Tom Telesco Discussion - Retained for 2023 Season.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Add that in with TT’s successes in free agency and evaluating/resigning our own stars and you have a complete picture of his win loss record.
    Thats what tells the story - not how he does in the draft or free agency - its the following
    two playoffs
    overall record under .500
    zero division titles
    one 10+ win season

He isn't being fired obviously so just have to hope he can nail this offseason like he did last offseason. I have no idea why his name wasn't mentioned as being on the hotseat other than having Tommy around allows John Boy to play GM

Comment

• Riverwalk
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2021
      • Send PM

Telesco strikes me as John Spanos’s puppet. Hence, he isn’t going anywhere.

The sub 500 record, draft busts and FA whiffs, have Spanos fingerprints all over them.

Comment

• electricgold
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2020
        • Send PM

No worries either way IF the Chargers finish the season next year with less than 9 or 10 wins and no playoffs again Telesco with Staley will be fired and maybe someone like Jim Harbaugh will be brought in with his GM...

On a brighter note if the Chargers PROGRESS and build a team sort of like the Bills have and add the right players and coaches and cut the players that don't fit the future is bright!

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

TT should be judged by his record, like all coaches and GMs and it isn't very good. Having said that, aside from a few (very) vocal fans here, I haven't heard even the faintest hint that he is on the hot seat so I'm not sure both are gone next year under any circumstance. The one nagging thing about some of his picks is it sure seems to me like the 2 previous coaching staffs did a really lousy job of developing young players. Now you can blame TT somewhat for the coaching hires (but much more Team Spanii) but I suspect the current staff would have gotten more out of some of those players. Would some of them have stuck? Not sure. I just hope TT nails the D like he did the oline this year. If he does, we should a solid playoff team next year.

Comment

• Heatmiser
            HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Staley and his coaches certainly did make recent Telesco draft picks look really good.

White, Nwosu, Slater, Herbert, Williams, Samuel, Adderly looking really good. (James and Bosa great before so they are immune to coaching? I threw Herbert in because of the growth and approach Staley used).

Guys like Nieman, Palmer, Tillery, Gilman, Jackson, Pipkins, Tranquil all trending up. McKitty was a very effective blocking TE by the end of the season.

So pretty hard for ownership to fire the guy right now. And Staley was looking like rookie coach of the year at one point.

Telesco's overall record is below .500 but his last couple years he looks like a good player personnel guy. And like I posted in one of the many, many, fire Telesco threads, he runs a clean program, the salary cap is manageable, and the team has a squeaky image. That all counts with branding and a lot of money comes from branding, not just winning. Look at the Cowboys. Telesco is not going to be fired.

TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
              Staley and his coaches certainly did make recent Telesco draft picks look really good.

White, Nwosu, Slater, Herbert, Williams, Samuel, Adderly looking really good. (James and Bosa great before so they are immune to coaching? I threw Herbert in because of the growth and approach Staley used).

Guys like Nieman, Palmer, Tillery, Gilman, Jackson, Pipkins, Tranquil all trending up. McKitty was a very effective blocking TE by the end of the season.

So pretty hard for ownership to fire the guy right now. And Staley was looking like rookie coach of the year at one point.

Telesco's overall record is below .500 but his last couple years he looks like a good player personnel guy. And like I posted in one of the many, many, fire Telesco threads, he runs a clean program, the salary cap is manageable, and the team has a squeaky image. That all counts with branding and a lot of money comes from branding, not just winning. Look at the Cowboys. Telesco is not going to be fired.

TG
              I disagree with the last paragraph. In sports, everything comes from winning. The other stuff has little significance. The Bolts have a niiiiccee program. But they’re looossseeerrrs. Nice gets them zero fans.

winning starts at the top. And I see no chance of TT getting fired in the foreseeable future. Winning does not seem to be a job requirement for him.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I disagree with the last paragraph. In sports, everything comes from winning. The other stuff has little significance. The Bolts have a niiiiccee program. But theyre looossseeerrrs. Nice gets them zero fans.

winning starts at the top. And I see no chance of TT getting fired in the foreseeable future. Winning does not seem to be a job requirement for him.
                Yep...Having a nice program but being losers is like calling the Titanic a nice ship...except for that little hole in it...

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                  French Speaking Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Québec city
                  • Send PM

Usually, I like your comparisons with the Titanic, Topcat, but not here.
                  The Chargers should flourish a little bit more than that silly boat

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert

i’m not in the “fire TT” group for only one reason. I’m not sure a new GM is going to change anything. What the chargers need is new ownership, until that happens nothing is going to change.

whenever I find myself getting frustrated with TT I stop and reevaluate, why would he still have a job? The answer is that he’s just meat shield for the Spanos pulling the strings, why would they fire him? He takes the brunt of the bullshit and they keep on tinkering and meddling to their heart’s content.

few things make me cringe more than seeing the Spanos clan force players to greet them as they go back to the locker room. At least jerry jones spends the money on the players and advocates for his team 24/7 at league offices, the Spanos have no pride of ownership, they don’t bleed with the fanbase like a jerry jones, they simply approach it from the bottom line. They have guaranteed profits so what incentive do they have to cut in to them in order to field the best team possible?

Herbert will become Rivers 2.0 despite all of our hopes and dreams
                    That certainly is cringe-worthy. Is it true? Does Dean & little John actually stand in front of the locker room door after games and eyeball players as they pass by?
                    Maybe they are just there to ask those who performed poorly to take a pay cut....something innocent like that.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                      We Are The Storm!
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Send PM

Screw squeeky clean bullshit.I want a winning team,could care less about the teams chior boy image.WIN or be Fired,period.Another wasted season is friggin pathetic.And letting the damn Raiturds punk us out of the POs is just fuckin lame.Screw TT.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                        Screw squeeky clean bullshit.I want a winning team,could care less about the teams chior boy image.WIN or be Fired,period.Another wasted season is friggin pathetic.And letting the damn Raiturds punk us out of the POs is just fuckin lame.Screw TT.
                        As long as they're not gun toting maniacs or homicidal drivers we can work with them. LOL!

:smoking:
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                          French Speaking Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Québec city
                          • Send PM

I would have liked to see JH in playoff.
                          But I don't see how the Chargers could have beaten the Bills in BUF this year.
                          It will be another thing in 2022-23 !

Comment

Working...
                          X