A fan can dream.

Comment

• FoutsFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Birmingham AL
      • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
      Herbert prefers out breaking routes. Williams isn't great at running out breaking routes, and is more a deep or crossing route guy.

They have chemistry on certain routes (like the corner route away from the bootleg concept) but Herbert needs to grow more accurate and confident on routes Williams is good at (like the hinge route in OT vs Raiders) to maximize his value. I think it can happen.
      I think it would be safer to say Lombardi prefers out breaking routes as he is the one calling the plays.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
        The Chiefs only scored 6 more points than us. But we have up 85 more points than they did.
        Yet we were in it in how many games? We won five one-score games and lost five one-score games. Need to do better than .500 in those battles to make it to the playoffs, Steve makes a compelling argument to improve the O for just that reason (also not ignoring the D, which needs a lot more help than the O).

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Yet we were in it in how many games? We won five one-score games and lost five one-score games. Need to do better than .500 in those battles to make it to the playoffs, Steve makes a compelling argument to improve the O for just that reason (also not ignoring the D, which needs a lot more help than the O).
          Would be nice to not have shootouts with inferior teams. Can't let the Texans score 41 and we weren't in that game at all.
          The defense needs to be improved a lot.

We all know we need a RT, RB, RG so I'm not ignoring that but the defense needs much more improvement.
          11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
          35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
          37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
          66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
          69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
          100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
          110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
          140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
          181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
          225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

In terms of shoring up the run defence my thinking is it's very rare to draft a Dlineman that can hit the ground running and especially a NT and 3/4 DE. They have some good NT free agents that can potentially hit free agency one from the Rams another from the Jets. Both well regarded run defenders. If you want to make a dramatic improvement rather than developing I rookie, I would think going to free agency would be a faster way to make improvements.
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Would be nice to not have shootouts with inferior teams. Can't let the Texans score 41 and we weren't in that game at all.
              The defense needs to be improved a lot.

We all know we need a RT, RB, RG so I'm not ignoring that but the defense needs much more improvement.
              Agree D needs more help, a lot more.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                In terms of shoring up the run defence my thinking is it's very rare to draft a Dlineman that can hit the ground running and especially a NT and 3/4 DE. They have some good NT free agents that can potentially hit free agency one from the Rams another from the Jets. Both well regarded run defenders. If you want to make a dramatic improvement rather than developing I rookie, I would think going to free agency would be a faster way to make improvements.
                YES.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2021
                  • Send PM

I know I’ve been banging the table for BJ Hill. Just not sure if Cincy will let him walk. So my alternative is SJD and either Fatukasi or Tim Settle on top of resigning Justin Jones and Nwosu. Then draft Travon Walker at 17. Then in 2023, sign DT Daron Payne. There, your Dline is completely fortified after 2 years. Your welcome!!!! ;} ;} ;}

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
                    I know I’ve been banging the table for BJ Hill. Just not sure if Cincy will let him walk. So my alternative is SJD and either Fatukasi or Tim Settle on top of resigning Justin Jones and Nwosu. Then draft Travon Walker at 17. Then in 2023, sign DT Daron Payne. There, your Dline is completely fortified after 2 years. Your welcome!!!! ;} ;} ;}

B.J. Hill contract and salary cap details, full contract breakdowns, salaries, signing bonus, roster bonus, dead money, and valuations.

BJ Hill is a tough guy on find tape on, so I went back to his Wolfpack tape. I'll get a change to watch him on Sunday. Sounds fun.

Comment

• Xenos
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

I think it would be safer to say Lombardi prefers out breaking routes as he is the one calling the plays.
                      Maybe. But Lombardi also tries to build things that the QB likes also. So perhaps both prefer it?

Comment

• equivocation
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

On film Herbert shows a clear preference for out routes and will target them before others. Williams ran plenty of post/over/hinge type routes, Herbert didn't look there.

Williams rarely lines up in the slot. When we were in a tight formation he would run corner routes at most. Very few out routes of any depth.

Lombardi does not decide where to throw the ball. There were few calls that ONLY had out or dig type routes.

Herbert's growth will be targeting these other in breaking routes more, especially vs cover 2. His preference for out routes was part of the reason cover 2 gave him struggles.

Now, a lack of speed between Allen and Williams meant that they often took longer to get to those intermediate breaks. That has to be addressed at WR or RT.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Some of Herbert's preferences for out routes may be the lack of talent inside. Rivers threw a lot more outside after Gates retired. I expect Herbert would throw more inside if we had better slot and TE players running those routes.

Comment

Working...
                          X