• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chargeroo
    replied
    Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    Zion Johnson for example.
    We will now successfully convert on 4th down.
    I too have thought about that - being able to run to either side and gain positive yardage will make a difference in converting the third and fourth downs to first downs. We may also have a big back to use for those situations.

Leave a comment:

• wu-dai clan
    replied
    Zion Johnson for example.
    We will now successfully convert on 4th down.

Leave a comment:

• sonorajim
    replied
    Originally posted by The Intellectual Assassin View Post
    Make no mistake it will not be an easy thing by any means for us to make the playoffs. Do we have the roster and the coaches to do so? Absolutely. But last season we did also and we all know how that worked out. With that being said, I am feeling good about this season and think we can make some noise if everyone plays to their potential.

Very though division as is the norm so have to be on A game always.
    Last season gave us perspective. Staley was not great at playing his D system with Bradley's players and not much depth. Lack of quality depth on OL and RB also became an issue. Special Teams were especially bad.
    That seems to have been addressed. One thing for sure, Staley got hands on experience with the Chargers, the AFCW and being a HC.
    I don't believe player names are all that have changed.

Leave a comment:

• wu-dai clan
    replied
    If you like our personnel...
    that is a Staley production
    through and through.

Leave a comment:

• sonorajim
    replied
    Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I'm not sure our HC is great. I do think the players they brought in will help a lot. Not just the guys expected to start but also the depth looks way better. I'm convinced we have the players, I'm ready to be convinced our HC is up to the task. I sure like his talk but can he turn the team into a playoff team? I think he can but I want to see it happen.
    Agree. Staley looks & talks what seems like the right stuff. Worth noting that Telesco is on board regards coaching & player personnel decisions.
    Now, show us what you have. Make the playoffs. Make some noise when we get there.
    If we don't win a SB at least scare the heck out of somebody who does.

Nah. Just win.
    At that point Staley will be a great Chargers HC.

Leave a comment:

• wu-dai clan
    replied
    Last year, key injuries did us in, as the season moved along.

Now, we are only beginning to build depth, with "Staley type" personnel.

Leave a comment:

• chargeroo
    replied
    Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Right so the Chargers should do the exact same because we have a GREAT HC and we have star players, so since we have both the playoffs are our destiny. . .

PS both those teams you mentioned had great HC's therefore, if we don't make the playoffs this year our HC and his staff doesn't have the right stuff.
    I'm not sure our HC is great. I do think the players they brought in will help a lot. Not just the guys expected to start but also the depth looks way better. I'm convinced we have the players, I'm ready to be convinced our HC is up to the task. I sure like his talk but can he turn the team into a playoff team? I think he can but I want to see it happen.

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I think we expected good things last season especially after the 4-1 start. But I think the record also reflects our roster problems. This has to be the year we go deep in the playoffs given all the things we addressed.
    Agree, the depth wasnt good and defensive players not good fits. We have a lot of young defensive additions in the secondary so hopefully we dont have a lot of injuries back there and hope guys like Webb step up.
    My guess is some guys wont make the team like Egbule, Gilman, and Keman Hall, possibly Campbell. We'll see but some wont be back or they will be on the PS.

Leave a comment:

• Xenos
    replied
    Originally posted by The Intellectual Assassin View Post
    Make no mistake it will not be an easy thing by any means for us to make the playoffs. Do we have the roster and the coaches to do so? Absolutely. But last season we did also and we all know how that worked out. With that being said, I am feeling good about this season and think we can make some noise if everyone plays to their potential.

I think we expected good things last season especially after the 4-1 start. But I think the record also reflects our roster problems. This has to be the year we go deep in the playoffs given all the things we addressed.

Leave a comment:

• The Intellectual Assassin
    replied

Leave a comment:

• electricgold
    replied
    Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Really? Where were you when the Bucs added free agents and went from a mediocre team to a SB winner. Where were you when the Rams did the same thing?
    Right so the Chargers should do the exact same because we have a GREAT HC and we have star players, so since we have both the playoffs are our destiny. . .

PS both those teams you mentioned had great HC's therefore, if we don't make the playoffs this year our HC and his staff doesn't have the right stuff.

Leave a comment:

• electricgold
    replied
    Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

I think you have the cause and effect reversed. The team that wins usually has the better coach. Do you think Zach Taylor is a better coach than Andy Reid? It's weird how Billicheck always won the close games with Brady and Arians couldn't until he got Brady. Andy Reid couldn't win the big one until he got Mahommes. I think we ascribe good coaching to good results most of the time.

Close games can go either way and it just depends on a bounce or two. Coaching makes a difference, players make a difference, but in a close game so much is just plain luck. I think a key strategy is to avoid close games when possible. Don't get too conservative and put too much on the defense too early. That was a classic Anthony Lynn move. We should have had so many games that were 10-14 point wins and turned into 1-2 point wins or losses because he coached to win close games instead of winning blowouts. All teams will have close games in the playoffs, but playing to win the games instead of not losing them will keep you out of close games and unnecessary losses in the regular season and get us into the playoffs.
    You need both. A good coach and great players usually wins it all. This year the Rams beat the bengals in the bowl. The better coach won, I would say its close but the bengals had the better QB!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X