• Bolt-O
    replied
    Why did this thread get bumped... putting a temp close on it

Leave a comment:

• 21&500
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
    LMAO

So yes we all know the bottom line. You are what your record says you are. blah blah blah.

I hate to start by making excuses but historically everyone knows about the curse of the injury bug. It has derailed us A LOT. That goes back long before TT.

TT has put some championship teams on the field only to be derailed by one thing or another.
    That leads to my criticism of TT. Coaching hires. He's chosen poorly hiring coaches. That's why I would support Payton at this time. It would be nice to have a HC with a title for once rather than the "up n comer" with great potential.

I am fine with his drafts. Again I will side with TT's peers. Other GM's and owners. They all voted TT #9 GM in the NFL.

0 division titles?

You do understand that 1 player is a big factor in the number right? Hint: He has game next week.

I'm not a fan boy of TT but who out there that is clearly better? IDK
    This is not an excuse and I understand you don't offer it as one, but this is a very real barrier.
    we are in division with greatness. PM+Kelce+Reid and formerly Hill = best core in NFL over that span.

Hate to admit it, but true.
    if KC were an average or even above average team, they don't win 7 straight AFCW titles, no doubt we win the few seasons we're healthy.

Leave a comment:

• cmplxgal
    replied

USA Today: Chargers' 2022 year-end awards: Picking MVP, Breakout Player of the Year and more

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/li...rue-tranquill/

Gavino Borquez
    January 25, 2023 9:13 am PT

The Chargers finished 10-7 and lost their first playoff game since 2018 in a season where they faced many injuries on both sides of the ball.

While many fans are ready to put this season to bed and focus on the offseason, it’s only right to reflect and hand out the season awards to certain players for their efforts on the field.

Most Valuable Player: QB Justin Herbert

The 24-year-old Herbert is coming off his third pro season in which he threw for 4,739 yards (second in the league) along with 25 touchdowns and a career-low in interceptions (10). While he might not have lit up the stat sheet as he did in his rookie and sophomore seasons, Herbert still put the team in a position to win weekly, despite dealing with fractured rib cartilage for most of the season, missing multiple starters throughout the year and being hamstrung by an offensive scheme that did not tailor to his strengths. Nevertheless, Herbert did take a massive leap as a leader of the team and solidified himself as the face of the franchise. And now it’s time for him to get paid like one.

Offensive Player of the Year: RB Austin Ekeler

Ekeler is arguably the most overlooked running back in the NFL, but the numbers do not lie. Ekeler had the most touchdowns this season (18). He had the most scrimmage yards (1,637) among running backs and was the first player with 100+ receptions, 10+ rushing and 5+ receiving touchdowns in the same season. Furthermore, Ekeler is now the franchise record holder in receptions in a single season with 107. The 27-year-old Ekeler benefited from Lombardi’s scheme that enforced a lot of short and underneath passes and the injuries to Keenan Allen and Mike Williams, which allowed Ekeler to have a hefty target share.

Defensive Player of the Year: CB Michael Davis

Talk about a massive turnaround. In his first season in Brandon Staley’s system, after getting a contract extension last offseason, Davis struggled to find his footing with the coverage concepts. As a result, he fell to being the fourth cornerback on the depth chart once this season began, losing his starting job to Asante Samuel Jr. But following a season-ending injury to J.C. Jackson, Davis was thrust back into a starting role and looked like a rejuvenated player, locking wide receivers down and getting his hands on the ball. In 12 games started, Davis had a career-high 15 passes defended. So what went from being pegged as a potential cap casualty this offseason turned into a possible contract extension for Davis.

Special Teams Player of the Year: K Cameron Dicker

If I could, I would give this award to special teams coordinator Ryan Ficken for coming and turning this unit into a strength of the team. But Dicker joined the team following injuries to Dustin Hopkins and Taylor Bertolet and was money. A two-time Special Teams Player of the Week and Player of the Month (December/January) winner, Dicker made 21-of-22 field goals (95.5 pct.) on the season, the best field goal percentage by a rookie kicker since the 1970 NFL-AFL Merger.

Rookie of the Year: G Zion Johnson

The Chargers’ 2022 rookie class did not see a lot of action this season, but they got significant contributions from their first-round pick. Johnson appeared in every game, playing 100% of the offensive snaps, except for Week 11 against the Raiders when he came off the field for 11% of the snaps due to a shoulder issue he experienced. Johnson had rookie growing pains, particularly in pass protection, as he was tasked to go up against elite competition. However, he was steadily strong as a run blocker alongside Trey Pipkins. He was the 15th-highest graded guard in run blocking and allowed five sacks and seven quarterback hits, according to Pro Football Focus.

Breakout Player of the Year: LB Drue Tranquill

Tranquill was close to going in the Defensive Player of the Year category instead of Davis, but his efforts are not going unnoticed. When Derwin James and Joey Bosa were out to their respective injuries, Tranquill, the man in the middle of the defense, stepped up as the leader of the group. Tranquill led the team in tackles with 146 and was second in tackles for loss (10). He was also viable in pass coverage, with four passes defended and an interception. Additionally, Tranquill came on as a blitzer, tied for third on the team in sacks with five. Linebacker is not a premium position in Staley’s system, as evident from the Chargers letting Kyzir White walk after an outstanding 2021 season. But Tranquill showed on the field that he is worthy of being kept around.

Leave a comment:

• cmplxgal
    replied

SI: Chargers' 2022 Draft Class Report Card: How Each Rookie Performed in Year One

https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news...-nfl-offseason

How did the Chargers' rookie class fare during the 2022 season?

Nicholas Cothrel
    3 hours ago

The Chargers' 2022 season has come to a close with the team finishing the regular season with a 10-7 record, reaching the playoffs for the first time in four years. However, the Chargers were unable to close out a 27-point lead over the Jaguars, ultimately dropping the game 31-30 after once holding a commanding lead.

With the season in the books, here's a look at the Chargers' draft class report card based on how each rookie performed in year one:

Round 1, Pick 17: RG Zion Johnson

Grade: B+

Johnson, the team's first pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, made all 17 starts at right guard, playing 1,184 offensive snaps. Johnson experienced his ups and downs as most rookies do, but his potential is abundantly clear. Johnson thrived in run blocking, posting a PFF grade of 69.5. As a pass blocker, he did't fare as well, logging a 52.6 PFF grade. By the season's end, he allowed five sacks, seven quarterback hits and 40 pressures to cap off his rookie year. The Chargers have expressed their satisfaction for Johnson's ability in what they ultimately believe he can develop into in the near future.

Round 3, Pick 79: S JT Woods

Grade: D

Woods was a project when the Chargers selected him with their first pick on Day 2 of the NFL Draft, and he still remains a development. Woods has blazing speed, whose calling card is operating in the deep part of the field. However, his tackling ability has caused him troubles, limiting the time he saw on the field as a rookie. Woods played just 31 defensive snaps, primarily serving as a special teams contributor this past season. Adding strength to his frame and working on tackling fundamentals will be key factors in Woods taking the next step in his development.

Round 4, Pick 123: RB Isaiah Spiller

Grade: C-

Spiller's evaluation of his rookie season isn’t an easy one. When given an opportunity, he showed encouraging signs as a rusher. It also appeared he took positive strides as a pass blocker, something he struggled doing at Texas A&M. However, he had a difficult time seeing snaps on a regular occasion, being buried on the depth chart and often was a healthy scratch on game days. Spiller appeared in six games, handling 16 carries for 41 yards and three receptions for 13 receiving yards.

Round 5, Pick 160: DL Otito Ogbonnia

Grade: B

Ogbonnia's rookie season was cut short following a patella tendon rupture in Week 10. Prior to his devastating blow, Ogbonnia's snap count on a per game basis had started to increase and he began really coming on strong. He finished the year playing seven games, logging 14 tackles and one quarterback hit, but Ogbonnia showed why the coaching staff was so optimistic about him, particularly in what he offers as a run-stuffer.

Round 6, Pick 195: OL Jamaree Salyer

Grade: B+

Salyer, given his draft slot and how much he contributed as a rookie, was tremendous this season. Initially drafted as a guard, Salyer switched to tackle, the position he played in college, following Rashawn Slater's torn biceps injury. Salyer took over the starting role at left tackle in Week 4 and didn’t look back, exceeding any prior notions that led to him being a Day 3 selection in the 2022 NFL Draft. In totality, he logged 989 offensive snaps, allowing five sacks, 10 quarterback hits and 46 pressures. Salyer didn’t commit his first sack until the seventh start he made, keeping Herbert upright in the pocket for the first month and a half. General manager Tom Telesco said at his end-of-season press conference that Salyer has earned the opportunity to start in the NFL, but was noncommittal regarding the position he would line up at in 2023.

Round 6, Pick 214: CB Ja'Sir Taylor

Grade: C-

Taylor began the year exclusively as a special teams player, but as the season went on, he carved out a role for himself. His first defensive snap didn't come until Week 11, but he finished the year with 188 on the season. Down the back-half of the schedule, Taylor made three starts and split time with Asante Samuel Jr. when the Chargers wanted stronger support against the run on the field. Taylor is a fundamentally sound tackler, but did have his breakdowns at times when dropping back in coverage. Taylor also offers position versatility, having the ability to play along the boundary and inside at nickel cornerback.

Round 7, Pick 236: CB Deane Leonard

Grade: N/A

Leonard's rookie campaign is a difficult one to grade since he played just four defensive snaps. His main contributions came on special teams in which he totaled five tackles and one forced fumble.

Round 7, Pick 260: FB Zander Horvath

Grade: C

Horvath, the Chargers' final pick, initially looked to have a role in the receiving game early on, before his production declined. Horvath caught a touchdown pass in each of his first two NFL games of his rookie campaign, but caught just two additional passes from Week 3 to the end of the season. Horvath is a versatile player, offering steady support as a blocker and core special teams player in addition to his pass-catching ability.​

Leave a comment:

• SAY OW 55
    replied
    Look facts this is a division of Mahomes vs. Herbert.

the raiders are not a factor. They’ll get an aging Tom Brady they are more concerned with being cheap saving money. They don’t want to draft a young superstar Quarterback like CJ Stroud. He would be a home run. Adam’s is great but whose throwing to him????

that’s where Devonte Adam’s fucked up. He should’ve forced a trade to the Chargers.

this team can be special. Telesco had great draft picks so I evaluate him on draft picks

Derwin James Joey Bosa Asante Samuel Jr. Rashawn Slater Justin Herbert Austin Eckler Zion Johnson Joshua Palmer Guyton

Leave a comment:

• SuperCharged
    replied
    LMAO

So yes we all know the bottom line. You are what your record says you are. blah blah blah.

I hate to start by making excuses but historically everyone knows about the curse of the injury bug. It has derailed us A LOT. That goes back long before TT.

TT has put some championship teams on the field only to be derailed by one thing or another.
    That leads to my criticism of TT. Coaching hires. He's chosen poorly hiring coaches. That's why I would support Payton at this time. It would be nice to have a HC with a title for once rather than the "up n comer" with great potential.

I am fine with his drafts. Again I will side with TT's peers. Other GM's and owners. They all voted TT #9 GM in the NFL.

0 division titles?

You do understand that 1 player is a big factor in the number right? Hint: He has game next week.

I'm not a fan boy of TT but who out there that is clearly better? IDK

Leave a comment:

• Lefty2SLO
    replied
    Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Thank you

this is only thing that matters
    His record sucks and he is a lousy GM and after 30 years in and around the NFL - he will never be a good GM
    I want him too - but he won't be - he just isn't that good at his job. He started as an intern with the Bills in 1991 - 32 years later - GM going on his 11th year
    Its just not there for the guy - he doesn't get it. He doesn't understand how to build a roster, how to have an identity

When I mention the Steelers, Ravens and Seahawks - I bring those teams up because they seem to have an identity of how they play, the players they draft.
    There's so much more to winning games in the NFL than just having good players; coaching, HEALTH, plain old good fortune (luck). Good players are the base line - the starting point. We have better individual players than Jacksonville, but failed anyway (coaching, health, chargering).

Wins & losses may not be the best benchmark for any GM's evaluation (particularly with this team and ownership).

He doesn't get a pass from me - there are many things he needs to do to improve, but I do NOT see Tom Telesco as the primary reason this team doesn't win more.

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied
    That dont look great i agree but Doug Peterson for example will add a division title to his resume with a worse record in a shit division. Its going to be tough to surplant Mahomes and Reed.

Also Tomlin has never had a losing record but he has plenty of 8-8, 9-7 seasons. That would be grounds for a loud dismisal here. The Steelers havent had a good OL for some time now. They get by on defense.

So crickets on Seattles awesome drafts rounds 3 thru 5? Thought so.

Leave a comment:

• Bolt4Knob
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
    Thank you

this is only thing that matters
    His record sucks and he is a lousy GM and after 30 years in and around the NFL - he will never be a good GM
    I want him too - but he won't be - he just isn't that good at his job. He started as an intern with the Bills in 1991 - 32 years later - GM going on his 11th year
    Its just not there for the guy - he doesn't get it. He doesn't understand how to build a roster, how to have an identity

When I mention the Steelers, Ravens and Seahawks - I bring those teams up because they seem to have an identity of how they play, the players they draft.

Leave a comment:

• Boltgang74
    replied
    Screenshot_20230118-204711_Facebook.jpg

Leave a comment:

• SuperCharged
    replied

Look at the records of the Chiefs and Chargers since Andy went to KC and Telesco went to the Chargers. The Chiefs are better
    look at the sTeelers with TOmlin - never a season under .500
    look at the RAvens with Newsome to DeCosta with harbaugh
    I don't want to comapre Telesco to Steve Keim as Steve Keim is not good.
    Hell the combo in Seattle of John Scheider and Pete Carroll - pretty damn good

Telesco doesn't deserve a pass -he is part of the problem. His drafting in rounds 3-5 is pathetic,
    He has traded up four times- do not recall trying to get more picks by trading back - and those four trades ups - not very good. Te'O, Attauocho, Gordon and Murray

This isn't about a bust pick here, a bust pick there. Its about the record - thats all that matters. Look at the record. Its below average.
    Ummm Reid is a HC not a GM. So that invalid to compare the 2. Otherwise we could compare to JH to Justin Jefferson.
    Tomlin again is a HC TT is not AND that is a product of a coaching staff. Steelers have a solid coaching system.
    Ravens? What have they done? Nothing. We bounced them out of 2018 playoff's as big underdogs.

The flaw in your thinking is you can cherry pick your comparables. But the bottom line is TT is an above average GM. In a poll of other GM's they put him as 9th best in the NFL. Those are from other GM's and owners.

TT should have played the 2nd half against the Jag's maybe we wouldn't have blown the biggest lead in Charger history.

You just can't please some people.

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied

Look at the records of the Chiefs and Chargers since Andy went to KC and Telesco went to the Chargers. The Chiefs are better
    look at the sTeelers with TOmlin - never a season under .500
    look at the RAvens with Newsome to DeCosta with harbaugh
    I don't want to comapre Telesco to Steve Keim as Steve Keim is not good.
    Hell the combo in Seattle of John Scheider and Pete Carroll - pretty damn good.

Telesco doesn't deserve a pass -he is part of the problem. His drafting in rounds 3-5 is pathetic,
    He has traded up four times- do not recall trying to get more picks by trading back - and those four trades ups - not very good. Te'O, Attauocho, Gordon and Murray

This isn't about a bust pick here, a bust pick there. Its about the record - thats all that matters. Look at the record. Its below average.

All you do is complain about Telescos drafting like he is the only one who drafts players in round 3 thru 5 that dont pan out.

Do some damn research. He isn't as bad as some of you say. Assuming don't cut it.

You just called Pete Carroll and Schneider "pretty damn good".
    They had 4 third round picks in 2017 and only one was worth a shit.

Is this fucking good? I'm going back 10 years. I think TT is just as good. At least lately. He wasn't good early but we got Keenan in his first draft.

And let's not forget, they traded us a third for Clipboard Jesus.

And there are GMs worse than Seattle had been and worse than us.

Screenshot_20230121-175405.png

Screenshot_20230121-175345.png

Screenshot_20230121-175216.png

Screenshot_20230121-175149.png
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-21-2023, 06:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X