Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    Listening to a Chargers podcast this morning
    they speculate that this move has a lot to do about Tbilly
    saying that in training camp, Tbilly as getting a lot of targets on offense and that everyone wanted to keep him
    everyone but Swinton, citing uselessness on ST
    Consideing Swinton was already forced to use a lot of raw rookies, Staley decided to entrust the veteran ST coach and part ways with Tbilly
    Just to have Tbilly show up on the raiders ST and cause Roberts to fumble.
    Makes sense to me
    Mystifying move at the time.....it seemed like T-billy was a lock to make the team;
    and then suddenly in the final preseason game, he's playing in the 2nd half with the rest of the cuts.

And yet, i can't believe that one mistake on personnel would do it...unless it was the final straw.
    Maybe, T-billy at the time balked at playing special teams: that it was beneath him.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

He is what he is - the record speaks for itself
      three coaches
      many philiosophies
      why he still has a job is beyond me - but my theory that he lets Johnny Boy play GM is the only one I have

I don't get the Spanii - but they are pretty stupid and Dean might be the most dense, obtuse owner in sports. He was gifted the team as the oldest child in a **** family and it shows. He couldn't open an ice stand in Death Valley in the summer and make money
      the photos of Deano...the photos.
      Last edited by Bolt-O; 01-15-2022, 09:13 AM. Reason: Edited for the same reason... post was flagged as not being politically correct.

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

Im starting to believe TT has basically reached his ceiling as a GM.Middle of the road GM will always produce a middle of the road team.
        Remember the model Team Spanos is using: The Indianapolis Colts

The team that was stolen from Baltimore in the middle of the night after the 1983 season, away from Baltimore fans. Dean's investment matures in two more seasons. Then he cashes out. The Chargers get another GM, that's my salty opinion.

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Back to Swinton....this is the BEST time of year to fire and hire: Senior Bowl week is like the Republican National Convention of football coaches and agents networking.
          Anyone know who Brandon Staley's agent is? My Google-Fu is strong but I found nothing. Point is, Brandon can pick up the phone and first look at his own agents list of who is available.

I believe the reason that Renaldo Hill, who I said should reasonably be given an assistant head coach title, then re-assigned to OLB coach, will stay on is: his level of discourse on concepts and ideas, is on another plane. Renaldo Hill has capacity for abstract thought, and Staley has a total stiffy for that.

It is possible that Staley believed some staid and stubborn concepts and clashed too often, and THE DEFENSE suffered because STALEY was spending an inordinate of time w/ special teams, and in order to budget his time better, Staley thought is best to upgrade that ST coach.

It's all good.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
            The reality is that while ST did improve in the season, we went from awful to mediocre. Add in a missed fg and a fumbled punt that led to a TD and that is 10 points we shit the bed on in the most important game of the season.
            You could also argue that in reality this team had some of the worse depth in the NFL, the guys that play special teams usually are back ups so let’s not pretend swinton had an all star cast to work with. Ryan smith was injured almost the entire year. He was dealing with freaking vizio, roundtree, and kj hill for pete’s sake! Once they gave him a couple weapons (PK/KR) the STs unit improved dramatically.
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Firing Swinton seems like a red flag to me, Staley needs to be careful, in the coaching fraternity word gets around quickly. If he gets labeled as a coach that fires people that show improvement when he himself didn’t exactly have the best year? That could be a problem, I’m not sure coaching was thembiggest issue on STs, I think a glaring lack of talent was because once swinton got a couple of competent players at returner and kicker his unit improved a lot.
              "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
                Firing Swinton seems like a red flag to me, Staley needs to be careful, in the coaching fraternity word gets around quickly. If he gets labeled as a coach that fires people that show improvement when he himself didn’t exactly have the best year? That could be a problem, I’m not sure coaching was thembiggest issue on STs, I think a glaring lack of talent was because once swinton got a couple of competent players at returner and kicker his unit improved a lot.
                And if Staley was spending an INORDINATE amount of time with that unit, excluding all others, does the smart coach - that is good at effectively managing processes, and time-management in his professional life, make the decision - despite the improvement - that he needed another coach?

Perhaps that was the case, so Staley can follow the Golden Rule of Business: Hire people smarter than yourself in a defined area and delegate.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                  Back to Swinton....this is the BEST time of year to fire and hire: Senior Bowl week is like the Republican National Convention of football coaches and agents networking.
                  Anyone know who Brandon Staley's agent is? My Google-Fu is strong but I found nothing. Point is, Brandon can pick up the phone and first look at his own agents list of who is available.

I believe the reason that Renaldo Hill, who I said should reasonably be given an assistant head coach title, then re-assigned to OLB coach, will stay on is: his level of discourse on concepts and ideas, is on another plane. Renaldo Hill has capacity for abstract thought, and Staley has a total stiffy for that.

It is possible that Staley believed some staid and stubborn concepts and clashed too often, and THE DEFENSE suffered because STALEY was spending an inordinate of time w/ special teams, and in order to budget his time better, Staley thought is best to upgrade that ST coach.

It's all good.
                  I wouldn't think so.

Staley has limited experience dealing with special teams at any level; sure, he'll ask questions, but to presume starting off that he can 'fix' things by being present at special teams meetings, or by focusing on the nuances of special teams coverage schemes gives him a bit too much credit.

He was the defensive signal caller: that is enough to steer him towards spending an awful lot of his time on defense.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

And if Staley was spending an INORDINATE amount of time with that unit, excluding all others, does the smart coach - that is good at effectively managing processes, and time-management in his professional life, make the decision - despite the improvement - that he needed another coach?

Perhaps that was the case, so Staley can follow the Golden Rule of Business: Hire people smarter than yourself in a defined area and delegate.

So staley stripped Swinton of coaching duties and pulled double duty in season? I had no idea that happened, this is the first I hear of that, I stand corrected then, please post a link to the story I want to read that.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Staley is not lacking for confidence, that's for sure.

Comment

• Xenos
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

He is what he is - the record speaks for itself
                        three coaches
                        many philiosophies
                        why he still has a job is beyond me - but my theory that he lets Johnny Boy play GM is the only one I have

I don't get the Spanii - but they are pretty stupid and Dean might be the most dense, obtuse owner in sports. He was gifted the team as the oldest child **** and it shows. He couldn't open an ice stand in Death Valley in the summer and make money
                        Nah, Dean is pretty middle of the road when it comes to being an owner. There are far worse in the NFL when it comes to denseness and obtuseness.

Comment

• Xenos
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

It’s only a red flag if it keeps happening. Brian Flores kept firing his OCs every year for example, and he probably won’t have issues getting a head coaching job again.

It’s better that Staley does it now and move on from a mistake than be stubborn until his job is on the line.

Comment

Working...
                          X