• Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    Not resigning MW is riskier than most think
    we can't keep stressing Herbert with new schemes, new receivers, new chemistry
    we need to support Herbert right now while we can afford to.
    I kniw we're all just thinking of different ways to support number 10 but he needs direct support.
    remember, he's evaluating us as a franchise as much as we are him, how devastating will it be personally for him to hear we didn't even franchise MW.

I'm the dude that didnt want him on his 5th year option, if we were going to move on, it would have been better last offseason (arguably).
    give Herbert Mike, a real RT and 15-20 carry RB and watch Herbert flourish
    Don’t forget the defense

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Don’t forget the defense
      Defense for sure: IDL, IDL, CB1 and Edge
      RT, RB also needed
      Punter as well

Lot of work

But if Telesco/Staley have an offseason like 2021 this Spring in 2022 - just different areas of focus - could be building a solid team. But Teleso needs to have a good solid offseason

And I kind of hope he doesn't follow the Steve Keim Arizona CArdinals sign a bunch of older players passed their prime model. Get players in their prime. Granted, it can't be all expensive players as the Chargers need depth. SO it will have to be a balancing act.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

According to ‘over the cap’ chargers have a staggering 28 FA of various types but 21 of them are UFA or completely unrestricted. Of the 21 UFA the following 6 are absolute must extend/resign players considering their youth and importance to the team, these guys represent 28% of the teams starters and are all ascending and established talent. Not one of them is a locker room problem and none will become highest paid at their position type guys. It’s really inexcusable that none were extended during the year as the team is working on an extension for derwin james ATM. They simply cannot allow any of these guys to walk but knowing the Spanos, they are probably considering letting 2-3 walk like they did with henry last year, so much for draft, develop, and resign.

must keep: Nwosu, Williams, White, Jones, Hopkins, and Aboushi

the next list falls under the category of ‘quality depth’ and this has been an area where clearly the Spanos have been cheap as heck, not keeping guys like this because an UDFA or a low rounder will cost 40-60% less but these salaries are already considered low by league standards so these folks will probably go provode another team with quality backups. These guys each and everyone should be brought back but I doubt more than 1-2 get resigned.

quality depth: Quessenberry, Anderson, Roberts, Ryan Smith, and Schofield

This next group are the retricted or exclusive rights free agents (RFA or ERFA) and it would be inexcusable to lose anyone of them if for no other reason than they are depth. By tendering them the chargers lose nothing as they can be cut before final cuts and none of their salary would be guaranteed. Not extending them simply creates more holes on the current roster that only has 33 players under contract going into 2022.

Should be tendered contracts: Guyton, Parham, Long, and Norton

Speaking of those 33 players currently signed on the roster. Some of those guys shouldn’t even be on the roster anymore so in reality the chargers only have like 28-29 guys signed thru next season that are even worth a roster spot!!! IMHO none of these guys belongs on a roster poised to make a run in 2022.

should not be on opening day roster: bulaga, kelley, roundtree, and damon lloyd

So the chargers currently have 68 million projected plus 9 more million rolled over plus the 9 additional million they’ll clear after cutting bulaga. I can’t imagine them writing him a roster bonus check next month for 2.5mil for basically playing 3 games worth of minutes over two seasons. The man has already pocketed 19.5mil for those two years and quite honestly didn’t earn any of it. That’s ~ 88mil in cap space for this offseason, there is no excuse, NONE,not to resign the 6 core guys or any of the depth pieces I listed above, but this is the Spanos and they love to say things like draft, develop, and resign. Thing is we haven’t truly seen that in practice since the AJ Smith days when they used to self scout properly and they extended their up and coming young guys early before their value got out of control. But now this ownership wants to pretend that they are the baltimore ravens getting compensatory picks year in and year out and finding inexpensive replacements in FA or successfully drafting replacements. The problem is they don’t draft anywhere near as good and FA are not willing to do for the chargers what they do for the Raven’s organization. The ravens routinely get veterans to sign for less or hold off signing deals until the FA window closes so that they won’t mess up their compensatory pick formula. When was the last time any free agent did that for the Spanos?

So we as fans are dealing with meddling delusional owners that view themselves in a different way than anyone else in the country does. So don’t be surprised if they let some of the must resigns walk even as they have tons of cap, then make one splash signing in FA and play the rest of free agency for compensatory picks in 2023. And once again the team will be paper thin depth-wise going into the 2022 season. I fully expect reports to come out from the chargers saying that so and so was being greedy in contract demands etc…

I hope it doesn’t come to pass but it won’t surprise me if they let half of those six guys walk in FA, truth is at least 1-2 should’ve already been extended before the offseason started. The Spanos are busy building new headquarters and have cash flow issues etc… I can only hope and pray that they are getting ready to sell the team by 2024
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
          According to ‘over the cap’ chargers have a staggering 28 FA of various types but 21 of them are UFA or completely unrestricted. Of the 21 UFA the following 6 are absolute must extend/resign players considering their youth and importance to the team, these guys represent 28% of the teams starters and are all ascending and established talent. Not one of them is a locker room problem and none will become highest paid at their position type guys. It’s really inexcusable that none were extended during the year as the team is working on an extension for derwin james ATM. They simply cannot allow any of these guys to walk but knowing the Spanos, they are probably considering letting 2-3 walk like they did with henry last year, so much for draft, develop, and resign.

must keep: Nwosu, Williams, White, Jones, Hopkins, and Aboushi

the next list falls under the category of ‘quality depth’ and this has been an area where clearly the Spanos have been cheap as heck, not keeping guys like this because an UDFA or a low rounder will cost 40-60% less but these salaries are already considered low by league standards so these folks will probably go provode another team with quality backups. These guys each and everyone should be brought back but I doubt more than 1-2 get resigned.

quality depth: Quessenberry, Anderson, Roberts, Ryan Smith, and Schofield

This next group are the retricted or exclusive rights free agents (RFA or ERFA) and it would be inexcusable to lose anyone of them if for no other reason than they are depth. By tendering them the chargers lose nothing as they can be cut before final cuts and none of their salary would be guaranteed. Not extending them simply creates more holes on the current roster that only has 33 players under contract going into 2022.

Speaking of those 33 players currently signed on the roster. Some of those guys shouldn’t even be on the roster anymore so in reality the chargers only have like 28-29 guys signed thru next season that are even worth a roster spot!!! IMHO none of these guys belongs on a roster poised to make a run in 2022.

should not be on opening day roster: bulaga, kelley, roundtree, and damon lloyd

So the chargers currently have 68 million projected plus 9 more million rolled over plus the 9 additional million they’ll clear after cutting bulaga. I can’t imagine them writing him a roster bonus check next month for 2.5mil for basically playing 3 games worth of minutes over two seasons. The man has already pocketed 19.5mil for those two years and quite honestly didn’t earn any of it. That’s ~ 88mil in cap space for this offseason, there is no excuse, NONE,not to resign the 6 core guys or any of the depth pieces I listed above, but this is the Spanos and they love to say things like draft, develop, and resign. Thing is we haven’t truly seen that in practice since the AJ Smith days when they used to self scout properly and they extended their up and coming young guys early before their value got out of control. But now this ownership wants to pretend that they are the baltimore ravens getting compensatory picks year in and year out and finding inexpensive replacements in FA or successfully drafting replacements. The problem is they don’t draft anywhere near as good and FA are not willing to do for the chargers what they do for the Raven’s organization. The ravens routinely get veterans to sign for less or hold off signing deals until the FA window closes so that they won’t mess up their compensatory pick formula. When was the last time any free agent did that for the Spanos?

So we as fans are dealing with meddling delusional owners that view themselves in a different way than anyone else in the country does. So don’t be surprised if they let some of the must resigns walk even as they have tons of cap, then make one splash signing in FA and play the rest of free agency for compensatory picks in 2023. And once again the team will be paper thin depth-wise going into the 2022 season. I fully expect reports to come out from the chargers saying that so and so was being greedy in contract demands etc…

I hope it doesn’t come to pass but it won’t surprise me if they let half of those six guys walk in FA, truth is at least 1-2 should’ve already been extended before the offseason started. The Spanos are busy building new headquarters and have cash flow issues etc… I can only hope and pray that they are getting ready to sell the team by 2024
          I am in agreement with the first group with the caveat for Mike Williams, do not franchise

The second group - quality depth - agree with this. Though Ryan Smith didnt play much with the injury, good veteran ST for cheap.

Players not on roster: there is no reason to cut Roundtree yet. The cap savings are nothing - so I bring him through camp. Same with Josh Kelley. No reason to cut him in March unless they are sure they are done with it. It won't produce cap savings though.

I think your cap numbers are a bit high. If using OTC - the 68m doesn't include the players signed to futures contracts last week but does include the 9m rolled over already.. Also need to include the draft class of 11 players. I think the actual cap numbers after: adding the futures players, adding salaries for the draft class (as these two groups of signings get the roster to 53) plus cutting Bulaga would put the numbers closer to $62m of pure cap space to bring back your own free agents and sign other teams free agents.

Comment

• Xenos
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Comment

• jox g
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBpZ0P2DQGQ A good piece on him. Had cancer (like Staley). Overcame w/ chemo and WORKED through it during time w/ Giants. Character. Has good philosophy. Proven. Giants were good consistently. JABRIL PEPPERS!!!!!!! (Bring him in...can play LB, SS, KOR, PR)!

Comment

• cmplxgal
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • New Jersey
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

You're probably right that Ty Long should be re-signed to a nonguaranted contract, but the Chargers need to upgrade at that position. I've been rooting for him because I think that, to some extent, he's been the victim of a bad punting team, but his punting, in and of itself, hasn't seemed to improve. If anything, I thought he was a little worse this season. And he's 28 (turning 29 on April 6), so he's probably not going to improve. Actually his gross punting average has declined the last two years, although that may be the result of more directional punting or shorter fields when punting:

Complete career NFL stats for New York Jets Punter Ty Long on ESPN. Includes scoring, rushing, defensive and receiving stats.

But overall he was 23rd in gross punting average this season:

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBpZ0P2DQGQ A good piece on him. Had cancer (like Staley). Overcame w/ chemo and WORKED through it during time w/ Giants. Character. Has good philosophy. Proven. Giants were good consistently. JABRIL PEPPERS!!!!!!! (Bring him in...can play LB, SS, KOR, PR)!
                  The only downside is that his ST unit was worse than ours last season. He does have more experience than Swinton though.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

The only downside is that his ST unit was worse than ours last season. He does have more experience than Swinton though.
                    Part of it is also personnel. Swinton was coaching a lot of rookies because of decisions by Telesco and injuries

Comment

• Xenos
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Part of it is also personnel. Swinton was coaching a lot of rookies because of decisions by Telesco and injuries
                      Actually if this Tweet is correct, then I’m completely wrong. Also if this is true, then the Giants ST got worse when Joe Judge joined their team lol.

Last edited by Xenos; 01-18-2022, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

You're probably right that Ty Long should be re-signed to a nonguaranted contract, but the Chargers need to upgrade at that position. I've been rooting for him because I think that, to some extent, he's been the victim of a bad punting team, but his punting, in and of itself, hasn't seemed to improve. If anything, I thought he was a little worse this season. And he's 28 (turning 29 on April 6), so he's probably not going to improve. Actually his gross punting average has declined the last two years, although that may be the result of more directional punting or shorter fields when punting:

Complete career NFL stats for New York Jets Punter Ty Long on ESPN. Includes scoring, rushing, defensive and receiving stats.

But overall he was 23rd in gross punting average this season:

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.
                        In 2021 Long was 32nd in net yds. That's a factor of hang time & coverage as well as leg strength but we can do better. We won't need to go for it on 4th & 4 in our own red zone.

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Charger Punter for 2022

There was talk amongst myself and some others yesterday that bold moves need to be taken when it comes to P.

Mock 21.0.png

Comment

Working...
                          X