I’ve had this feeling too many times

Comment

• Berserker76
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                  THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING!!! That's what i'm reading here. Step back and look at where we were over the last 8 years under McCoy and Lynn....can you honestly say we aren't already in better shape than under the handcuffs of those 2 HCs?

Honestly we ALL knew our Defense was substandard at this point in its development. Anyone thinking we were going to get by top offensive teams game after game in the playoffs were probably not seeing our faults. If I remove my emotions which obviously i'm a bit bummed we didn't pull out the win I still look at this season as a pretty positive step in the right direction. How many 1st year head coaches that installed both a new Offense AND a new Defense improve the record? Much less from a 7 win season to a 9 win above 500 season? Its rarely done folks.

I get it Staley is aggressive. I'd have punted without question from our side of the field. Will he learn from that? I think so. To me this is his training wheels season folks and he's going to run off the sidewalk a few time but I do believe with another year refining the roster and getting the core now familiar with the O and D will improve our results. We competed in every game and really only botched the Ravens and Texans covid game. Nobody is perfect....just learn from it and go fix the gaps. Herbert threw for over 5000 yards and had 38 tds his 2nd year in the league and 1st year under a new Offense with a brand new OL. We aren't far off here. New RT, sign Aboushee, draft the best damn DL mauler and a pass rusher we can and fill talent to challenge the starters. D has to be the priority IMO. We do this and we can turn some of those close losses around.

To me the sky is looking pretty nice.....a hell of a lot better than when we were drafting 6th 2 years ago after a dismal Lynn performance coaching job. Give the team year 2....and watch how we do.
                  Good take, RTP.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post

It's tough to reconcile having a mostly healthy Derwin and Joey on defense and having said defense be so swiss cheese like most of the season. And why didn't White play over Murray last night? White has been one of our best players on D. WTF was that?

Comment

• MusicMakerInMe
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2020
                      • Send PM

I said it before, WR should not be prioritized over defense.

They need to keep KA and give him Gates's role: some target Herbert is familiar with and obviously has plenty of chemistry. I also like Mike Williams. They can then find a WR1 who can stretch the field vertically.

Super Bowl-winning QB's always have somebody they know very well who may not even be the #1 target. I think KA and Mike can be those guys for Herbert.

Ideally add to the WR core, don't blow it up. Instead use more resources on the defense.

The big difference between this team and other great offenses who have won Super Bowls honestly is that those teams' defenses can get the ball back to them. They can also straight-up shut down other good teams for stretches while their offense continues to pound them - KC in the 2019 play-offs comes to mind.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                        Wish I was a fly on the wall in the Spanos' office today. I can't imagine that the idea of firing Telesco, Staley or Lombardo is even on the agenda. Hell, I find it hard to believe even Hill will be jettisoned. Playing Devil's Advocate, I can actually picture the Family patting themselves on the back:

1) They have a franchise QB and media darling in Justin Herbert
                        2) They just completed what was arguably the most exciting and entertaining season of any team in the League
                        3) Staley is viewed as a class act and the players seem to be buying into his philosophy
                        4) It seems as if there has been better turnout at home games for the team this year
                        5) The Chargers improved by 2 wins and just missed the playoffs
                        6) The season was probably profitable for the Spanos family

Changes at the top? Don't bet any money on that. The only thing we might - MIGHT - be able to hope for is a bit of a spending spree in FA and a good draft.
                        Agree mostly, but I do think there’s a flaw in Staley’s approach: he seems to be saying, know your assignment, stay in position, and we will win the play and the game. Consistency. And there’s a lot of value in that for a team like this one (also for the former Chargers we just played against, obviously, they just got the message from someone other than Staley). But it leaves out talent - some guys are just better, period. Also mistakes run like a river, one guy then another then your top players are doing it, that may have been the most snake-bit game of this snake-bit season for us.

I would hope for two things you mentioned for next year: the continued buy-in with Staley, and TT bringing in more talent, wherever it comes from. If we get two more wins, we’re in (I’m hoping for 4, but will settle for 3, lol).

Comment

• dcblanton
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

The third and 23 was a huge play.

And, Harris committing PI in that situation when it was not likely to have been caught anyway was huge going into halftime.

The missed field goal: Stuff like that happens. The Raiders punted directly after that. It was not a big deal in terms of momentum. It was a 51 yard kick. Not a gimme. Heck, if Herbert doesn't take a huge sack after getting into field goal range, they convert that. He held the ball way too long.

After they forced the punt, the Chargers were at the 18 yard line and went for it. The defense held the Raiders again, but they still got 3 points.

The muffed punt was big as well. They scored on their first drive. Chargers forced a punt on their second drive.

The worst part of a close game like that is that there are a lot of plays that would have changed the game if they went the other way.

In the end, the one that Staley had the most control over was going for it on 4th and 1 at their own 18 in a 3pt game.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍