X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staley is a defensive coach?

Normally after the season is over..I am done...no reason to hang around till next year...BUT....something has been bugging me this year. I don't think I have seen a post about it so here it is..my last one...Supposedly Staley was hired partly because the Rams were highly ranked in defense...number 1 ranked if I am not mistaken. so after the hire we were all thinking..good change a defensive coach.

but what is bugging me...the charger defense is lousy. Last in the NFL against the run. Now you can say..well..the Rams have better players...well then...why hire the guy then? If it was just the players...isn't a great defensive coach supposed to make the defense better? It was just pitiful at times.

So that is my question. Should Staley be held accountable for being hired as a defensive coach...but not improving the defense? What is the deal with that...

Does everyone just love him because he uses analytics and goes for it on 4 from his own 18?

Why was he hired. Why did he not make our defense better. I mean you can say "better players with the rams" but..hey...we are LAST against the run. Reality check here. He is not what he was sold to be. IMO red flag. Just another guy.
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

t
    Originally posted by Hupperdoo View Post
    Normally after the season is over..I am done...no reason to hang around till next year...BUT....something has been bugging me this year. I don't think I have seen a post about it so here it is..my last one...Supposedly Staley was hired partly because the Rams were highly ranked in defense...number 1 ranked if I am not mistaken. so after the hire we were all thinking..good chance..a defensive coach.

but what is bugging me...the charger defense is lousy. Last in the NFL against the run. Now you can say..well..the Rams have better players...well then...why hire the guy then? If it was just the players...isn't a great defensive coach supposed to make the defense better? It was just pitiful at times.

So that is my question. Should Staley be held accountable for being hired as a defensive coach...but not improving the defense? What is the deal with that...

Does everyone just love him because he uses analytics and goes for it on 4 from his own 18?

Why was he hired. Why did he not make our defense better. I mean you can say "better players with the rams" but..hey...we are LAST against the run. Reality check here. He is not what he was sold to be.
    The argument by some here is that he shouldn't be held accountable, because he's trying to insert his defensive concepts with Gus Bradley's players.
    Further, due to the disaster that was the Oline last year (protecting the franchise qb), they gave priority in the off season to the offensive side of the ball...only bringing in Fackrell & Samuel Jr (excluding day 3 players) on defense.

According to them, during this off season they will emphasize bringing in Staley type players on defense.

Comment

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
      t

The argument by some here is that he shouldn't be held accountable, because he's trying to insert his defensive concepts with Gus Bradley's players.
      Further, due to the disaster that was the Oline last year, they gave priority in the off season to the offensive side of the ball...only bringing in Fackrell & Samuel Jr (excluding day 3 players).

According to them, during this off season they will emphasize bringing in Staley type players.
      I don't know man...if Bill Belichick came in..with the same players...would they improve? Staley was over-rated...bottom line....he just had Donald.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

I don't know man...if Bill Belichick came in..with the same players...would they improve? Staley was over-rated...bottom line....he just had Donald.
        The argument, again by some, is that Wade Phillips had those players & the Rams defense was not very good two years ago.
        This year, the Rams D has been average with his replacement....last i checked, they still have Donald / Ramsey and have added Von Miller.

BTW Hoodie would be in the Hall of Fame as a defensive coordinator if he didn't become a head coach.
        He's the very best of the best.

Comment

• AK47
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2019
          • Send PM

Too early to tell.

Last year the Pats ranked #26 against the run and gave up 17 rushing TDs. So.........the Pats spent tons of money (broke record for most guaranteed money) in FA. Much of which allowed Belicheck to get "his" players on defense among other positions. Result: This season the Pats gave up an NFL best rush 9 TDs.

For reference we gave up 22 rushing TDs in 2021. The defensive philosophies between Staley and the previous DC are pretty different. We've got the money to spend.......

Comment

• Charge!
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Rams have many great defensive players....on the line and secondary....... Ramsey is a shut down CB...... Donald is best DL in football.....

Comment

• Charge!
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Normally after the season is over..I am done...no reason to hang around till next year...BUT....something has been bugging me this year. I don't think I have seen a post about it so here it is..my last one...Supposedly Staley was hired partly because the Rams were highly ranked in defense...number 1 ranked if I am not mistaken. so after the hire we were all thinking..good change a defensive coach.

Why was he hired. Why did he not make our defense better. I mean you can say "better players with the rams" but..hey...we are LAST against the run. Reality check here. He is not what he was sold to be. IMO red flag. Just another guy.
              I would agree with some of those concerns.... but we need to give it some time....... Our best defender, Bosa, has said multiple times that this new defense has been challenging to learn......

another thing is that the Chargers played the fewest starters of any team in pre season to avoid injuries....my guess is that the chargers to prevent injuries, never tackled in practice so it affected ability to learn how to tackle...... which may be part of reason Chargers were worst tackling team in football......bad tackling makes you bad at stopping the run, containing QB's, and making stops on 3rd down

The biggest issue is the Chargers defense is still very short of talent starting and depth..... no shut down CB's, though Samuels has potential....... no dominating DT's or LBers..... we have 2 good starting safeties, a great DE in Bosa, and alot of JAG's...... (which means just a guy)....

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Re-watching the game, i'm getting really pissed off on how the defense is organized.

On a 2nd and 10, just saw them line up Kenneth Murray over the guard,
                have Covington outside of him, on the edge, with Joseph try to bull rush the other guard.
                A tight end chipped Covington into oblivion, but Murray actually bull rushed the double team and forced Carr to throw it out of bounds.

An earlier play in the 1rst Q, they had Murray chasing a receiver on a deep route and get badly beat- the overthrown ball.
                Remember how Tranquil was relieved because they weren't going to do that crap: the linebackers were going to attack.

On the tight end romp in the first, they had Murray seemingly responsible for the tight end and a back moving towards the flat.
                He didn't know which one to cover...they weren't going the same way.

Just saw Derwin, with outside leverage, get beat by a ham and egg tight end because there was no one in the middle

Sometimes, Nwosu is lined up so far outside that he'd need a taxi to make it to the qbs area code....what a waste.

Is Staley on crack!

Comment

• TTThunder
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

I think being a HC may be too much too early for him...

That's why it would be great to have someone he trusts to help him, like Vic Fangio as Defensive Assistant (and have him takeover on the defense duty so that Staley can focus more on overall... I would not be mad if he has more sayings on the offense (which I think is basic/conservative/not innovative)....)

Go Bolts!!!

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by TTThunder View Post
                    I think being a HC may be too much too early for him...

That's why it would be great to have someone he trusts to help him, like Vic Fangio as Defensive Assistant (and have him takeover on the defense duty so that Staley can focus more on overall... I would not be mad if he has more sayings on the offense (which I think is basic/conservative/not innovative)....)

Go Bolts!!!
                    Agree! Say what you want about not having 'his' players, Staley was not a very effective defensive coordinator this year,,,,,too many pots on the stove.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Renaldo Hill exists.

And I don't buy the excuses people make for him.

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

I would agree with some of those concerns.... but we need to give it some time....... Our best defender, Bosa, has said multiple times that this new defense has been challenging to learn......

another thing is that the Chargers played the fewest starters of any team in pre season to avoid injuries....my guess is that the chargers to prevent injuries, never tackled in practice so it affected ability to learn how to tackle...... which may be part of reason Chargers were worst tackling team in football......bad tackling makes you bad at stopping the run, containing QB's, and making stops on 3rd down

The biggest issue is the Chargers defense is still very short of talent starting and depth..... no shut down CB's, though Samuels has potential....... no dominating DT's or LBers..... we have 2 good starting safeties, a great DE in Bosa, and alot of JAG's...... (which means just a guy)....
                      People thought this was a really talented team. Not all people, there were those who knew better. But some people overrated the talent of this team. I called out on this two years ago when the team went 5-11. Last year I did a thread saying how the DL rotation sucks, how bad the DL is. So here we are now. More people realize these and have woken up. We heard how bad Bradley's scheme is when he was with LAC. He's not as bad as he is made out to be. We heard how it was all Rivers' fault in his last year with this franchise. He did well with the Colts and IND turn out to be failures this year. For the longest time this team's talent has been overrated. Now we see more people acknowledging the things I called out on.

This team was bad at tackling even before this. The defense needs better tackling LBs.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                        We Are The Storm!
                        • Aug 2018
                        • Send PM

Where did the Rams defense rank this year without Staley?Were they still #1?Because they still have Aaron Donald and Jaylen Ramsey there.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍