Tom Telesco Discussion - Retained for 2023 Season.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RTPbolt
    Charger Fan till the end
    • Jun 2013
    • North Carolina
    • Send PM

No way. It would be very shortsighted to do this now. This is not a team that he ignored and didn't fill with talent folks. We have what 5 probowlers and 6 alternates this year. I heard all the time how this team has great talent by the pundits and honestly I believe it. Our biggest issue has been finding the RIGHT coach to take advantage of it. McCoy and Lynn despite having some positive traits I did like just didn't know how to manage a team and or game well enough....its not an easy job. I do believe Staley is that coach. This is year 1 though....shit we can't ditch the GM now because that implies ditch the HC. I feel firmly that TT has done a good job at finding talent and its just going to take a bit more time to refine the players and depth to get this Defense into what we need it to be. To expect only 1 year to make it to the promised land is not realistic. We were NOT ready for a real playoff run.....we dont have the defense yet. Tampa, KC and prior all pretty much had to have at least a decent defense to play complementary ball with a good offense....without the D shit falls apart....at least good enough to make enough stops to get it to your offense.

This to me is not a TT problem....we need to give another year to build this team not destroy it by reversing course on a new GM that has filled this team with pretty good talent and some might argue top talent with DJ, Bosa, Herb, Allen, Slater, MWill and others that IMO Staley is building into using effectively. Lets draft and get more FAs. Fix the right side of the OL and get a monster in the middle of the DL or two to power this D. We have lots of cap space (thank you TT) to make next year potentially a bigger jump year.

Comment

• cmplxgal
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • New Jersey
      • Send PM

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        I guess we'll see what happens but I still have a hard time believing TT will be fired.
        I can't imagine a scenario where Telesco gets fired this off-season. It's funny...it seems as if there have been eight "Fire Telesco!" threads started this year. One after each loss. Winning cures everything. Telesco gets at least another off-season, IMO.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

I can't imagine a scenario where Telesco gets fired this off-season. It's funny...it seems as if there have been eight "Fire Telesco!" threads started this year. One after each loss. Winning cures everything. Telesco gets at least another off-season, IMO.
          U r probably right, Smokey. TT gets at least ONE more season, and if we miss the playoffs again, he'll REALLY almost get fired...

Comment

• Boltx
            Dominate the day
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

I mean, you're probably right.

But if winning cures everything...why is a GM with a 69-76 record still employed?

This is a results-driven league. I think 9 years is ample time to judge his body of work. I'm not saying he hasn't made any good moves - he certainly has. But the results speak for themselves. Sometimes you just need a change, especially after 9 years.

What do we have to lose? The trophy case is still empty and collecting dust.
            ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Boltx
              Dominate the day
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
              And 0 AFC West division titles.

Again like I said, he has certainly had his share of decent picks/moves.

But when you step back and look at the objective data regarding his body of work...you're really left pretty disappointed.
              ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• MagicMamba88
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2019
                • Send PM

its time for him to

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

U r probably right, Smokey. TT gets at least ONE more season, and if we miss the playoffs again, he'll REALLY almost get fired...
                  With the emphasis on at least....the Spanos have a comfort level with him: nice, complementary, reserved, deferential....

Staley/Telesco are telling the hapless Spanos that they are just on the cusp......just follow through.

That will give Telesco at least two more years.:rasta:

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                    No way. It would be very shortsighted to do this now. This is not a team that he ignored and didn't fill with talent folks. We have what 5 probowlers and 6 alternates this year. I heard all the time how this team has great talent by the pundits and honestly I believe it. Our biggest issue has been finding the RIGHT coach to take advantage of it. McCoy and Lynn despite having some positive traits I did like just didn't know how to manage a team and or game well enough....its not an easy job. I do believe Staley is that coach. This is year 1 though....shit we can't ditch the GM now because that implies ditch the HC. I feel firmly that TT has done a good job at finding talent and its just going to take a bit more time to refine the players and depth to get this Defense into what we need it to be. To expect only 1 year to make it to the promised land is not realistic. We were NOT ready for a real playoff run.....we dont have the defense yet. Tampa, KC and prior all pretty much had to have at least a decent defense to play complementary ball with a good offense....without the D shit falls apart....at least good enough to make enough stops to get it to your offense.

This to me is not a TT problem....we need to give another year to build this team not destroy it by reversing course on a new GM that has filled this team with pretty good talent and some might argue top talent with DJ, Bosa, Herb, Allen, Slater, MWill and others that IMO Staley is building into using effectively. Lets draft and get more FAs. Fix the right side of the OL and get a monster in the middle of the DL or two to power this D. We have lots of cap space (thank you TT) to make next year potentially a bigger jump year.
                    Maybe I'm a glutton but I am leaning towards agreeing with RTPbolt. True, Staley has done nothing remotely good for our defensive play save for White and Nwosu's development. And possibly Adderley's as well. BUT that's just it. Some of our players ARE developing! I realize Norton got humiliated last night as a starter against one of the better edge rushers in the NFL but he's made a lot of progress this year - at least against average DE's. Which is fine for a back-up OT. Norton has improved a lot this year. So has Pipkins. I want a Head Coach and staff that develop players. We seem to have that now. I would like to see a more disciplined defense on the field every Sunday however and we may need to explore coaching/D-Co changes to facilitate that. So because I'm willing to give Staley another year that means keeping TT around as well. If there isn't drastic improvement defensively for us next year I do want TT - and maybe even Staley - fired.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • New Jersey
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post
                      And possibly Adderley's as well.

Did anyone else think that Adderley was regressing during the last several games? He looked so improved for much of the season but finished with a number of games that I thought were sub-par.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Send PM

Did anyone else think that Adderley was regressing during the last several games? He looked so improved for much of the season but finished with a number of games that I thought were sub-par.
                        It seemed like his physical style got him dinged up in the early going and he didn't come back the same from it.

Comment

• UglyTruth
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2018
                          • Send PM

Now we’re asking the important questions.
                          Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                          - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                          - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                          - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                          - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                          - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                          - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍