• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet 1
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Kauai
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
    Many years ago, when my first wife died, I purchased two plots at the cemetery. Yesterday I went out there to make arrangements for my own burial. I picked the lowest-priced casket they have and opted for no funeral, just pick up my body, put it in the casket, and bury me in the plot that's already for. Are you ready for this - that costs just a little under $9,000! If you want to have a viewing and a graveside service, the price soars! If I had made these same arrangements twenty-five years ago when I purchased the plots the cost would have been less than $3,000. There's a lesson there!
    Dude this is just so rough for me to read. I hate that you have to do this sort of stuff. Im not a fan of shopping to begin with. But those are some items i hope i never have to buy. lol More power to you brother. I just think i might view my own demise differently when its time....just based on your own courage and acceptance of reality. Ive learned a lot over the years about football here...but nobody has ever taught me so much about honor and dignity. And courage. About life and the things that really matter.

So much love for you brother. I know i speak for the rest of us here.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Many years ago, when my first wife died, I purchased two plots at the cemetery. Yesterday I went out there to make arrangements for my own burial. I picked the lowest-priced casket they have and opted for no funeral, just pick up my body, put it in the casket, and bury me in the plot that's already for. Are you ready for this - that costs just a little under $9,000! If you want to have a viewing and a graveside service, the price soars! If I had made these same arrangements twenty-five years ago when I purchased the plots the cost would have been less than $3,000. There's a lesson there!
      My mother did this when my younger sister died suddenly in 1982. We buried our mother next to our sister nine years later. My father's cremated remains are a short distance away.

Comment

• MasterOfPuppets
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Tijuana
        • Send PM

Many years ago, when my first wife died, I purchased two plots at the cemetery...
        You said "first wife" implying that there is at least a second wife, how would that work out with her? (I'm on wife #2 myself)

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Originally posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
          You said "first wife" implying that there is at least a second wife, how would that work out with her? (I'm on wife #2 myself)
          She (Arlene) also was married to her first spouse for 43 years, the same as me. She and I both understand the desire to be buried next to the one we spent that many years with and it's best for our family too.

I'll tell you this, I couldn't find a better person to look after me as I fight cancer than Arlene. She has great faith and her strong faith is an asset for both of us.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

Dude this is just so rough for me to read. I hate that you have to do this sort of stuff. Im not a fan of shopping to begin with. But those are some items i hope i never have to buy. lol More power to you brother. I just think i might view my own demise differently when its time....just based on your own courage and acceptance of reality. Ive learned a lot over the years about football here...but nobody has ever taught me so much about honor and dignity. And courage. About life and the things that really matter.

Thanks for all your prayers and kind words.

I decided to do this to spare Arlene the pain. I remember how hard all of this was for me when Jo died and just didn't want to put Arlene through it. I found it much easier to do it for myself than it was to do for my wife.

It also helps that deep down inside I'm not convinced that the doctor is right about how much time I have left. They think I'm getting very close to my departure date but I think I don't feel that bad yet. I am getting weaker but I can still walk with the help of the walker. I'd sure like to have one more season of Charger football.

I also have a good attitude about it - I trust God is still in charge and I'll be here as long as he wants me here and I'll go to Heaven on the very moment he want's me there. So, it's all in his control. I'm ready either way.
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Fleet 1
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Kauai
              • Send PM

I decided to do this to spare Arlene the pain. I remember how hard all of this was for me when Jo died and just didn't want to put Arlene through it. I found it much easier to do it for myself than it was to do for my wife.

It also helps that deep down inside I'm not convinced that the doctor is right about how much time I have left. They think I'm getting very close to my departure date but I think I don't feel that bad yet. I am getting weaker but I can still walk with the help of the walker. I'd sure like to have one more season of Charger football.

I also have a good attitude about it - I trust God is still in charge and I'll be here as long as he wants me here and I'll go to Heaven on the very moment he want's me there. So, it's all in his control. I'm ready either way.
              I would expect nothing less from you. You are as solid as it gets my man.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

In the bible it says to give thanks to God for all good things that come to you. I'd be thankful to God if the Chargers made it to the Super Bowl.

If you got to witness the team at least make it there before you go, would it be a gift to you?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

Aye!

Well put Fleet

Comment

• Bolts&noles
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Iam trying to read a msg Roo sent me in my inbox.
                    Not sure if I opened it right?
                    Seems like I can't read the whole msg.
                    just want to see what the man of christ has to say.

Comment

• Bolts&noles
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

I should have mentioned this - I made furniture and clocks and anything people wanted to be made of wood. People used to ask what I made and my wife quickly answered "sawdust". She thought it was a cute joke. Now, it turns out that all that sawdust I breathed in back then is likely what caused this lung cancer. So if you are into making sawdust, wear a mask.

Also worth mentioning, I have hospice care now. It's a wonderful service. They take care of all my medical needs, including medicine, at no cost to me. Nurses come twice a week and more if needed. They have a Doctor they can call 24 hours a day. They even offer spiritual and therapeutic help for the family. It's hard on the wife watching her husband slowly going downhill so I'm happy she can get some help from the hospice people. If you ever get in this position, don't be afraid of hospice care!
                      I actually wear a mask at work now when it's dusty, saw dust etc...
                      I work in remolding.
                      Only time I will wear one.
                      Thanks for the advice.
                      I respect your knowledge.
                      God bless brother.
                      I haven't been on here but I think I might have missed a msg from you.
                      I think it's a important one?

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts&noles View Post

I actually wear a mask at work now when it's dusty, saw dust etc...
                        I work in remolding.
                        Only time I will wear one.
                        Thanks for the advice.
                        I respect your knowledge.
                        God bless brother.
                        I haven't been on here but I think I might have missed a msg from you.
                        I think it's a important one?
                        I don't know why you didn't receive the entire message but I sometimes have trouble with this message system too.

I'll copy it into here for you - I hope the non-believers won't be offended by it but I don't know how else to do it -

01-18-2022, 10:26 AM
                        In your note to me you said "maybe if I get granted into the kingdom" I'll recognize you.

When you accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior, your salvation was assured. Look at these two scriptures -

John 3:36
                        He who believes in the Son has everlasting life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them.

Romans 10:9;
                        If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Jesus forgave your sins at the cross and you accepted Him as your savior - I'll see you in heaven one day! It's a sure thing.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltsfan70-2.0
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2022
                          • Send PM

Sending prayers and positive mojo

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂