• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Parcells
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Someone else posted best plan for that I’ve seen, as it uses both draft stock and FA $$ we’ve already spent:

Fieler to RT
    Jaimes to RG
    I'm guessing you're actually thinking Jaimes to LG, or maybe you intend to address LG in free agency.

On the surface, this makes a ton of sense.

1. Feiler is essentially a sunk cost. (Sunk cost can have a negative connotation, and I don't intend for that. He was a great signing and a check mark in the don't fire Tom Telesco column.) He's gonna get paid the same if he plays LG or RT next. A RT will likely cost more in terms of free agency or draft capital than a LG.

2. There is some evidence that Fieler was a better RT in Pittsburgh than he was LG.

The thing that concerns me is the idea of the left side of the line being a unit, and that unit was awesome. I worry that we may struggle to replicate the excellence that we had on the left side. I'm not saying I'm vehemently against moving Feiler, just that this is a concern.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
      Outback Goon
      • Sep 2018
      • Australia
      • Send PM

left side aint broke

Comment

• Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Besides the fact that Fangio is one of the best DC in the league and can run our scheme, I have to ask why? It’s not like all the coaching changes have been bad. And no, he didn’t hire his friends. Do you know how the NFL works when it comes to creating a staff? Just be grateful his son isn’t DC like Belichick’s lol.
        As long as it's an older seasoned guy(Zimmer is my #1) I am good...just hire the best guy based on past performance.

Comment

• Parcells
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Which UFA OT would you like to sign?
          Morgan Moses
          Trent Brown
          Germain Ifedi

None are elite, but all are solid. And solid would be a serious upgrade.

Comment

• Xenos
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Hupperdoo View Post

As long as it's an older seasoned guy(Zimmer is my #1) I am good...just hire the best guy based on past performance.
            According to Vikings fans, his defense was as much a sieve as ours this year lol.

Comment

• Attack
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Good point. If u go for it on 4th down, MOST of the coaches in the NFL will dial up at LEAST some play that the defense hasn't seen...at least not that often...something with misdirection, motion, a play fake, ANYTHING but that mindless, predictable Ekkie up the gut vs. a stacked box for nada...
              The thing about the 3rd down and 4th down calls at the 18 or so yd line is that the runs were behind the strength of the O-line, and Ekeler wasn't able to get 2 or whatever yds for a first down. Those are 3 really good O-linemen from C-LG-LT, and Staley put his trust in them and Ekeler that they could convert. They just got beat.

The other thing I think about is whether Herbo has the authority to audible out of the play that is called, if he feels he can switch to a better play. Does he have that authority? If so, why didn't he call an audible?

Comment

• Attack
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I liked his answer
                He is not afraid to win games

Staley is building an attitude and a program. This was year 1 - have to start somewhere.
                I loved Staley's speech to the team the day after the Raider game. He said sometimes things don't go your way...... But they built a team this year, and next step is to build a champion. He's confident and has swagger, and I'm with him. Bolt Up!

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

Morgan Moses
                  Trent Brown
                  Germain Ifedi

None are elite, but all are solid. And solid would be a serious upgrade.
                  I’m scared of lazy Trent Brown. I wanted Moses at the beginning of the season but he couldn’t beat out Fant as RT on a really horrible OL with the Jets. Don’t know anything about Ifedi.

Comment

• Xenos
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Attack View Post

The thing about the 3rd down and 4th down calls at the 18 or so yd line is that the runs were behind the strength of the O-line, and Ekeler wasn't able to get 2 or whatever yds for a first down. Those are 3 really good O-linemen from C-LG-LT, and Staley put his trust in them and Ekeler that they could convert. They just got beat.

The other thing I think about is whether Herbo has the authority to audible out of the play that is called, if he feels he can switch to a better play. Does he have that authority? If so, why didn't he call an audible?
                    He has what they call an advantage play. It’s not a full audible. Like he can’t actually change it to a boot instead of a run. Here’s Popper’s explanation.

Examining the many reasons the Chargers' Justin Herbert has thrown the fourth-most short passes in the league this season.

3. An integral aspect of the Chargers offense is the advantage passing game. It was a staple of the Saints offensive scheme with Drew Brees, and Lombardi has brought those philosophies and concepts to Los Angeles. The Chargers will often have a run called at the line of scrimmage, but the play call will have an advantage passing tag. That means if Herbert gets to the line of scrimmage and sees, say, Mike Williams or Keenan Allen in a clear advantage situation, like one-on-one coverage, he can throw a pass instead of running the called rushing play. These throws tend to be quick, short throws on timing routes — horizontal throws to the edge, slants, fades. For Lombardi, these advantage throws are effectively an extension of the running game. They tend to be very efficient plays because they are exposing a clear advantage in coverage. But they also impact Herbert’s air yards and his number of short throws.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                      French Speaking Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Québec city
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Attack View Post

I loved Staley's speech to the team the day after the Raider game. He said sometimes things don't go your way...... But they built a team this year, and next step is to build a champion. He's confident and has swagger, and I'm with him. Bolt Up!
                      I can imagine that !

Comment

• Parcells
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I’m scared of lazy Trent Brown. I wanted Moses at the beginning of the season but he couldn’t beat out Fant as RT on a really horrible OL with the Jets. Don’t know anything about Ifedi.
                        I would assume that any of these guys could and would be signed to relatively low risk deals. Getting one of these guys is a reasonable stop gap, but doesn't preclude you from grabbing a right tackle in round 1 or 2 if the right guy falls to you.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
                          left side aint broke
                          It was against the Raiders. Slater’s worse game. If we’re judging Fieler by that game, maybe we should look at everybody.

Feiler, like Slater, has been pretty damn solid most of the season.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍