• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I still don't get why they didn't go for 2. It was one play, two yards, win or go home.
    That didn't make any sense to me He went from his own 18 but didn't go for two
    That was the time of the game when you have a play in your backpocket for all year and you bring it out like Arians did in the playoffs with the CArdinals against Packers and the shovel pass to Fitz... BA said he had that play since training camp
    1. Staley estimated their chances to be less than 50%: the offense was not running smoothly by that point and Herbert was constantly bailing them out on 4rth down
    2. There was a decent possibility of a tie in OT
    3. Staley didn't want to have to face the shit storm if they failed.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

1. Staley estimated their chances to be less than 50%: the offense was not running smoothly by that point and Herbert was constantly bailing them out on 4rth down
      2. There was a decent possibility of a tie in OT
      3. Staley didn't want to have to face the shit storm if they failed.
      All very true

Comment

• Xenos
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

All very true
        On an interesting side note, it should be pointed out that someone like John Harbaugh and his decision to go for 2 at the end of certain games this year for the win was not based on analytics. It was more a gut feeling. Obviously both times failed even though the logic made sense at the time given how badly injured his defense was. I think the analytics suggested to kick the extra point instead.

Comment

• Xenos
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

One of the things that gripes me about Staley is, if yer going to go for it on 4th down in our OWN territory, at LEAST come up with a more creative play than Ekkie up the gut against a stacked box for nada...and Staley/Lombo dialed up a LOT of predictable plays on 4th down during the season that epic failed...at LEAST dial up something creative, for crying out loud...at the very least, Herbie fakes to Ekkie up the gut, and Herbie bootlegs it around the left side for an easy first down...SMH...
          You’re right in this regard. But remember that all analytics does is give you a binary choice of going for it or not. You still need to pick the right plays and execute. It’s like running the ball against a weak run defense. It’s common sense to do something like that. But if you fail, was it wrong to run? Or did you just picked the wrong plays to run against said weak defense?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

On an interesting side note, it should be pointed out that someone like John Harbaugh and his decision to go for 2 at the end of certain games this year for the win was not based on analytics. It was more a gut feeling. Obviously both times failed even though the logic made sense at the time given how badly injured his defense was. I think the analytics suggested to kick the extra point instead.
            When thinking about overtime... I think of it this way
            coin toss
            if you get the ball, the pressure is really on to score - so its almost four down territory anyway
            if you play defense, you have to make a few good plays, or more, to get a punt
            thats a lot of plays you have to WIN to win the game

this was just two yards, win or go home
            i get why he kicked the XP - but when I saw the score my first thought was "go for two"

And Harbaugh against the Steelers - good play call - similar to the Jared Cook against hte Chiefs at the goal line - Andrews walks in with a little better pass - granted Watt forced the pass

now I am just ready for the offseason of free agency and draft planning. though I will watch some games this week end

Comment

• DennisR91
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2021
              • Send PM

Like to see

teamball by committee
              whole roster gets pt
              backups get rotation

bandy quick feet welker like
              6 wr on roster
              roberts gets wr reps not just returns

f it draft that Aztecs kid lol

free agency to fill holes
              draft for depth

Comment

• Xenos
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
                Thread seems to have gone off the rails. If we just want to piss and moan, let's retitle the thread and bitch away. Trust me, I get the desire/need. I was at Allegiant and had to suffer all those Raider fans. I fully intend to be back for the 2022 game there and expect Herbert to do his best John Wick impersonation.

But if the purpose of this thread is to look forward to 2022 (which I think it should be), let's discuss the stuff we want to see happen.

As much as I want to see the defense fixed, I still see solidifying RT as vitally important because protecting #10 should be our #1 priority.
                Yes on RT!

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Some more trencher analytics. Actually did better at run blocking than pass protection.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Birmingham AL
                    • Send PM

You’re right in this regard. But remember that all analytics does is give you a binary choice of going for it or not. You still need to pick the right plays and execute. It’s like running the ball against a weak run defense. It’s common sense to do something like that. But if you fail, was it wrong to run? Or did you just picked the wrong plays to run against said weak defense?
                    That the call to go for it was based on the numbers but the actual play call was a dumb shit show.

Comment

• Xenos
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

That the call to go for it was based on the numbers but the actual play call was a dumb shit show.
                      In this case, we should have left it in Herbert’s hands.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Birmingham AL
                        • Send PM

In this case, we should have left it in Herbert’s hands.
                        Indeed.

I also thought we should have gone for 2 at the end of regulation, they were demoralized after giving up that TD on the last play. They had time to regroup, watch their O score a FG in OT and rest. Run right up and make a passing play call for Herbert on a spread formation, (not a bunch formation and make the Turds cover the entire field) on a roll out that would really put the pressure on the D.

Comment

• Berserker76
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Send PM

Hope there is a franchise RT for us at #17. Herbert's a beast, and give him even a little more time with a balanced Oline and he will really shine. Not to mention some real options in the run game. I know our defense is a real problem, but would like to see the Oline overhaul completed if such a RT exists. Spend the majority of remaining picks on defense. Herbert's a gift, and protecting him should be job #1. Herbert doesn't need a top-shelf defense to get us a SB win, but he does need a competent one.

Comment

Working...
                          X