• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by madcaplaughs View Post
    Staley's scheme would look a lot better with a DT that could hold his ground while commanding a double team. Preferably 2. We got a franchise LT in the draft last year, and it paid immense dividends on the OL. Maybe we'll get another Jamaal Williams this year (Davis, out of GA?).
    Preferably 3 - 4: Joseph & Jones could hold a double team. A big drop off without those two guys out there.

Comment

• Xenos
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

It is in the Nature of fans to overrate talent on their team.

However, less talented than that Raider squad on Sunday?
      Yeah, we fucked up against the Raiders on Sunday. That’s why they deserve to move on and we didn’t. It’s the little things like losing the turnover battle and letting Jacobsen run unlike the first game.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

I agree with what TTThunder said, it was too early for Brandon Staley to be a head coach. He's only been in the NFL a few years, and it's clear to me he just was not ready, he was in over his head. I feel the Spanoses and/or Tom Telesco became enamored with Staley, became fixated on him, and didn't really do a full coaching search. I feel they jumped the gun on hiring Staley because they were afraid one of the other teams searching for a coach would sign him. It kind of reminds of 2013, when they became fixated on Mike McCoy. They thought McCoy was the next big thing, and they didn't want to lose him, offering him a contract and cancelling interviews with other candidates, including Bruce Arians.

I agree with the thread starter Guest, that Staley failed to live up to his forte - the thing he was supposed to excel at - masterminding defense. Yes, he did not have the personnel on the Chargers that he had with the Rams. But he was supposed to at least elevate the defense over what it had been in 2020. He failed at that quite miserably. As Guest points out, if the Rams' defensive personnel were so much better, then doesn't that explain their success more than Staley's influence, and why should that get Staley a head coaching job?

Make no mistake, the Chargers are out of the playoffs this season because of extremely poor defense. The offense was top 5 in scoring this season. The defense was tied for 29th worst in points allowed. It's pretty simple. You can have a great offense, but if your defense can't stop the other team from scoring, it negates your great offense. Every team that finished in the top 12 in scoring is in the playoffs - except for the Chargers.

We are stuck with Brandon Staley. But I don't necessarily think that is a negative. He is very smart and I believe with experience he could grow into his job and become the HC we all wanted him to be. I just hope he is not another Josh McDaniels, who thought he was right about everything, even the stupid decisions he made. If Staley can learn from this season and grow as a coach, I believe he has a chance to fulfill his potential. But he has to be able to acknowledge his mistakes and shortcomings, and make corrections, change the way he does some things.

Comment

• Xenos
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          I agree with what TTThunder said, it was too early for Brandon Staley to be a head coach. He's only been in the NFL a few years, and it's clear to me he just was not ready, he was in over his head. I feel the Spanoses and/or Tom Telesco became enamored with Staley, became fixated on him, and didn't really do a full coaching search. I feel they jumped the gun on hiring Staley because they were afraid one of the other teams searching for a coach would sign him. It kind of reminds of 2013, when they became fixated on Mike McCoy. They thought McCoy was the next big thing, and they didn't want to lose him, offering him a contract and cancelling interviews with other candidates, including Bruce Arians.

I agree with the thread starter Guest, that Staley failed to live up to his forte - the thing he was supposed to excel at - masterminding defense. Yes, he did not have the personnel on the Chargers that he had with the Rams. But he was supposed to at least elevate the defense over what it had been in 2020. He failed at that quite miserably. As Guest points out, if the Rams' defensive personnel were so much better, then doesn't that explain their success more than Staley's influence, and why should that get Staley a head coaching job?

Make no mistake, the Chargers are out of the playoffs this season because of extremely poor defense. The offense was top 5 in scoring this season. The defense was tied for 29th worst in points allowed. It's pretty simple. You can have a great offense, but if your defense can't stop the other team from scoring, it negates your great offense. Every team that finished in the top 12 in scoring is in the playoffs - except for the Chargers.

We are stuck with Brandon Staley. But I don't necessarily think that is a negative. He is very smart and I believe with experience he could grow into his job and become the HC we all wanted him to be. I just hope he is not another Josh McDaniels, who thought he was right about everything, even the stupid decisions he made. If Staley can learn from this season and grow as a coach, I believe he has a chance to fulfill his potential. But he has to be able to acknowledge his mistakes and shortcomings, and make corrections, change the way he does some things.
          I don’t think we have to worry about Staley ever being McDaniels. There’s no wrestle for control like it was with Josh and Denver. Staley also didn’t try to ship Herbert out when he first forgot here. I also don’t see the McCoy similarities. We interviewed a lot of different people this time also so I don’t think we were solely fixated on him. He was just the best candidate in their opinion after casting a wide net. I can see why now because there’s a lot of positives as you mentioned. I don’t feel he’s in over his head compared to our previous head coaches. His situational awareness is also better than a lot of his predecessors and even other current HCs in the league. The problems are issues like not getting the team up for certain games, as well as certain decisions like giving Murray more snaps over White during an important game. Fundamentals are also important. And it’s something he needs to hammer home more next season.

Comment

• Xenos
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by TTThunder View Post
            I think being a HC may be too much too early for him...

That's why it would be great to have someone he trusts to help him, like Vic Fangio as Defensive Assistant (and have him takeover on the defense duty so that Staley can focus more on overall... I would not be mad if he has more sayings on the offense (which I think is basic/conservative/not innovative)....)

Go Bolts!!!
            This is a hard question. You can say that it’s too early for him. But I also see a lot of other HCs in the league with more experience make even more mistakes. His youth allows him to think outside the box and has led to a lot of victories this year. There are things that he needs to be better at especially on the defensive side so I wouldn’t be opposed to getting Fangio if it doesn’t cause too many internal issues.

Comment

• Silversurfer
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2019
              • Los Angeles
              • Send PM

They got Joey Bosa dropping in coverage, Staley trying to be to cute. Not knowing how to stack the box and leaving Tillery in games when clearly the back ups out played him.

Defensive guru my ass.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post
                They got Joey Bosa dropping in coverage, Staley trying to be to cute. Not knowing how to stack the box and leaving Tillery in games when clearly the back ups out played him.

Defensive guru my ass.
                I have no problem with that: saves Bosa the energy of having to fight through two blockers, and yet keeps him on the field to single up other pass rushers.

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post

Defensive guru my ass.
                  The Tillery one is perplexing.

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

It's really not very complicated at all imho
                    we had to heavily invest on offense because of how bad our Oline was and strategically it makes sense to immediately invest in protecting the future (Herbert)
                    you're left with making due (or doo doo) with what you have left, plus asante.
                    it's fair to say staley could have done a better job coaching the D for THIS year
                    By keeping things simple, more like it was under Gus
                    but at the cost of getting behind in installing HIS system, which he plans to run and win with in the ENSUING years.
                    Forrest for the trees.
                    He also has a much better guage of who will fit into said system. Staley is not shy about stressing out his guys by putting them into stressful situations and letting them sink or swim.
                    when we're on a true superbowl run, I suspect he will manage personnel differently.
                    the goal for 2021 was to introduce system and infuse an aggressive culture.

the cap situation is not a coincidence either, imo the plan all along was to use this offseason to shape the defense, after we've secured Herbert significantly this season and introduced the new defense to our guys, particularly the keepers.
                    I fully expect the majority of our cap to go to defense and that translating to a much improved defense in 2022. Staley will be a defensive genius again and it'll all make sense.
                    Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Xenos
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                      It's really not very complicated at all imho
                      we had to heavily invest on offense because of how bad our Oline was and strategically it makes sense to immediately invest in protecting the future (Herbert)
                      you're left with making due (or doo doo) with what you have left, plus asante.
                      it's fair to say staley could have done a better job coaching the D for THIS year
                      By keeping things simple, more like it was under Gus
                      but at the cost of getting behind in installing HIS system, which he plans to run and win with in the ENSUING years.
                      Forrest for the trees.
                      He also has a much better guage of who will fit into said system. Staley is not shy about stressing out his guys by putting them into stressful situations and letting them sink or swim.
                      when we're on a true superbowl run, I suspect he will manage personnel differently.
                      the goal for 2021 was to introduce system and infuse an aggressive culture.

the cap situation is not a coincidence either, imo the plan all along was to use this offseason to shape the defense, after we've secured Herbert significantly this season and introduced the new defense to our guys, particularly the keepers.
                      I fully expect the majority of our cap to go to defense and that translating to a much improved defense in 2022. Staley will be a defensive genius again and it'll all make sense.
                      These are good points. What we personally need to see from Staley is an improvement in defense next season especially on third downs and against the run. Even if we end only ranking 16th overall next year, we can contend for a title if everything stays the same. ST was much better once Roberts and Hopkins joined the team.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

These are good points. What we personally need to see from Staley is an improvement in defense next season especially on third downs and against the run. Even if we end only ranking 16th overall next year, we can contend for a title if everything stays the same. ST was much better once Roberts and Hopkins joined the team.
                        I agree. Where we end up on D next year is the real test. No excuses to perform poorly.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Absolutely.
                          I think it's too early to criticize this offseason, but we should expect significant results in both those areas next year.
                          My biggest concern on D is having a legitimate backup plan for if James misses time
                          Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

Working...
                          X