• Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

I still say Staley was not ready to be a head coach. This team should have been in the playoffs. It needed to be in the playoffs as part of the Herbert progression; he needed playoff experience this season so that starting in his third year he is ready for a Super Bowl run, like Burrow in Cincinnati. I contend that the reason this team is not in the playoffs is due to Staley's inexperience, being in over his head in his first season, not really ready for the job.

That said, I think I do have faith in Staley to blossom into a quality HC. I think. He really should have had five more years experience in the NFL before being handed a HC job. As a result of his inexperience, he is going through baptism under fire, learning on the job. I think his inexperience has set the franchise back a bit, at least a year, but in the long run it may turn out to be OK. Please, coach Staley, don't become another Josh McDaniels, that is my main concern. Learn, grow, win.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
      Outback Goon
      • Sep 2018
      • Australia
      • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post

And we went from 23rd to 30th... That is also significant. The Rams lost Brockers, Hill, and Johnson III on defense in 2021. Aaron Donald and Ramsey aren't the entire defense.
      Chargers also lost Philon, Hayward, Perryman....you know the guys who just beat us

so the comparison is:
      1st to 17th
      23rd to 30th

which is more significant?

Comment

• Riverwalk
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post
        Brandon Staley is in a position that no other Charger HC has been in since Marty Schottenhiemer. This team is a a few players a way from being superbowl contenders. We all know that the Run defense has been horrendous this season as it has been in past seasons we have 11 draft picks which we could use to our advantage and trade up and get a very good DL. Another thing that hurts this team is depth and you have the most cap space then any other team. But I am going to tell you the most important part that this team is missing and I know I'm the only one who thinks this is you need a number one back and I'm sorry but Eckler is not it. More specifically you need a power back, we have scat backs, you know shifty kind of runners but none of them that just gets that tough few yards. If you're going to be the kind of coach that Staley is and be aggressive and go for it on your own 18 yard line on 4th and 1 and you call a running play well you better have a RB who can get that 1 yard. Eckler is not that back. I love Eckler but he needs to go back to being a 3rd down back. I think he would actually be more dangerous if you just line him up everywhere, one play you have him in the slot then a few plays later he's lined up at rb and then you line him up at wr.
        Did you actually watch the plays Ekeler got stuffed? The OL got blown up and met Ekeler in the backfield. Jim Brown in his prime would have gone nowhere.

The fault wasn’t the RB. It was a OL formation that was overmatched at the LOS.

Conversely, our run defense is awful. not because we faced the greatest RB’s of all time week after week….but because opposing OL’s would blow holes in our DL play after,play the size of Mack trucks.

Comment

• Xenos
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          I still say Staley was not ready to be a head coach. This team should have been in the playoffs. It needed to be in the playoffs as part of the Herbert progression; he needed playoff experience this season so that starting in his third year he is ready for a Super Bowl run, like Burrow in Cincinnati. I contend that the reason this team is not in the playoffs is due to Staley's inexperience, being in over his head in his first season, not really ready for the job.

That said, I think I do have faith in Staley to blossom into a quality HC. I think. He really should have had five more years experience in the NFL before being handed a HC job. As a result of his inexperience, he is going through baptism under fire, learning on the job. I think his inexperience has set the franchise back a bit, at least a year, but in the long run it may turn out to be OK. Please, coach Staley, don't become another Josh McDaniels, that is my main concern. Learn, grow, win.
          I agree with the first part. Herbert should have actual playoff experience like Burrows.

Comment

I think they got lucky with Staley since if the basis was his defensive expertise..that was a mistake.

He turned out to be able to hire the right guys for the offense which was pretty good at times. But who knows...just like we thought highly of him with the Rams because of Donald, maybe we think highly of him offensively because of Herbert.

My only problem with him for now(he needs to bring in an old school defensive guy)...is that mentally...he just has a screw loose. Not sure how that will play out but lots of his decisions were clearly unsound.

"General: Well, you see Willard . . . In this war, things get confused out there, power, ideals, the old morality, practical military necessity. But out there with these natives, it must be a temptation to be god. Because there's a conflict in every human heart, between the rational and the irrational, between good and evil. And good does not always triumph. Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature. Every man has got a breaking point. You and I have one. Brandon Staley has reached his. And very obviously, he has gone insane."

Comment

• Xenos
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Hupperdoo View Post
              I think they got lucky with Staley since if the basis was his defensive expertise..that was a mistake.

He turned out to be able to hire the right guys for the offense which was pretty good at times. But who knows...just like we thought highly of him with the Rams because of Donald, maybe we think highly of him offensively because of Herbert.

My only problem with him for now(he needs to bring in an old school defensive guy)...is that mentally...he just has a screw loose. Not sure how that will play out but lots of his decisions were clearly unsound.

"General: Well, you see Willard . . . In this war, things get confused out there, power, ideals, the old morality, practical military necessity. But out there with these natives, it must be a temptation to be god. Because there's a conflict in every human heart, between the rational and the irrational, between good and evil. And good does not always triumph. Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature. Every man has got a breaking point. You and I have one. Brandon Staley has reached his. And very obviously, he has gone insane."
              Is his decisions unsound or you just don’t understand them?

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

Chargers also lost Philon, Hayward, Perryman....you know the guys who just beat us

so the comparison is:
                1st to 17th
                23rd to 30th

which is more significant?
                Missing the playoffs because you can't stop the run is more significant

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Agree with your post and especially the bolded. That was a huge missed opportunity and we had to lose 3 of our last 4 to miss. Horrible ending to a promising season. I am going to hope for the best with Staley as we have no choice and pray that he's not Josh. Although playing Murray over White and calling Murray the team's best cover LB is Josh-level delusion.

Comment

• chris9341
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Did you actually watch the plays Ekeler got stuffed? The OL got blown up and met Ekeler in the backfield. Jim Brown in his prime would have gone nowhere.

The fault wasn’t the RB. It was a OL formation that was overmatched at the LOS.

Conversely, our run defense is awful. not because we faced the greatest RB’s of all time week after week….but because opposing OL’s would blow holes in our DL play after,play the size of Mack trucks.
                    I have to respectfully disagree with you. Yes our O-line is horrible especially in short yardage situations however a really good power back can get you that tough 2 yards that you need even with a bad offensive line Eckler can't do that, he isn't that kind of back. As far as Jim Brown goes you could put a highschool O-line in front of him and he will get his yards. With our draft picks I'm calling it now we are taking DT with our first selection and then going O-line the next two and then bpa after that.

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

I get the feeling from the recent Staley press conference that he has a big say in who gets drafted or signed to the roster.
                      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Xenos
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                        I get the feeling from the recent Staley press conference that he has a big say in who gets drafted or signed to the roster.
                        I believe all our HC and their staff had a say. Guys like Palmer and McKitty were definitely because of Staley and Lombardi.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

Mike Florio at PFT on Staley and the timeout decision Sun night...

The Chargers have one of the best quarterbacks in football, which guarantees that they'll contend for postseason appearances for years to come.

T
                          he question for Staley, who was coaching at John Carroll when Bill Belichick successfully snookered Pete Carroll, becomes whether further reps and iterations will cause the young coach to abandon objectivity when something far less clear and specific tells him to do something other than the thing that a dispassionate commitment to process would require.

Comment

Working...
                          X